All reviews old style coach tour family run hotel comfortable surroundings lovely atmosphere old world charm personal touch friendly welcome yogurt mary fashioned dorians ireland pub furnishings fireplace cork
Reviewed 30 March 2016

We recently got married in Dorrian's and it was perfect from start to finish.

Mary Dorrian was always at the end of the phone or computer to answer any questions we had in a prompt and professional manner. We met a number of times to discuss the plans and she was always very accommodating.

We had a full weekend for the wedding and the bar was kept open for residents until they were ready to go to bed which was around 5am on one night. Mary and Benny Dorrian always seemed to be awake when the rest of us were flagging and they kept a close eye on everything to make sure all of our needs were taken care of!

Any of the rooms we saw were clean, bright and traditionally decorated and the beds were extremely comfy even if we were only using them for 5hours a night!

We held our ceremony in a beautiful room in the hotel and had a drinks reception in the thatch which is the quaint pub owned by the hotel- they charged no extra for using either of these which a lot of other venues would have.

The meal itself was lovely and there were a lot of different choices at reasonable prices. The waiters and waitresses did an amazing job of making sure each table was served quickly and offered second servings which kept us all happy- the beef and chicken were both hot and delicious- the best wedding food we've had! and many other guests agreed!

There were no restrictions on the band or how late they played and so we partied well into the wee small hours of the morning.

to top the whole weekend off, we had bubbly on arrival, lots of lovely extras in our rooms and a present on leaving.

We cannot thank Mary and Benny enough for giving us the perfect wedding weekend and making sure all of our guests had a great time too!

The best thing about it is that Mary and Benny have become a part of the family and we will make sure we will be calling in with our wedding pics.

Their warmth and friendship are the star of the show.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2016

Our daughter had her wedding reception there recently and we were so impressed with the quality of the food, the attention to detail and above all the friendliness of all the staff. We had a fantastic experience from start to finish. We can,t praise them enough.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

The hospitality at this hotel is second to none and you will be blown away with it. The staff literally couldn't do enough for you including giving a lift to the infirm to the stunning wee Thatch Pub at the top of the road. They even came on the bus and sang a song to send everyone on their journey home. The food was amazing every night with good choice and for breakfast after helping yourself to cereal it was table service for the cooked part of it. They had entertainment on every night. The hotel is definately older style and the rooms/bathrooms a bit dated however the rooms are spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable. I've travelled all over the world and stayed in many a 4 or 5 star hotel but have never received service like this in all my life. Ballyshannon must be the luckiest town in Ireland to have this hotel and their staff here - if you could bottle it and sell it you would be a millionaire !!! Also big shout out to Urquhart Travel this was a terrific trip with a fantastic driver Mick, well organised, timely, great Craic and a lovely bus load of passengers was sad to come home.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank mouseonpath
Reviewed 12 March 2016

This is a large charming, family owned hotel in the centre of the lovely town of Ballyshannon. One is welcomed by a warm fire in the main lobby area and that warmth is echoed by the staff and the owners. I stayed here recently and would gladly come back again in the not-too-distant future.
The room I had was large, very quiet and very comfortable and I had a great night’s sleep. However, one problem I had was trying to find my room in the very poorly lit corridors.
The food is generally good but I was surprised by the paucity of fish on the menu, especially for breakfast. After all, Ballyshannon in situated right on the Atlantic coast and the large fishing port of Killibegs is just a short hop across the bay!
Also, my old bugbear, the lack of fresh orange juice is becoming an unfunny joke. In another, different establishment recently when I asked for fresh orange juice, the waitress quite seriously asked me what I meant. Really! Have things come to this?
And there was a slight touch of Fawlty Towers at times. My secretary had made the booking for me and I found when I had arrived that I had been booked in for the night before and I had also been quoted the wrong rate. However it was all very quickly sorted out.
Yes, I’ll be back and will bring some reinforcements when I return!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2016

This is a very comfortable hotel with 20th century charm, and on entering one is welcomed by a hearty coal fire; surrounded by numerous stuffed (replica) dogs.
The foyer and dining room areas are tastily decorated with local and Irish photos and some nice antique pieces.
All of the bedrooms (on our ground floor corridor) along the front are designated "Non Smoking", and this helped to validate the "clean" feel to the bedroom. Tea and coffee making facilities are in room
The windows are fitted with good quality lined curtains which make for a fully darkened room for those who dislike too much or any light at night.
Beds have firm mattresses with crisp sheets with genuine Foxford wool blankets for a comfortable sleep.
Breakfast is served in a bright south facing restaurant with juice and porridge, and a choice of continental or full Irish.
​Dan and Mary, and their staff are welcoming and pleasant, and overall this is a good value hotel for accommodation, and with private parking is a good base to use for discovering and touring the local hinterland.​

Date of stay: February 2016