“Wedding reception in Castlemartyr Resort”

Castlemartyr Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Castlemartyr
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I chose the Castlemartyr Resort for our wedding reception in June 2012. From the outset when we booked it in 2011, the staff, in particular Jackie Day, could not have been more helpful. They were organised, efficient with replies to emails, and kept our plans on track with gentle reminders of when we needed to make different arrangements for the big day. This is particular aided us, as we were organising our wedding from London. Due to their wealth of experience in hosting wedding receptions, they were able to recommend music for our drinks reception and caterers for a hog roast in the late evening. Our menu tasting in April was very enjoyable where we, including our parents, really felt like we could tailor make the menu to suit our tastes and the tastes of our 150 guests. There wasn't an issue with tasting all the banqueting wines.
When it came to our wedding day, we really felt like everything was in very competent hands. We were able to relax completely and enjoy it. Andrew Phelan, the GM, and Jackie were present throughout the day, ensuring luggage etc made it to the right rooms and that all our guests felt looked after. Jackie was very creative with the table plan and table arrangements. The food was as good as what we had tasted in April, we were able to stay in the banqueting room playing acoustic music until the early hours of the morning, and everything went off without a hitch.
I would have no hesitation in recommending Castlemartyr as a venue for a wedding reception which can be personalised to suit the couple. We had a fantastic experience with them, not only on the day but also on the 18 month lead up to the day. Most importantly, our confidence in the staff's capabilites secured peace of mind for us to thoroughly enjoy our day!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,768)

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Just returned from a weekend at this hotel with my husband. We were travelling from Dublin and its a long 2.5/3hr drive.

Good Points:
- Grounds are very nice and its worth taking the bikes to cycle around to see them.
- Una and all of the staff were very helpful and pleasant. Very good customer service.
- Food was beautiful in the Bell Tower and Bar (heard mixed reviews about the clubhouse from other guests...)
- Lady playing the piano in the lobby was very nice

Bad Points:
- Its a good 20min walk through the grounds to the local pub. This is slightly off putting in heels if you fancy going out at night for a drink / dinner elsewhere. Therefore you must eat/drink in the hotel, which is expensive
- While the room was quite large, I 100% agree with all of the other reviews below regarding the room amenities - horrible recycled grey toilet paper, NO SHOWER/BATH GEL etc. This to me was a big thing, considering I hate having to pack big bottles of shower gel. They should be provided in all hotels - especially a ''5 star''?
- The fridge in the room did not work
- We didnt sleep a wink with the uncomfortable beds and pillows
- There were stains on the carpet and dust on the furniture
- There was a wedding on in the hotel and needless to say there was lots of noise. I think the hotel should advise guests at time of booking that there is a wedding, so you could avoid it!
- Pool was ok, but its full of kids for the best parts of the day, so we avoided it (dissapointing)
- We had no kids with us and wanted a relaxing break, but this resort is full of kids running around!!!!!!! I've no problem normally with this, but we are paying for peace and quiet and not for kids bumping into us and knocking the waitors over with our food.... and parents not controlling them...
- The food in the bell tower was lovely but no atmosphere whatsoever. No one spoke!
- Yes it is a long walk to the car park and even longer to the rooms. Didnt bother us too much, but could see why others complained.

Overall, the hotel was nice, but is definately not a 5 star as it doesnt live up to that standard. Its very very expenisve for food and drinks and as its a far walk to the town, they have somewhat of a monoply on this. (e.g. glass of house wine was €8 and Fish & Chips €20). Perhaps they got away with these prices 10yrs ago, but not sure anymore..
Its fantastic for kids, but if you dont want to see / hear kids running wild, then this is not for you.....
The staff and food are the hotels saving grace.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from weddings and the car park.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank missyjm
GMCastlemartyr, Front Office Manager at Castlemartyr Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Thank you for your review following your August stay at Castlemartyr. I am disappointed that there were aspects of your stay in the area and at the Hotel that you did not enjoy. Please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations, and for the short comings that you experienced. Your feedback is a valuable tool to ensure that the shortfall in our standards can be rectified and are not repeated in the future. With best regards.

Front Office Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2012

A wonderful room and fantastic breakfast made up for a poor first impression. The parking was horrific and there was no valet in sight. After dropping me of at the front my husband went to hunt down a space. Just then a wedding party arrived, I managed to sneak past feeling very out of place and entered the hotel. I felt as if had crashed into someone's wedding a there were guests everywhere, champagne being handed out and a man playing the piano. Was this the hotel? Had I made a mistake? Where was the front desk? Grabbing my bag I turned round a corner to find the front desk. So I went to check in only yo be told that the room may not be ready- it was 5pm. Just then my husband arrived, he to felt like he had crashed a wedding. Finally we were checked in and our room upgraded. The room was fantastic, huge bed and fab bathroom. There were a few areas which could be improved but nothing worth hat stopped us from enjoying the room. Breakfast was very good with a good selection from the buffet and menu. Views over the garden were also fantastic.
The other issue we had was poor communication between the front desk and doorman. We had ordered a taxi for 12 as we had a wedding to get to. A taxi was waiting but the doorman informed us it was not ours. After 10 min we went to the front desk only to be told it was our taxi. Not a 5 star service. After staying in a fair few 5 star hotels I can not give more than average as an overall rating. The service was no where near good enough.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Great to know that many aspects of your stay at Castlemartyr were enjoyable, but disappointed that we fell short on our normally high standards. Your feedback is very helpful to us in ensuring that we continue to deliver consistently good service. We hope to see you back in the future.

With best regards.
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a family wedding Sept 2011. It was a truly wonderful experience back then and the staff second to none led by general manager Mr. Phelan. We had said we would come back for a few nights on our own and we did just that middle of July last, wish it could have been sooner. We discovered you can improve on perfection because this hotel is amazing and hits top notes in every avenue from food to ambiance to rooms to staff etc. It gets better and better. We actually had a bet on that Andrew Phelan would not be there when we arrived...though he could not be........I lost the bet....he was there at front door with such a welcome smile...........I know others ask the same question....does the man ever sleep? He quite obviously adores this hotel and his staff rate him very highly he is doing an amazing job. I must google him because he is a highly motivated experienced manager of five star hotel, wonder where he honed those skills? I hope the powers that be appreciate this man as he seems to be the powerhouse that energises everyone here. The staff from Mr Phelan down really make this place what it is. Again the grounds, the food, the spa, the walks, the rooms etc etc were fantastic. We have told so many people they have to book Castlemartyr and to look out for Andrew, Dermot, Mrs Feton, Cathal, Amy and all the other staff too numerous to mention. We both played golf and the course is top notch. Thanks Brady and staff here too.

Oh I mentioned the very efficient humourous guy in maintenance Morris last time.....staff told us he is out after an op....get well soon to you and hope to see you the next time.

As I said I think in my last review......do not change anything or anyone here..........everything is spot on.

Thanks to all for an amazing few days.........see you in October when we will be back.....we refuse to go anywhere else now.

Room Tip: We have stayed in Manor House and this time in the newer extension. Apart from a bit of a walk to r...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stayed in castle martyr resort for 3 days as part of our family holiday. Kids club was great very different from other hotels, nature walks and pony and carriage rides which were a great hit. The teenagers enjoyed cycling around the lovely grounds on the old fashioned bikes. As adults we had a lovely relaxing time, food saw excellent and very friendly staff. Will definitely go back.

Best rooms I've ever stayed in!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlemartyr
Fota Island Resort
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Cliff House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ardmore

Been to Castlemartyr Resort? Share your experiences!