1,999 results
All reviews bell tower knights bar junior suite afternoon tea golf club five star hotel garden room star experience manor house beautiful hotel lovely grounds spa treatments wedding party star service east cork top class nespresso machine
Reviewed 19 June 2012

It`s taken a while to write this review.....we stayed last year. I am writing this review specifically in relation to my families experience....as my wife is in a wheelchair. As others have said, the accommodation block is a long way from reception, but we were told this at booking....so no issues. The room itself is where a lot of my issues were.... there was a limited amount of space down either side of the bed for someone in a wheelchair to transfer to the bed. The bed was actually, two single beds pushed together & they weren`t secured together. As well as being two separate beds, they were on castors on a wooden floor....moved all over the place....disaster. The bathroom was fine when in it, but had a much too narrow turning point for someone in a wheelchair to actually get through the door. Aircon was a continual problem....never worked properly....too warm. Eating options are limited & expensive....fine dining in restauarant...average meal approx €75 per head!! Bar area....nice....but again a bit `stuffy`.....whispering only.....teenagers not allowed in Bar after 9.30....Burger & chips in bar €16 - €18. You can eat in the clubhouse, but it`s more like a creche as this is where all the families eat with their kids as they are put off by the prices & options in the Main Restauarant...also, it`s quite a walk to Clubhouse ( 10mins ) ....car required if wet. The Hotel booked horse riding for my daughter, prior to our arrival.....did not realise it was going to be 8 miles away! Additionally, they knew nothing about the booking when we got to the horse riding `centre`......quite amazed a 5 star hotel would align itself with a place so run down....very disappointing for my daughter not getting to ride.

I don`t want to make it look like there was nothing positive about our stay....the grounds are absolutely georgous....very spacious, but I would consider this location more suited to couples.....my 2 daughters ( 11 & 14 ) felt restricted by the atmosphere.....a more casual restaurant ( within the hotel ) with better & more affordable dining options would be a start.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AJ49
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to give me your feedback following your stay last year. I am very sorry that you found certain aspects of the hotel did not meet your needs and the needs of your family particularly well. I recognise that these issues would prove inconvenient for you and for the family's overall enjoyment of a break away, and I am sorry that we did not get to sort out these problems when you were resident here in the hotel.

I would love to welcome you back to Castlemartyr and should you wish to return please contact me direct so that I can look after your booking myself.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Just returned from a weekend break in Castlemartyr resort. This is a stunning manor located in a magnificent countryside setting. The staff are so professional and courteous. We arrived late on friday night . The restaurants were closed at this time and so with a phone call to reception, we were offered a full bar menu in the 'living room'. The knights bar is really comfortable - with high ceilings and a log fire burning in the evening. perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine ...with a piano player based just outside in the lobby. Our room was huge with great views - possibly one of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in. We enjoyed the spa facilities on saturday afternoon which are great and another bonus is that children are only allowed in the pool at designated times during the day. We found the food great - for both breakfast and dinner. The servers are efficient and friendly. Possibly the only point that weekend visitors should be aware of is that the hotel is very popular for weddings. The only time that wedding visitors were evident was at their arrival ....when the bar tends to get swamped and so it can be a little uncomfortable sitting in the middle of a wedding party. I noticed that some guests moved from the bar to the living room. that said, the wedding party moved to the function room within an hour or two, where they were contained for the evening. In summary, a fantastic weekend break for anyone looking for a quiet and peaceful break in fabulous surroundings.

Room Tip: The hotel is quite spread out so anyone with walking difficulties should make reception aware so you can be accomodated closer to the restaurant /bar/living room area.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slopster408
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your review. Delighted that Castlemartyr delivered to you a great weekend away. I am looking forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

We held our wedding in the Castlemartyr Resort on the 1st of June. From the first meeting to the weekend of the wedding the service was impeccable. All our guests were made feel extremely welcome. The staff bent over backwards to accommodate every request both we and our guests had. The hotel and the lodge provided excellent, modern, clean, comfortable accommodation and accompanied by superb service. The food was amazing and managed to impress all our guests not just on the day of the wedding but also through out the weekend. I am delighted we choose the Castlematyr Resort and look forward to returning as a guest to enjoy their stunning grounds and amazing hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your very kind comments, I am so pleased that your wedding day was truly a special day for you and your families. Our main aim at Castlemartyr is to provide genuine hospitality and thank you for recognising our efforts. We all look forward to welcoming you back for some of your other special occasions.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed here on Wednesday 13th of June as we just wanted to treat ourselves for a night. The grounds are beautiful on arrival and has a real old world feel to it. Every staff member without exception was genuinely friendly and helpful. Restaurant and all facilities superb. Can't wait for next trip!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dara H
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your review, and delighted to know that we delivered to make your stay special. Look forward to welcoming you back again sometime in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

I have recently returned from Castlemartyr after a one night stay with family. From the get-go, our initial encounters with reservations we're sketchy to say the least. No information was offered with regard to spa appointments or activities on the resort prior to arrival. We had joined my parents for a celebration at the hotel and would be hesitant about returning.

Upon arrival, there was a very strong smell of paint in the lobby area as they were decorating - in the middle of the afternoon with spatters of paint all over the floor. Check-in was brief, and although friendly, no other information was supplied with regard to dining or breakfast. We were then shown to our rooms by the porter who didn't attempt to make any small talk on the long walk to the room - just silence. Once we reached the room, we were shown the various controls etc after which I attempted to tip the porter but he refused which was very awkward. I can safely say that every member of staff I met was quite cold, no smiles, just head down and walk past.

Whilst in the room, I tried to make a spa appointment but was informed that it was "fully booked, and more or less the same for tomorrow" - quite a poor attitude to have when potential customers were willing to pay a few hundred for treatments. Hence we went to the pool which is very nice, with lovely views onto the garden which we walked earlier only to see dirty tea-cups and a champagne glass visibly placed by the steps which didn't add to the experience at all.

Following our walk, we decided to eat but this wasn't helped by the fact that the main bar was closed, so food was served in the living room - on coffee tables, not ideal to say the least. Added to this was the lack of any background music, and people looked slightly uncomfortable as every single word could be heard. The only other option was fine dining which was something we didn't intend on trying. It had been recommended to eat in the Clubhouse so off we went, but you guessed it, closed as well. It is important to at least inform us prior to arrival so we can make alternative arrangements.

The following morning we went down for breakfast which is located in the stunning belltower with lovely views over the garden. The buffet was a bit sparse, but the a la carte options were very good. Once again, staff were distant and there was no small talk. Overall, Castlemartyr as a hotel is fantastic. The quality of the finish is A1, and the small touches like the decent sized writing desk with separate phone is a nice bonus. However, service levels (including housekeeping - bread crust at the side of the desk) at this five star hotel were very poor and need to be improved for such a hotel to survive in the current economic climate.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank failte89
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read your comments and please accept my apologies that your stay was marked by some inconsistencies in our service levels. We did have a few days of re-decoration and I am sorry that this inconvenienced you during your stay with us. I would be delighted if you were to choose to return to Castlemartyr, and should you do this please contact me direct and I will personally look after your booking.

I hope to welcome you to Castlemartyr again.