“Cosy and relaxed”

The Abbey
Ranked #13 of 26 Restaurants in Tuam
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 11 September 2016

Was pleasantly surprised as it's very cosy, clean and the food was very good. It was free from annoying flies etc as the door was shut but still very airy. Didn't feel under pressure to free up table. Very friendly girl serving, would recommend this place for a nice coffee/food and relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

Only went for coffee and sandwiches. Good selection of sandwiches, wraps and bagel with a couple of hot dishes on specials board. Coffee was great and food was very good. Staff were brilliant.

Reviewed 3 November 2015

I went there today for lunch. The staff member was freindly and efficient. The menu selection is limited but well presented. It was not extraordinary, it was just average.

Reviewed 26 August 2015

We stopped off at the Abbey while shopping in Tuam last Saturday. I'd heard a lot of positive things about this restaurant.

I was terribly let down. We were quickly seated and then I went to the bathroom with our kids. The ladies toilets are terrible and were really dirty.

Back at the table our order was taken quickly. TheSugerbeat festival menu was not extensive so we opted for two adult portions of chicken goujons and chips and three kids portions of the same. We ordered a jug of cordial for the kids and a small Carlsberg and a Smithwicks shandy. The drinks quickly arrived. The kids drink was fine, however, my Smithwicks shandy wasn't a shandy and my husband's Carlsberg was a Carlsberg shandy. When we made the waitress aware of this she insisted my Smithwicks was a shandy and replaced my husbands drink with yet another shandy. I didn't want to complain about my drink again, but my husband wasn't going to drink a shandy. So it was third time lucky.

Then the food was served. The chicken goujons weren't freshly made but deep fried from frozen. The chips were dry and the salad was wilted. I could not finish my food and gave more than half of it to the kids who didn't seem to mind the dryness of the chips or the qualitty of the goujons. My husband also did not finish his food which is very unusual for him.

We won't be back anytime soon.

2  Thank Clare O
Reviewed 25 August 2015 via mobile

A delightful surprise find along the way. The food was delicious and the owners were wonderfully gracious and friendly.