“St patrick's day weekend break”
Review of Twin Trees Hotel

Twin Trees Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
GreenLeadersGold level
Derry, United Kingdom
“St patrick's day weekend break”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Just back having enjoyed all the facilities the Downhill house hotel had to offer.
Accomodation was superb and food excellent.Staff were all courteous and friendly, Location perfect ,recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: Take a room in the new block
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We really enjoyed our stay. Staff were an absolute pleasure and extremely helpful. Huge praise for Karen moylette, from the moment we checked in she made us feel so welcome and was more like a very good friend to all her customers, so much so that we are still in contact. :)

• Stayed March 2012
Sligo
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This Hotel is freezing. We stayed last week-end to attend a wedding and there was no heat in the hotel. This is a disgrace. We asked for heat to be turned on numerous times - We even asked the owner when we called down reception but no joy. It was so cold I had to go to the gym and my husnand had to drive to Enniscrone to get warm. The function room was freezing on the wedding day.
The phillipino staff were nice and friendly in an non managed Hotel. As it was our wedding anniversary - I certainly will remember it.
Food was not great. Breakfasts too basic-
It certainly a well Recession hit Hotel.

Room Tip: Bring a heater
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Carmel B
Spiddal, Ireland
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We went to a wedding in this hotel and stayed overnight. This was formerly a renowned hotel and is has a good history although it was mentioned to me that it didn't have previous standards recently.

First of all I must mention that the staff were kind, friendly and helpful, but unfortunately that is where the complements end.

The food at both the wedding and breakfast was appalling. Even the coffee was weak and tasteless. We had a cappucino the following day as well and both of us did not go beyond the first sip. We were not alone in our comments on the food at the wedding, it was like stuff you would get from a packet.

The decor is outdated and becoming run down and unfortunately it is a hotel that is struggling with the tough economic situation. It has potential, but looks as if it requires major investment to bring it to bring it anyway close to former glories.

Room Tip: Food is terrible, have a lie in instead.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Donncha O
Duck99, Director of Sales at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear DOCong,

I would like to thank you for writing a review on the hotel, our philosophy is great service provided by our loyal staff and quality at affordable prices. I am delighted that you availed of one of our special offers of Bed & Breakfast for €66.68 per night for two persons on a Saturday night and as I would like to point out our breakfast offering is displayed in accordance with the rate we are receiving at this turbulent time in the hospitality industry in Ireland.

What I am really astounded with is your comments about the Wedding meal - as the feedback from all the guests I spoke with on the evening and the following morning were nothing but positive and appreciative. Our food policy for in excess of 75 years is locally sourced and home produced. What really saddened me is as a family member we take pride in our hotel and service and it is pity that one of us did not get to speak with you before you left hotel, as both my sister Karen and brother Michael would have been happy to speak to you.

I would like to invite you back the Downhill House hotel in the not too distant future, if you contact me personally I would be delighted to look after you. my email is rachael@downhillhotel.ie

Kind regards
Rachael Moylett
Marketing Director/Family Member
Stamullen, Meath
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My Dad gave myself and my husband a 2 night stay in the Downhill House for Christmas so we booked and headed down on the 1st March with our 3 year old daughter. On check-in we noticed the bar/lounge was closed (lights off, no staff present) which, at 4pm, to me was strange and when I asked the receptionist if it was closed she said no and that she would “get someone if I wanted"! Dinner on one evening was included in our stay so we decided to avail of it on the first night, on booking we were told the main restaurant was closed and that a smaller room was set up for dinner or we could have bar food which we were assured was very nice and with a small child with us we thought it might be the better option - we were wrong! When we arrived to the bar for dinner (which thankfully was now open) we were the only people there at first (except the nice gentleman behind the bar) and it was freezing (my husband actually ate his meal with his coat on)! We looked at the very limited menu and decided what to order, I ordered a curry and my husband ordered a sirloin steak - which he was told he couldn't have, we weren't clear if that was because it wasn't included in the meal or just not available. My daughter’s pasta Bolognese arrived which was most definitely a reheat as was my curry (dry claggy pasta and dry rice with watery curry sauce). It all tasted ok but, as I told the manager the next day, it was only mediocre and I could make much nicer myself at home – and I’m no chef! So having finished our meal we couldn’t sit in the cold any longer so finished our drinks and went up to our room, having decided that we would be checking out the next day. The room itself was ok (a bit musty and dull) and considering the bar was so cold we couldn’t believe that the room was the complete opposite – unbearably warm, even though I had turned the radiator off. None of us slept very well that night because of the heat. Also (which unfortunately I didn’t notice until the next morning) there were stains on the bedspreads particularly on the bed that our daughter slept in there was a stain resembling either dried blood or chocolate. The next morning we went for breakfast in a room that was haphazardly set up as a breakfast room with limited options for breakfast but thankfully there was the offer of a cooked breakfast which was, again, just ok. When the time came to check out we spoke to the manager who said very little as we spoke except to inform me that the heating was off so she didn’t know how our room could have been so warm – to which I offered that perhaps our room was over a boiler or something. My Dad himself also rang to speak to the Manager as it was his hard earned money that paid for this excuse for a hotel – she told him that she would reimburse him for our stay but would have to charge for the meal – which is a joke in itself as that was certainly no enjoyable meal but we’re glad at least that they are going to partly reimburse him. The only positive thing I can say about our experience is that the 3 or 4 staff members we encountered during our stay were all very pleasant but I don’t necessarily consider that a positive reflection on the hotel itself they are just fortunate to have nice people working for them.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Carolyn D
Duck99, Director of Sales at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I place great importance on guest feedback so your comments are greatly appreciated. My sincere apologies for the lack of enjoyment and experienced you had with your recent stay with us, this is clearly not to our standard. As you are aware the hotel industry is going through a very difficult time, with an over capacity of hotels and an under capacity of Tourists it proves a very hard task to get adequate room occupancy and rates from guests. Thursday night would be a general quite night overall in Ballina and I am sorry that your break was cut short as I am sure you would have enjoyed the complimentary music in the Bar on Friday night and a full hotel.

With regards the heat this is been addressed and thank you for pointing this out to us with your bedroom been too warm.

Thank you again for bringing these points to my attention, the only way that the hotel and team can improve is by feedback, which I appreciate. Thank you also for your comments about our excellent staff of which I will pass on those in question.

Kind regards