Just got back from a 3 night stay here and would highly recommend. The bed was very comfortable and we both slept very well. Easy to access the cottage and our check in time and were pleasantly surprised to find a welcome bottle of red on arrival (very much enjoyed thank you!) Great location within easy reach of Matlock with plenty of amenities nearby. Only things to be aware of I would say is that the path to walk into Matlock is great going down but is quite a steep hill when returning to the cottage - gets those lungs working! There is a little road noise but to be honest we didn't really find this a bother, but again just to note if you have the windows open or are sitting outside. I wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend this cottage. Great value and we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
Excellent little cottage, very well looked after.
We had one minor issue with the owner came and resolved very quickly. Will definitely be coming back.
We had a lovely 2 night stay
- the parking is a bit tight so we parked on unrestricted residential road 100m away so no problem at all
- it is at the top of a steep hill so for anyone with mobility issues it would be a hard walk back from the town centre
- The cottage is lovely and cosy
- it is absolutely spotlessly clean and comfy - felt immediately like home!
- It is very warm - I had to keep going round and turning the radiators off:-)
- The bath is big and is lovely and hot
- The kitchen has absolutely everything - even basic foodstuff which means you can happily eat in
- The communication from Martin was excellent
- And finally, Martin had thought of everything about the house (and local area) before hand so it really felt you are staying in a 5 staff hotel with a great concierge!
we would definitely recommend
This is a wonderful cottage. The owner, Martin sent prior to our stay, informative emails regarding the cottage and local area which we found very helpful. The cottage, itself is warm, cosy and vey comfortable and a nice bottle of wine was waiting for us arrival. The log burner was also a big hit with us. We had read the reviews regarding the parking but really didn't find this to be a big problem for us. We will definitely be returning again soon
· 4 hours ago
Just returned from a lovely nights stay at Gate cottage. We arrived to find the cottage spotlessly clean and with everything we would need, even a complimentary bottle of wine. (Thank you so much for the thought but neither of us drink red wine so we left it for the next guests). We did drive past the cottage at first but we just went round the block again and found it easily. The driveway is very very narrow and I would suggest backing the car up the driveway and into the space. It's very tight, even for our car, which isn't very big. Make sure your hand break is in good working order as it's also quite steep! The stairs inside and out are very steep and narrow but, if you're careful, shouldn't cause too many problems - it's just worth noting but also expected for a country cottage. We slept in the upstairs bedroom, which is right next to the bathroom. The bed is huge and so comfy. The pillows were great. The bathroom is also big and has everything you would need. A free standing shower as well as a bath, so you have plenty of choice. The living room is lovely and cosy. We found the board game Monopoly and had great fun playing. It is a lovely idea to have it there! Everything is just so clean and welcoming at gate cottage. The welcome book is full of ideas of things to do and placed to eat. I really cannot fault the place. If we ever stay in Matlock again, this will be the place we choose. Thank you to Martin and the two Carol's for a great stay.