New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Ballina Manor Hotel

Ballina Manor Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
belfast
“Excellent Hotel, Great Staff, Brilliant Location!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Just back from a 3 night trip to Ballina Manor Hotel as part of an internet deal. We were looking for an affordable break away to get the head showered.
We arrived on Wednesday evening and were greeted by a lovely receptionist whom made us feel very welcome and helped us out with any questions we had.
Our room was lovely, clean and the massive beds were amazingly comfortable.
We went to the bar and the barman 'John' was very friendly and gave us a lot of information about the area -trips etc.
Breakfast was great, a choice of cereals, tea, coffee, juices etc plus a chef made irish fry or scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. yum! set us up for the long day ahead of sightseeing (Knock, Cong) and shopping (Westport and Castlebar).
The evening meal included was superb, with a table overlooking the river.
Ballina is a large town with plenty of shops, bars and restaurants. The local people are lovely and friendly.
We would recommend this hotel and definitely return when we get the chance!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lushy29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just back from a weekend break at this hotel, took my husband here as a birthday treat. Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly and helpful reception staff who quickly sorted out our room and parking arrangements (underground parking with limited spaces). Room was clean and nice enough, a little small with a view of a brick wall (was expecting river view), but it was fine. Reception area is lovely with fire and free newspapers. Went to bar area looking refreshments after long drive but it was deserted, no one seems to work here during the day, so had to leave hotel to get something to eat and drink. This was fine as the hotel is in the center of town and there is plenty of bars/restaurants in the town. We had a lovely meal in the broken jug bar just around the corner.

We were disappointed that the gym was closed for refurbishment as this was one of the reasons I booked this hotel, but we were told the pool was open so we decided to go for a swim. Changed our minds pretty quickly when we found it though! very small and very dirty!!

The next morning at breakfast we were given the choice of a large fried breakfast or a small one! My husband was happy enough with this and opted for the large which he enjoyed. However I cant eat this so asked for an omelette, the waitress said she would ask the chef to make this but he refused, but he said he would make scrambled egg instead. These were fine but he put them on a soggy piece of toast which I also can't eat. The next morning I asked for the scrambled egg without the toast and they arrived again on top of the soggy bread!! Think they did this to make it look more than it was.

We had an evening meal in the hotel restaurant as part of the package and after breakfast was dreading it, but it was lovely. The food was well presented and tasted great. We had a table overlooking the river and it was a lovely evening.

I was disappointed with the hotel, particularly as it was a special occasion, but it is not a bad hotel it just needs to improve in certain areas such as breakfast and the spa area (which it is renovating). Not suitable for anyone with food allergies or vegetarians.

Ballina is a lovely town, I have been here before and will definitely return, but just not sure if I would stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room with river view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mmorgan15
northern ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed here earlier this month on a internet deal, when I had a look at the website on the face of it all it looked fantastic and a very nice hotel for the price so naturally was excited about the prospect! upon arrival we were duly greeted by the receptionist who checked us in and that was it no local info no handy tips just your room key and off you POP, the lounge area was very welcoming and a large open fire just screaming to be lit, we got into the room and proceed to the bar for a well deserved drink after a 3.5 hour drive, we waited about 20 minutes then left for a local hostelry so that we could get a drink.
The room was ok some issues around cleanliness with a soap sticker still the shower, stained towels and unreplensihed compliementry toiletries.
As my wife is pregnant one of the elements of the stay she was looking forward to was a dip in the pool, that did not happen! it looked like it had not been cleaned in months, I do appreciate that there was buliding work around this area but the pool and surounding area was and felt filthy.

The food was grand but the overall lack luster service was so apparent I spent in total not including the room 250 euro in 2 days and for just a little more effort the hotel would have got it all but the lack of service and in some respects atmosphere took me out of the hotel and into the local bars.

Its a shame because the hotel really has a lot to offer and would take so little to ensure that it was met!

Even with this it was not a bad hotel at all and for the price we got our monies worth, but it just felt like a hotel which was once great just wating to return to its former glory.......

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
County Londonderry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Took up the offer from Groupon, 2 nights bed and breakfast and evening meal for £109 for 2 people. Bedroom was overlooking the River Moy and breakfast and meal was superb. Lovely little town and people were friendly.
Recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to getaway on a wee break.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the river. Superb views.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aidygers
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Right on the River Moy was a great view. I travelled to Mayo for a funeral in nearby Killilla. I flew into Knock, hired a car for the easy drive to Ballina. Hotel staff were very helpful giving my direction to the church. I’d booked for 2 nights with booking.com but when I got to the hotel they only had me down for a 1 night stay.. they quickly rectified that with no hassle. I used the underground car park which has limited spaces, theres a car park just up the road so no real issue. The room was comfortable, free wifi had a good connection you just need to ask for the code. I asked the restaurant to deliver my meal to my room as I didn’t fancy eating in the restaurant alone, I ordered off the menu and they promptly delivered it, was delicious. The restaurant was very nice with view over the river. Breakfast was plentiful. Location in the town was fab, bottom of the Main Street. I didn’t get to see all that Mayo had to offer and hope to return again to Ballina and this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo