“Fabulous Family Break”

Castlemartyr Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Castlemartyr
Reviewed 7 November 2012

My husband, son and I stayed for 3 nights during the October Bank holiday weekend. We had the most amazing time. From the drive into the grounds with the witches hanging out of trees, to the pumpkins everywhere, there was a wonderfully festive ambiance. We'd booked a junior suite and weren't disappointed in the slightest. We ate in the hotel 2 of the nights (one fine dining) and really enjoyed the meals there as well. My husband played golf twice and on one of the days my son (6) and I got a picnic and went for a walk in the grounds. We did go to Fota Wildlife park one of the days as well, but even if we hadn't I think we could have done more exploring the nature trails. On our last night we also did the ghost tour run by the hotel and I must say we were genuinely freaked out a couple of times during it, but the young fella loved it. All in all we really couldn't have asked for more, the only worry is that we'll compare future hotels to it!

Room Tip: The junior suite was extra but worth it for the space with kids.
1  Thank frequent_traveller09
Write a ReviewReviews (1,769)

Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

We escaped for just one night, just my husband and I. From the moment we drove through the entrance gates, I had a feeling of getting away from it all. The hotel is so luxurious and grande but the staff are friendly and helpful. It is the ideal place to go as a special treat. I cannot wait to return! Food delicious and decor beautiful. I cannot find fault with it. Love it!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We (family of 2 adults and 4 children) stayed at the Castlemartyr resort for 2 nights over the October Bank-holiday weekend. We stayed in one of the 3 bedroomed apartments on the grounds. This was nice and near the main hotel. However this is where the positive side ends! The website highlights the "kids zone" with Wii etc. However when we were there it is "closed" in preparation for Halloween!!! - despite being there on the bank holiday weekend running into Halloween. There was no sign up to suggest an alternative and when I asked at the desk - I was directed to one of the named rooms - think it was the "Midleton suite" where there was an empty room with a few boxes of bricks and a mid room display of "baby blocks". A major disappointment!!! We are professionals and had specifically picked this hotel as it seems to be child friendly with activities for children!!! NOT.
Anyway what really disappointed me - for a 5 star resort was the response to my complaint. When I approached the reception, a young man (who said that he was in charge) simply said that there was nothing he could do. I did say that I wanted to complain formally and he say very politely that he was sorry but there was nothing he could do and that it would be open after the weekend. He did not seem to have any training in responding to complaints and I (who work in healthcare) am aware that it is essential to take complaints seriously and at least acknowledge them and say that someone will respond to you. I had to insist on writing a formal complaint - which he let me do on a blank sheet of paper. I left my mobile but a week later have heard nothing - extremely unprofessional in my point of view. I will not be back. We moved to the nearby Garryvoe hotel - far more comfortable with friendly staff (who could not do enough for us!! - a change). I will not be back and would advise those with children to avoid and for a 5 -star hotel the response to my complaint was pathetic.

PS: They insist in the pool that you bring your own towels from the apartment, or charge you per towel which is cheap!! I realise that the apartments are managed separately but they state that you have full access to the hotel services
Also - I left a complaint on the website but a week later have heard nothing - AVOID***

3  Thank GalwayN13
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We recently stayed at this wonderful hotel. From the moment we arrived we felt relaxed. It was a beautiful October day - sunny but chilly and once inside there was such a warm and cosy feeling. Check-in was smooth with helpful staff and we were delighted to see the two lovely dogs behind reception which added to the whole relaxed atmosphere. Our bedroom was large and extremely comfortable, fabulous spacious bathroom and a lovely view onto the garden. Excellent leisure centre with fab pool and an added bonus which I found out on arrival is their spa is an ESPA spa so had a wonderful treatment in the afternoon. We ate in the bar in the evening, again a lovely atmosphere and the whole setting is delightful, particularly the striking design on the ceiling which really comes to life in the evening light. Breakfast was truly delicious and the buffet was neatly displayed. The smoked mackerel was so flavoursome and the brown bread was really tasty. I even asked if I could take some home with me and they gave me a generous portion to enjoy later. Overall a wonderful stay, great staff - attentive and obliging. We stayed one night but felt we had been away for a week - can't wait to return. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed here for one night. From the moment we arrived at Reception to our check out our stay was amazing. This hotel is truly beautiful - our room was excellent - room service and breakfast was excellent and all the staff were excellent.

Thanks again to the lovely Receptionist Amanda who was so kind to our little person who fell on her way into the Hotel.

Can't wait for my next stay in Castlemartyr.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlemartyr
Fota Island Resort
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Cliff House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ardmore

Been to Castlemartyr Resort? Share your experiences!