USD 135
TripAdvisor
An Sugan(Clonakilty)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsteach beagall day breakfastfamily run hoteltrad sessionpearse streettuesday nightbay windowsmall balconygreat central locationhotel parkinghome from homeirish familystayed nightsan updategreat craicgreat nighthomely feel
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Stayed here last night with 13 others for a 70th birthday. Rooms were quirky but spotlessly clean, comfortable + great value for money. The staff were so friendly + great craic. 14 of us had dinner here, food was amazing, lots of choice + plenty of it..

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
WestCorkGeraldine, Owner at O'Donovan's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Thanks for your wonderful review. It was easy to be nice to you as you were all so full of life and friendly. You all seemed to be having the best time together as a great group of friends. I'm glad that you enjoyed yourselves, that is what life is all about. You were model guests and you are all welcome back anytime. Dena O'Donovan Proprietor.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

From the moment that we checked in, we knew we had made the right choice. The welcome was warm, friendly and injected with a bit of good humour.

Situation of hotel is central, parking is free, and our room was quiet, clean, comfortable and spacious.

Breakfast was amazing, with an excellent choice, served quickly, by friendly cheery staff.

The bar staff also deserve a mention as these guys work very hard, successfully keeping all the punters happy.

Every time we passed reception, we were always acknowledged, by whoever was on duty.

I am surprised that this hotel only shows 2 stars to be honest, I would certainly put it in the 3 star category, but perhaps the grading system works differently in the Republic of Ireland, from that in Scotland.

A big thank you to all the hard working people in O'Donovans, who made our 5 night stay a truly grand experience.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank James M
WestCorkGeraldine, Owner at O'Donovan's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thanks a million for your wonderful review. We are only a 2 star because I refuse to bow to certain requirements from Failte Ireland like " get rid of the real fire in the bar as it causes a lot of coal dust and an electric one would be cleaner ". And the " don't allow people to have meals in reception " and " stop your customers from parking their prams in the lobby " crazy stuff. We do what we feel our customers like to do. We don't do posh !!! Sorry.... We do comfortable !!!! We were delighted that you choose our little corner of the world to stay in. We enjoyed your company !!! See you again some time.Dena O'Donovan Proprietor

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Was going West a few weeks back and stopped in Clonakilty for lunch. Came across o donovan hotel restaurant, v historical. It was busy for lunch,always a good sign. Offers good wholesome food at great value, we all had half chicken and ham. Best thing was if you wanted a smaller portion, cheaper at 9 euros, it would be same amount of meat but less veg, really GD idea
It was lovely and filing, GD taste,GD value,old style room,carvery. Well worth a visit.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
WestCorkGeraldine, Owner at O'Donovan's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Thank you for your heartfelt review. We are a small family run sixth generation town center historic hotel. We have a wonderful team around us that cook fresh each day in our busy kitchen. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your meal it's reviews like this that make it all worthwhile. .thanks.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

Having recently booked a weekend stay in Clonakilty with my father at a different hotel and on check in to be told I had no booking although I had a confirmation, left me with a stressful situation. I called a few hotels and were told everywhere was fully booked including oDonovans hotel. I thought out of desperation I’d go in to the hotel and literally plead for a room- anything! I spoke to Craig on reception who told me they were fully booked. I explained the mixup at the other hotel and that I was with my elderly father and we needed somewhere to stay. Well- Craig did some jigging about and room swapping here and there and sorted us a room. He gave us all he had- an absolutely fantastic family room that slept 5 people for less than the price of 2 single rooms. The relief was immense I must say and I offered Craig a few euro for a drink for helping us out- he point blank refused saying it was his job to help us! Needless to say we had a fantastic stay, Bar, food and breakfast fantastic too. As a regular visitor to Clonakilty I’ll definitely be returning to oDonovans. Thank you

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
WestCorkGeraldine, Front Office Manager at O'Donovan's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

This Craig who you spoke to at the time of your visit. Thank you very much for the kind review and the kind words. Im delighted that you and your father had a great time while visiting us.

I look forward to welcoming you both again very soon, Please dont hesitate to ring me when you decide to come again

Craig

Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

Stopped in for breakfast on a spin through Clonakilty. Fine big choice on offer. Staff lovely to deal with but quality of food poor. Had a couple slices of bacon and beans followed by tea and lemon meringue. Hot food was luke warm. Cold plate. Lemon meringue was plastic so much gelatine in it. All for the pricey sum of 13 euro! No fault to the staff as they were lovely but really manager on duty or GM needs to review. Will return for a second punt as I believe we all have off days TBC. Open to be corrected.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo