“Brilliant for gluten free”
Review of Because I Like It

Because I Like It
Ranked #1 of 8 Dessert in Bakewell
Price range: USD 3 - USD 28
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Because I Like It is a tearooms, with gluten-free,dairy-free and vegan options, as well as a gift shop and gallery in the centre of the beautiful Peak District town of Bakewell, Derbyshire.
Reviewed 29 October 2018

A lovely cafe with a wide range of gluten free cakes and meals. Nice atmosphere and very friendly staff.

Date of visit: October 2018
Nigel H, Owner at Because I Like It, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Thank you for your kind review of Because I Like It.

We're glad you enjoyed our gluten free cakes and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Bakewell.

Nigel and Val

Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

I will probably not return here.

The most disturbing thing I saw I’ll get out of the way first - it was seeing the vegetarian knife being used to cut a prawn sandwich then placed back ready for next use. Not placed for washing, ready for next use. Not only is it unfair to the next vegetarian customer it could be deadly to the vegetarian sandwich ordering customer who is allergic to prawns.

Next the staff had hairnets on - but were allowed to have bits of their hair outside of the net in a purely cosmetic manner. Naturally the hair was touched by their hands at various times during our visit. (To avoid any confusion I will point out that we did not find any hair in our food).

It was busy but our order did take a long time. The paella was extremely disappointing as it was very bland. The chilli was also terribly bland. The portions were average to small for these meals and I’d definitely describe as a light lunch.

Finally the toasted sandwiches were lovely, nice bread, good choice of bread type, a good amount of filling and tasted very nice. If I did return I would order a toasted sandwich as it seems the best value for money - but not with anyone who has a prawn allergy ;)

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Minimadhippychik
Nigel H, Owner at Because I Like It, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2018

Thank you for your review, which is the same as you posted on Facebook. Since you posted on Facebook we have spoken with our staff to reiterate and retrain them on the cross contamination and food safety processes we have in place with regard to the use of knives in food preparation. As I replied to you on Facebook, we do not have prawn sandwiches on our menu, so it must have been for one of our afternoon tea bookings, who would have had prawn sandwiches on the same plate as meat and cheese sandwiches. As we ALWAYS check with our bookings for any allergies before we prepare the afternoon teas, there was no danger of of the customer being a vegetarian with a prawn allergy. Also the knife may not have been wiped down straight after the prawn sandwich was made, but it would certainly have been cleaned with an anti-bacterial wipe before being used again. Also as I asked you on Facebook, I would be grateful if you could let me know the colour of the knife that you state is the vegetarian knife, as there are no labels on the knives, but we have our own colour coded system to ensure that separate knives are used for vegans, vegetarians and omnivores.
With regard to hairnets, our staff actually wear hats and we are the ONLY cafe in Bakewell that insists that staff wear hats, which shows we take food hygiene more seriously than any other cafe in Bakewell. I must admit I don't fully understand your comment about hair touching their hands. Staff have been trained to ensure they wash their hands if they touch their hair or to wash their gloves if they touch their hair before handling food. From your comment it sounds as if hair was touching their hands whilst they were preparing food which would seem rather odd and would definitely NOT be the case as they wear bright blue gloves when handling food , not their bare hands, which seems to have escaped your keen notice.
As I requested on Facebook, if you can provide me with a description of the staff member you refer to with regard to the use of knives, I will discuss the matter fully with her to assess any further training needs and to ensure that any deviance from company procedures does not occur in the future.
I am sorry you were disappointed by our paella and chilli, but thank you for your positive comments about our toasties. Kind regards Nigel & Val

Reviewed 21 October 2018

Booked a high tea on a busy Saturday afternoon. Lovely selection of sandwiches with good quality fillings including prawn cocktail, brie and cranberries and ham and tomato and others. Cakes were wonderfully fresh and moist and far too tempting. We were supposed to end with scones and cream however we were too full so took them home in a doggy bag - lovely. What was really nice was that we could have as much tea and coffee as we wanted, so we all selected a tea we had not tried before, I was very impressed with my choice of white tea so had seconds. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Could not rate more highly.

Date of visit: October 2018
Nigel H, Owner at Because I Like It, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely comments.

We're so pleased you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Bakewell.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Those who are not Gluten Free may be less impressed, but as far as GF places go it is pretty good. Nice atmosphere and staff

1  Thank rovingdoctor
Nigel H, Owner at Because I Like It, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Thank you for your kind review of our gluten free Bakewell Tart.

We are very proud of our Bakewell Tart as it has won 2 gold stars in the Great Taste Awards, which is more stars than other non gluten free Bakewell Tarts available in Bakewell. We also receive amazing feedback on it from our non gluten free customers, many of whom say it is better than a regular Bakewell.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

My wife and I stopped here for a coffee. We sat outside in the sunshine (October 10th). We were so impressed that after our walk around Bakewell we returned for lunch, again outside. We had toasted sandwiches with salad garnish. They were excellent and reasonably priced. The service was spot on. We will return on our next visit to Bakewell.

Date of visit: October 2018
Nigel H, Owner at Because I Like It, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2018

Thank you for your kind review.

We're really pleased that you enjoyed your visits to Because I Like It. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Bakewell.