“Heaven on a plate! ”

The Lady Helen Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Thomastown
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We were given a voucher for the signature tasting menu paired with wine (worth €135 total each) & availed of it on a Wednesday night in March. I noticed there is a table d'hote menu & vegetarian tasting menu also. There are two rooms to sit in & we chose the bigger room which had a lovely atmosphere. It was a 3 & ½ hour tasting extravaganza which we thoroughly enjoyed. We had prosecco to start followed by a pre-amuse bouche of smoked mackerel lemon & horseradish in a cone, a delicious mouthful that whet the appetite. One of the waiters briefly explained the amuse bouche, but I didn't understand so asked for a repetition & still didn't understand exactly what the ingredients were however it was mouthwatering. We were offered warm bread twice & I savoured the curry & cumin bread & sourdough options. The next course was scallops with leek lardo sourdough & ash which was paired with a 2016 Sancerre. Fabulous & my favourite: I could've have eaten 3 times the scallops as they melted in the mouth. Next was cod with lime, cucumber & seaweed butter, paired with a 2016 Oropasso, the meal was getting better & better. The main course was wild wicklow venison cooked to perfection & served with beetroot, black trompettes & juniper berries. I felt there could have been more venison or some form of potato/carbohydrate on the plate to make it perfect. It was paired with a full bodied 2015 Chateau Pesquie. Divine. Predessert was orange sorbet with a surprising sensation. This was followed by deconstructed tiramisu served with an espresso martini. Finally we chose coffee served with 7 delicious petit fours (I particularly enjoyed the mini lemon meringue & chocolate sour cherry ones). The pace of the meal was perfect. Service was efficient & friendly. What a heavenly meal! Compliments to the team of chefs involved in their flavourful food creations. My dining partner said it was the best meal in her life & it was in my top three. We hope to return some day!

Reviewed 20 February 2018

Myself and my wife dined here for our first wedding anniversary celebratory meal on Saturday 3rd February and decided to spoil ourselves and opt for the 7 course tasting menu and wine pairing.

We left a more detailed review via a direct email review request received from the restaurant.

To summarise our experience:

- Food was almost flawless and the staff were lovely.
- Every course was delicious except for the rhubarb dessert which we felt was under poached.
- Wine didn't come until after the 1st course.
- The staff were less unavailable and appeared more tired and sluggish as the night progressed. I'm not sure if they were understaffed that night but they seemed to be overworked.
- Nearby tables were left un-cleared towards the end of the night.
- Other tables seemed to be getting served their courses more promptly.
- 4 hour dining experience was too long and became more boring and tedious waiting for our finishing courses.

Overall we expected a Michelin Star dining experience and we unfortunately we did not receive this. The cost of this meal which we have have not budgeted or stretched to before was not worth it and most certainly took the shine off of our first wedding anniversary celebrations.

1  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

We had very high expectations dining here and they were surpassed!!! The food is just divine, the flavors are like nothing I’ve ever tasted before, absolutely fabulous. I would highly recommend

1  Thank asilryan
Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

Whilst staying at the resort we dined at The Lady Helen and given it's reputation our expectations were set high.
The atmosphere in the room was welcoming and easy to relax into. The decor was intriguing yet calming.
The service team are highly skilled, and very discreet yet attentive. A little more warmth would round it out perfectly.
The real highlight of the experience however was the food, which delighted us at every course (including the surprises, which seemed to keep coming). Each element of each dish was expertly crafted with no lazy shortcuts. The individual flavours were splendid, and when combined together were simply magical. Overall a night to remember, and a strong temptation to return!

1  Thank DaraghMurphy
Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful meal here last night. The team were exceptional in the service they offered and the food was out of this world. As a pescatarian I was delighted with the tasting menu which they adjusted accordingly. Top class.

1  Thank Sarah Conor B