“Time well spent ”

and up
Ring of Beara Day Tour from Killarney
Ranked #10 of 49 things to do in Kenmare
More attraction details
Owner description: Derreen is a woodland garden that has a selection of narrow paths leading to the sea. You can choose a short stroll of about 40 minutes or take all day discovering the 8 miles of paths. Many of the plants were brought back from the Himalayas by the Victorian plant hunters. There is a cafe selling lunch or a selection of delicious hand made cakes during the summer months.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Beautiful location , tranquil and enchanting and well worth taking the time to visit . The woodland setting is excellent and has plenty to see.

claire w, Owner at Derreen Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Thank you for coming and come again soon.

There are newer reviews for Derreen Gardens

Reviewed 24 July 2017

I'm not sure I've ever been anywhere quite as beautiful as Derreen Gardens. I've got house and garden envy, but am so grateful to the family for allowing us to share this wonderful place. Although we need to go back in Spring to fully appreciate the plants, it's the most magical spot. The coastal views and mysterious jungle walks are wonderful and our dog enjoyed it too! I very much hope to return and see it when it is flowering.

I would have been interested to learn more about the family history, as the little I discovered was fascinating.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to meeting you when you return!

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

We took a drive down the Peninsula and had decided to stop here as we heard Derreen Gardens held the rental records for the Landsdowne Estate from which our ancestors had come. Unfortunately they moved the records the year before to University of Cork Archives however we had a nice bite of lunch with coffee then walked around the extensive Gardens. Had a lovely time exploring and looking at all the leprechaun houses. It's a great place for kids to have a chance to run around and explore. I have a teenage son and he really enjoyed it.

claire w, Manager at Derreen Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. Please come again soon.
Claire

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Lovely woodland walks but the word garden is misleading. It might have had some relevance a few weeks earlier when the Rhodedenrums were in flower but there is little of colour and little that stands out. €7 admittance is not a huge amount but save your money and go to wonderful Muckross for half a € more or Garnish Island for less. You can find many lovely walks that will cost you nothing.

claire w, Owner at Derreen Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Dear Trevor,
I am so sorry you didn't enjoy your time at Derreen. I am afraid this time of year is difficult for colour in the garden and we do have a huge variety of rare plants that are hard to find anywhere else but a lot of them aren't hugely colourful.
I agree with you there are lots of lovely free walks in the area but sadly we have a huge amount of maintenance that we have to pay for so cannot offer a free entry into our garden. If you come again do get in touch and I can make sure someone shows you round.
Best wishes
Claire

Reviewed 22 June 2017

You can find here some plants from all over the world, but especially multiples kinds of Rhododendrons. Better plan your visit in may/june when they are in bloom.

claire w, Owner at Derreen Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

I'm so glad you appreciated the variety of plants we have in the garden. Yes if you do want to see the Rhododendrons in flower the Spring is the best time. I hope you come again.