“Heavenly Haven”
Review of Pax Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingle
Pax Guest House
Ranked #1 of 76 Dingle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2009

My husband and I stayed in this heavenly haven on Sunday 3rd May 2009. John O' Farrell is a wonderful host and runs this twelve bedroomed comfortable and elegant guest house with stunning views overlooking Dingle harbour. The harbour view is available from most of the well appointed bedrooms, the breakfast room and sitting room. A welcome cup of tea or coffee is always available to guests who may wish to chat with others, read or sit and relax in the beautifully decorated sitting room.

Our spacious and comfortable bedroom had wonderful views with doors out to a nice garden area where seating is available. Large fluffy towels in a well appointed bathroom along with reading material in the sofa area of our bedroom were welcome.

Breakfast is a delicious combination of fresh juices, fruits and yogurt - homemade bread and scones compliment the hot and cold dishes prepared using the best of ingredients. This ranges from a full Irish breakfast, to omlettes, smoked salmon, kippers etc.
Dingle town is within walking distance where there are many excellent restaurants. A taxi service is available if preferred.

We would certainly recommend this as a tranquil oasis and a good base from which to visit the Dingle peninsula as well as South Kerry.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret6118
Write a ReviewReviews (1,548)

Reviewed 1 May 2009

My daughter and I really enjoyed our stay there, and the other reviews are correct in stating that the John is very inviting and attentive, only to be outdone by his charismatic dog, Rio. We stayed a whole week and would definitely stay again.

Be aware that it's cold in the springtime and you may need to bundle up . The rooms are warm at certain times and when the fire is on the common room stove it warms up, but people often leave the front door and sliding doors open so there are many cold drafts, and the breakfast room is chilly in the morning. The stores in Dingle are equally open to the elements, with doors wide open in weather we would shut out here in upstate New York. So if you're prone to cold, bring warm clothes, or be prepared to buy some!

While in Dingle, don't forget to visit the best little museum in the farthest western point in Europe -- the Celtic and Prehistoric Museum in the nearby town of Ventry.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank AliceIthaca
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I had the good fortune to spend a week at Pax last summer, and when planning my return visit to Ireland this Spring, I knew I couldn't miss an opportunity to stay with John and Rio (the dog) again.

And fortunately, every aspect of Pax was just as I remembered it. The cleanliness and comfort of the rooms (bedroom, lounge and breakfast room) was spot on, and breakfast was as delicious and plentiful as last year. Ooh! Those home-made scones just melt in the mouth!

And John - the very best of hosts! When I had a really bad headache, he brought me a selection of herbal teas and put a hot water bottle in my bed that night. And I observed many kindnesses towards other guests during my stay: one lady had a bad cold, and he rushed to the kitchen to make her a hot lemon and honey drink before she departed. Unfortunately, another guest had scratched their hire car, and I saw John outside trying to help minimise the damage. And there were many other instances, too.

And again, the atmosphere at Pax was lighthearted and fun: guests talking together over breakfast, with John popping in and out of the kitchen talking and sharing anecdotes with everyone. And thanks too, to his young assistant, who hails from Bulgaria (apologies, I didn't ask how to spell his name and dare not attempt a spelling here!), and was another friendly face at breakfast.

And yes, I expect to return to Dingle next year, when I will certainly be booking into Pax House once again. Thank you John, for another wonderful stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarnia G
Reviewed 21 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at Pax House for our honeymoon and we're blown away by the view. You really are not prepared by how beautiful it's going to be! John is a fantastic host and the house dog Rio is a great treat to have around. I will definitely make my way back to Dingle at some point and would not stay at any other B+B Pax House!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gibbiex2
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Everything you read is true - except for the fact that John goes beyond exceptional service. I have never seen such attention to detail. We stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed every minute. The kids immediately found a friend in Rio, and when John wasn't there to walk us to our room, it was Rio who showed the way. This was such a pleasurable stay for us. John had great suggestions for meals and activities. We had no problems driving into town and finding parking, but we chose to walk most days. The walk up the hill was nice, just a little dark if you stay out too late. You will really enjoy staying here...

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family