“Walk and lunch”

and up
Ring of Beara Day Tour from Killarney
Ranked #10 of 49 things to do in Kenmare
More attraction details
Owner description: Derreen is a woodland garden that has a selection of narrow paths leading to the sea. You can choose a short stroll of about 40 minutes or take all day discovering the 8 miles of paths. Many of the plants were brought back from the Himalayas by the Victorian plant hunters. There is a cafe selling lunch or a selection of delicious hand made cakes during the summer months.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Quiche made with vegetables grown in the Derreen Gardens greenhouse--outstanding! Walking the trails through forests of rhododendron, cedar, and more--wonderful!

claire w, Owner at Derreen Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

I'm so glad you appreciated it. Come again soon.

There are newer reviews for Derreen Gardens

Reviewed 27 July 2017

We visited Derreen Gardens in late July. Pretty much none of the trees or wildflowers were in bloom although it may have been spectacular four to six weeks ago. The artificially planted forest was both large and diverse with many very old trees and shrubs. It was a pleasant walk and in spite of the season not very crowded so one could enjoy the serenity and overall ambience. I would like to pay tribute to the garden staff who came to my rescue with some long and heavy duty jumper leads when I managed to flatten the battery in my car.

claire w, Owner at Derreen Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and that we helped you on your way home!

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Beautiful location , tranquil and enchanting and well worth taking the time to visit . The woodland setting is excellent and has plenty to see.

claire w, Owner at Derreen Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Thank you for coming and come again soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

I'm not sure I've ever been anywhere quite as beautiful as Derreen Gardens. I've got house and garden envy, but am so grateful to the family for allowing us to share this wonderful place. Although we need to go back in Spring to fully appreciate the plants, it's the most magical spot. The coastal views and mysterious jungle walks are wonderful and our dog enjoyed it too! I very much hope to return and see it when it is flowering.

I would have been interested to learn more about the family history, as the little I discovered was fascinating.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to meeting you when you return!

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

We took a drive down the Peninsula and had decided to stop here as we heard Derreen Gardens held the rental records for the Landsdowne Estate from which our ancestors had come. Unfortunately they moved the records the year before to University of Cork Archives however we had a nice bite of lunch with coffee then walked around the extensive Gardens. Had a lovely time exploring and looking at all the leprechaun houses. It's a great place for kids to have a chance to run around and explore. I have a teenage son and he really enjoyed it.

claire w, Manager at Derreen Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. Please come again soon.
Claire