New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
County Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent when on a deal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

My partner & I have recently stayed at the Oak Wood Arms for 2 nights. We had a Boards Deals voucher which, ar €99, entitled us to 2 nights b & b & one 3 course dinner. I liked the hotel though my partner found the wood decor a little gloomy. It is old fashioned to be sure but I found it quaint. The hotel is quite sprawled out. Our ground floor bedroom was a long walk down endless twisting corridors. Our room was very big but, disappointingly, the bed was a small double. Difficult for a couple used to a super kingsize bed! Breakfast was good both mornings. Our dinner was from a very limited menu especially for guests on the voucher deal but was ok considering. Shannon really doesn't have much to offer but is a good base for exploring Co Clare. I'd go back if I got a similar voucher deal.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
FrancesClare_Ireland, Director of Sales at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear ClaremcBelgium
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your stay at The Oakwood Arms Hotel. Our philosophy is great service and quality at affordable prices. We delighted when our guest takes time out to express their appreciation and I will be sure to share your comments with our team.
We very much appreciate the recommendation and hope to see you in the Oakwood Arms Hotel in the near future.

Email sales@oakwoodarms.co

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I got stranded for a few days before a flight back to the states and booked a couple nights here. I really enjoyed it. I had a large room, towards the end of the hallway, it was quiet, had television and complimentary internet, good sized bathroom with special toiletries. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of places to eat in the area, so I ended up eating at the bar every night. It was pricey, but tasty - and I feel like people come to that bar specifically because of the ambience. The hotel has been decorated in a "aviation" vintage/retro motif and it's really interesting to walk around and see all the old magazine ads, pieces of planes, ect. I liked my stay. It was clean, comfortable, and the staff was pleasant. I reccomend it - it's NOT the Ritz, but for the price and how cool it is, who cares! :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the family rooms for a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

This hotel is very close to Shannon Airport, and it is conveniently located near to a mall and a gas station. The interior of the hotel is very clean and the rooms were comfortable and recently updated. Tasteful decorations are found throughout the interior. I stayed here during the week, and it was very quiet. All in all, I had a good experience at this hotel and would stay here again. There is a pub attached to the hotel, but I did not eat or drink there, therefore, I can't comment on this aspect of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank greyhoundymom
FrancesClare_Ireland, Director of Sales at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Greyhoundymom

Thank you for your review on the hotel and restaurant , I am glad that you enjoyed the décor as some times we get mixed reviews about it as it is so very different, to traditional hotels, we hope to see you back again soon in Clare.

Mobile. 086 3747 576

www.oakwoodarms.com
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel had a good location if you were flying into Shannon airport. There is no town as such in Shannon( a shopping mall - very small) but you don't have to travel far to see lovely scenery and surrounding towns. The hotel although large still has a cosy atmosphere, especially with decor and coal fire in the winter months. I stayed two nights with accompanying breakfasts. I found staff at the breakfast buffet more than helpful. I did find the reception staff quit curt but efficient all the same.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask on arrival. Seems like no view other than car park unless your on upper floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
FrancesClare_Ireland, Director of Sales at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Caroline Q

Thank you for kindly taking the time to leave such a wonderful review on Trip advisor.

I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location so convenient. it is always nice to get great feedback ,.

We would be delighted to welcome you back on your next trip.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Great rooms, charming staff, lovely food and great price

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul_DON_007
Dear Paul_DON_007,
I would like to thank you for writing a review on the hotel, our philosophy is great service and quality at affordable prices. We delighted when our guest take time out to express their appreciation and I will be sure to share your comments with our team.

We really hope to welcome you back again soon

Email sales@oakwoodarms.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
3.9 km away
8.9 km away
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!