1,975 results
All reviewsbell towerknights barjunior suiteafternoon teagolf clubfive star hotelgarden roomstar experiencemanor housebeautiful hotellovely groundsspa treatmentswedding partystar serviceeast corktop classnespresso machine
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Just returned from a weekend at this hotel with my husband. We were travelling from Dublin and its a long 2.5/3hr drive.

Good Points:
- Grounds are very nice and its worth taking the bikes to cycle around to see them.
- Una and all of the staff were very helpful and pleasant. Very good customer service.
- Food was beautiful in the Bell Tower and Bar (heard mixed reviews about the clubhouse from other guests...)
- Lady playing the piano in the lobby was very nice

Bad Points:
- Its a good 20min walk through the grounds to the local pub. This is slightly off putting in heels if you fancy going out at night for a drink / dinner elsewhere. Therefore you must eat/drink in the hotel, which is expensive
- While the room was quite large, I 100% agree with all of the other reviews below regarding the room amenities - horrible recycled grey toilet paper, NO SHOWER/BATH GEL etc. This to me was a big thing, considering I hate having to pack big bottles of shower gel. They should be provided in all hotels - especially a ''5 star''?
- The fridge in the room did not work
- We didnt sleep a wink with the uncomfortable beds and pillows
- There were stains on the carpet and dust on the furniture
- There was a wedding on in the hotel and needless to say there was lots of noise. I think the hotel should advise guests at time of booking that there is a wedding, so you could avoid it!
- Pool was ok, but its full of kids for the best parts of the day, so we avoided it (dissapointing)
- We had no kids with us and wanted a relaxing break, but this resort is full of kids running around!!!!!!! I've no problem normally with this, but we are paying for peace and quiet and not for kids bumping into us and knocking the waitors over with our food.... and parents not controlling them...
- The food in the bell tower was lovely but no atmosphere whatsoever. No one spoke!
- Yes it is a long walk to the car park and even longer to the rooms. Didnt bother us too much, but could see why others complained.

Overall, the hotel was nice, but is definately not a 5 star as it doesnt live up to that standard. Its very very expenisve for food and drinks and as its a far walk to the town, they have somewhat of a monoply on this. (e.g. glass of house wine was €8 and Fish & Chips €20). Perhaps they got away with these prices 10yrs ago, but not sure anymore..
Its fantastic for kids, but if you dont want to see / hear kids running wild, then this is not for you.....
The staff and food are the hotels saving grace.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from weddings and the car park.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank missyjm
GMCastlemartyr, Front Office Manager at Castlemartyr Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Thank you for your review following your August stay at Castlemartyr. I am disappointed that there were aspects of your stay in the area and at the Hotel that you did not enjoy. Please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations, and for the short comings that you experienced. Your feedback is a valuable tool to ensure that the shortfall in our standards can be rectified and are not repeated in the future. With best regards.

Front Office Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2012

A wonderful room and fantastic breakfast made up for a poor first impression. The parking was horrific and there was no valet in sight. After dropping me of at the front my husband went to hunt down a space. Just then a wedding party arrived, I managed to sneak past feeling very out of place and entered the hotel. I felt as if had crashed into someone's wedding a there were guests everywhere, champagne being handed out and a man playing the piano. Was this the hotel? Had I made a mistake? Where was the front desk? Grabbing my bag I turned round a corner to find the front desk. So I went to check in only yo be told that the room may not be ready- it was 5pm. Just then my husband arrived, he to felt like he had crashed a wedding. Finally we were checked in and our room upgraded. The room was fantastic, huge bed and fab bathroom. There were a few areas which could be improved but nothing worth hat stopped us from enjoying the room. Breakfast was very good with a good selection from the buffet and menu. Views over the garden were also fantastic.
The other issue we had was poor communication between the front desk and doorman. We had ordered a taxi for 12 as we had a wedding to get to. A taxi was waiting but the doorman informed us it was not ours. After 10 min we went to the front desk only to be told it was our taxi. Not a 5 star service. After staying in a fair few 5 star hotels I can not give more than average as an overall rating. The service was no where near good enough.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Great to know that many aspects of your stay at Castlemartyr were enjoyable, but disappointed that we fell short on our normally high standards. Your feedback is very helpful to us in ensuring that we continue to deliver consistently good service. We hope to see you back in the future.

With best regards.
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a family wedding Sept 2011. It was a truly wonderful experience back then and the staff second to none led by general manager Mr. Phelan. We had said we would come back for a few nights on our own and we did just that middle of July last, wish it could have been sooner. We discovered you can improve on perfection because this hotel is amazing and hits top notes in every avenue from food to ambiance to rooms to staff etc. It gets better and better. We actually had a bet on that Andrew Phelan would not be there when we arrived...though he could not be........I lost the bet....he was there at front door with such a welcome smile...........I know others ask the same question....does the man ever sleep? He quite obviously adores this hotel and his staff rate him very highly he is doing an amazing job. I must google him because he is a highly motivated experienced manager of five star hotel, wonder where he honed those skills? I hope the powers that be appreciate this man as he seems to be the powerhouse that energises everyone here. The staff from Mr Phelan down really make this place what it is. Again the grounds, the food, the spa, the walks, the rooms etc etc were fantastic. We have told so many people they have to book Castlemartyr and to look out for Andrew, Dermot, Mrs Feton, Cathal, Amy and all the other staff too numerous to mention. We both played golf and the course is top notch. Thanks Brady and staff here too.

Oh I mentioned the very efficient humourous guy in maintenance Morris last time.....staff told us he is out after an op....get well soon to you and hope to see you the next time.

As I said I think in my last review......do not change anything or anyone here..........everything is spot on.

Thanks to all for an amazing few days.........see you in October when we will be back.....we refuse to go anywhere else now.

Room Tip: We have stayed in Manor House and this time in the newer extension. Apart from a bit of a walk to room this time we would highly recommend either. Both stunning........amazing views wherever you are in this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stayed in castle martyr resort for 3 days as part of our family holiday. Kids club was great very different from other hotels, nature walks and pony and carriage rides which were a great hit. The teenagers enjoyed cycling around the lovely grounds on the old fashioned bikes. As adults we had a lovely relaxing time, food saw excellent and very friendly staff. Will definitely go back.

Best rooms I've ever stayed in!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a two night break with himself. Very impressed!!
We both found it thoroughly relaxing and really enjoyed our stay here.
We arrived on the Saturday shortly before 3pm and as this is the specified check in time I expected our room would not be ready however it was. Reception staff and doormen are professional and very friendly.
We like a hotel where we can check in and not have to leave the hotel until we depart in two days time and this hotel proved perfect.
We stayed in deluxe room, which was stunning, bathroom also fab, actually identical to the bathrooms in the Ritz Carlton in Powerscourt. Bed was amazing and we both sleep so well here.
On arrrival we headed to the lounge to for a light bite and a couple of glasses of wine. it was very relaxing but a wedding party arrived and the staff started reserving all the tables around us and the wedding party took over the lounge area, we started to feel uncomfortable so we just went back to the room.
We had dinner included as part of our package and dined in the restaurant on the first night. The restaurant is very nice however the set menu was very limited but we were offered the main menu at an additional cost and we were happy with this.
Felt the wine list was a little limited, big French wine influence therefore if your not keen on French wine the selection is quite small.
Breakfast was very good on both morning with a large selection availabloe to suit all tastes ghowever on Sunday morning it was a buffet full irish, was very very busy and the food was cold. Second morning no buffet and himself said full Irish was perfect!
Took out the fabulous setters Earl and Countess for a walk on Sunday morning after breakfast. Was the highlight of my stay, they are beautiful dogs and there are great walks through the estate with ponies to meet along the way.
Had light lunch in the Clubhouse which we both loved. Staff here were exceptional with the manager convincing me to try the French sauvignon blanc which was very pleasing and I normally would steer away from French whites. It was absolutely pouring rain at this stage and we would have happily stayed here for the day (TV's all round showing the days sport for himself!!) however we had treatments booked in the spa.
Treatments were very good, but leisure centre area had a hugh amount of children around.(hotel in general had a lot of children around but as its summer holidays this is to be expected i suppose!)
Dined in resturant on second night and was disappointed to be given the identical menu to the first night. The menu appears to be one set table d'ote menu with no a la carte and therefore choice is very limited. and as the lounge stops serving food at 6, the evening food offering in general is quite limited. The clubhouse does serve until approx 8.30 i think and we would have dined here had we known the menu would not at all change. (that would however have involved a long walk in the rain!)
Rooms were turned down nightly which was a pleasant surprise as many 5* hotels we have recently stayed in have this only on a request basis. Beautiful choclates were left on the bed which is a lovely touch, towels and water replenished where necessary.
All in all we absolutely loved this hotel and we are already thinking of returning in October for a few days.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple