“Super five star experience”

Castlemartyr Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Castlemartyr
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in the magnificent resort. I am currently 35weeks pregnant so we wanted a lovely relaxing break away. I am delighted to say that this is exactly what we got. Castle martyr blends the old with the new effortlessly and stylishly. Staff were excellent, room was huge and very luxurious, the remote control curtains were a nice touch. Pool was nice and clean but not very child friendly, no shallow bit. We absolutely loved our stay here but beware the bar stops serving food around 5.30 which is very early and was the only fault we could find with the resort. There is no doubt that this is a different type of hotel compared to other five star hotels. It does have an air of poshness about it but we loved it for a special weekend away, before baby number one arrives.

Room Tip: The standard double deluxe room is in the new part of the hotel and is a bit of a trek from the rece...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We reserved a 2 bedroom house on the Castlemartyr Hotel site with full use of the hotel facilities, booked through Natural Retreats .We arrived to a spotlessly clean house with a lovely welcome basket of bread, local marmalade,eggs & coffee, a really nice touch. We requested stairgates, a highchair & travel cot ( a tiny teddy bear was placed on top of the travel cot - another nice touch!) which were all present & spotless. The house is a great size & our 3 kids made great use of all the space. All the mod cons are provided & they even provided the dishwasher tablets etc. Decorated to a high standard. Outside the patio area is a communal garden which we also used a fair bit. The resort wasn't very busy when we were there so I don't know how the communal gardens are when its full to capacity. Its a 3/4 minute through a leafy walkway to the hotel. We ate in the hotel twice (bar food type menu) & the food was lovely. We ordered & collected food from the golf club once & the food was quite poor, that & the bad weather were the only downside to our stay. The hotel grounds are well maintained & they have horses & swans on the site. You can also borrow bikes from reception which is good fun. We used the pool, I wouldn't class the pool as child friendly being 1.8 metres deep. Our eldest child managed but our other 2 children needed assistance as the water was that bit too deep. I would recommend that you bring swimming aids if you are bringing small children. There is an unsupervised playroom which is big & airy. The nearest 'supermarket' is a Centra/Spar in the town which is hugely expensive so would recommend that you stock up in a normal supermarket before you get to Castlemartyr. Natural Retreats have on-site staff should you have an queries etc & they were really friendly & efficient. Also, the staff in the hotel were lovely & even organised to drop us all back to our house one evening when we got caught in a heavy rainshower - So full marks for customer service! Lovely place would recommend & would return!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed in the lodges which are lovely, they're a short distance from the hotel and they operate a collection service to ferry guests to and from the hotel and even the nearby village for free. The wedding reception itself was great, champagne reception on arrival and a beautifully decorated room. The meal was absolutely gorgeous and the staff were always smiling, friendly and willing to help. I used the gym too which was lovely and quiet and looks out on the beautiful gardens. Lovely hotel, lovely location and lovely staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your review. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Lodges on the Castlemartyr Estate. I very much appreciate your very positive comments as it means so much to us to know that we are delivering genuine hospitality. I hope that you will come back to us again sometime in the future.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

It`s taken a while to write this review.....we stayed last year. I am writing this review specifically in relation to my families experience....as my wife is in a wheelchair. As others have said, the accommodation block is a long way from reception, but we were told this at booking....so no issues. The room itself is where a lot of my issues were.... there was a limited amount of space down either side of the bed for someone in a wheelchair to transfer to the bed. The bed was actually, two single beds pushed together & they weren`t secured together. As well as being two separate beds, they were on castors on a wooden floor....moved all over the place....disaster. The bathroom was fine when in it, but had a much too narrow turning point for someone in a wheelchair to actually get through the door. Aircon was a continual problem....never worked properly....too warm. Eating options are limited & expensive....fine dining in restauarant...average meal approx €75 per head!! Bar area....nice....but again a bit `stuffy`.....whispering only.....teenagers not allowed in Bar after 9.30....Burger & chips in bar €16 - €18. You can eat in the clubhouse, but it`s more like a creche as this is where all the families eat with their kids as they are put off by the prices & options in the Main Restauarant...also, it`s quite a walk to Clubhouse ( 10mins ) ....car required if wet. The Hotel booked horse riding for my daughter, prior to our arrival.....did not realise it was going to be 8 miles away! Additionally, they knew nothing about the booking when we got to the horse riding `centre`......quite amazed a 5 star hotel would align itself with a place so run down....very disappointing for my daughter not getting to ride.

I don`t want to make it look like there was nothing positive about our stay....the grounds are absolutely georgous....very spacious, but I would consider this location more suited to couples.....my 2 daughters ( 11 & 14 ) felt restricted by the atmosphere.....a more casual restaurant ( within the hotel ) with better & more affordable dining options would be a start.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AJ49
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to give me your feedback following your stay last year. I am very sorry that you found certain aspects of the hotel did not meet your needs and the needs of your family particularly well. I recognise that these issues would prove inconvenient for you and for the family's overall enjoyment of a break away, and I am sorry that we did not get to sort out these problems when you were resident here in the hotel.

I would love to welcome you back to Castlemartyr and should you wish to return please contact me direct so that I can look after your booking myself.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Just returned from a weekend break in Castlemartyr resort. This is a stunning manor located in a magnificent countryside setting. The staff are so professional and courteous. We arrived late on friday night . The restaurants were closed at this time and so with a phone call to reception, we were offered a full bar menu in the 'living room'. The knights bar is really comfortable - with high ceilings and a log fire burning in the evening. perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine ...with a piano player based just outside in the lobby. Our room was huge with great views - possibly one of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in. We enjoyed the spa facilities on saturday afternoon which are great and another bonus is that children are only allowed in the pool at designated times during the day. We found the food great - for both breakfast and dinner. The servers are efficient and friendly. Possibly the only point that weekend visitors should be aware of is that the hotel is very popular for weddings. The only time that wedding visitors were evident was at their arrival ....when the bar tends to get swamped and so it can be a little uncomfortable sitting in the middle of a wedding party. I noticed that some guests moved from the bar to the living room. that said, the wedding party moved to the function room within an hour or two, where they were contained for the evening. In summary, a fantastic weekend break for anyone looking for a quiet and peaceful break in fabulous surroundings.

Room Tip: The hotel is quite spread out so anyone with walking difficulties should make reception aware so you...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slopster408
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your review. Delighted that Castlemartyr delivered to you a great weekend away. I am looking forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Andrew Phelan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlemartyr
Fota Island Resort
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Cliff House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ardmore

Been to Castlemartyr Resort? Share your experiences!