“Cheerful service, enjoyable wine list but food nothing special”
Review of Le Mistral - CLOSED

Le Mistral
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We decided to visit Le Mistral on a cold Friday night as we are a big fans of French cuisine. What was quite striking was that the menu wasn't pre-dominantly filled with French dishes. Many of these dishes seemed to be constructed around rice as the chief carbohydrate and there was distinct Italian fusion on others.

The wine list was fairly varied with a respectable choice of reds and whites from the major wine growing regions around the world. We enjoyed a very palatable Valpolicella which was reasonably priced.

The restaurant itself achieved the relaxed and friendly atmosphere it claims to possess. We found the waiting staff to be very cheerful, friendly and warm at all times. The decor is best described as trendy and bit a quirky and we enjoyed the laid back French music which filled the long dining room.

For starter King Prawns in tempura batter with chilli sauce which was ok. The sauce was good along with the linguine and vegetable accompaniment, but the batter was slightly soggy and not crisp enough. My girlfriend enjoyed her French Onion Soup which was tasty. For main I would describe my Beef Stroganof as average. The meat was flavoursome but the rest of the dish lacked any real flavour. My girlfriend ordered the risotto but also found it lacking in flavour and slightly stodgy. We both had the creme brulée for dessert which was pleasant but was close to being overcooked.

The only potential issue I had was that my main of Beef Stroganof was served with a pitiful portion of meat. However the waitress noticed and rectified this immediately, returning the dish back to me with a fairer portion. Shame on the chef though for thinking 3 tiny slivers of beef would be acceptable at the price they were asking!

On the whole we found the waiting staff were great and enjoyed the choice of wine available. It seems that standards and practices may slip at certain times in the kitchen which could let them down. If I was in Bakewell again I would pop in for a glass of wine and a bite to eat, but not sure I would encourage anyone to travel out of their way for the acceptable but unmemorable food.

Reviewed 10 January 2011

We were tempted into Le Mistral by the sign outside proclaiming it to be 'Best International restaurant 2010' and stopped to enjoy a lovely lunch during our first visit to Bakewell.
The waitress was very welcoming and cheerful and we soon had our drinks served. My husband ordered tomato and basil soup plus a butternut squash tart tatin and I ordered a goat's cheese salad. We weren't in a mad rush but it soon become clear that the soup was taking a while which was a surprise as surely soup should be more or less ready to serve. Our lovely waitress was very apologetic and went to the kitchen. When she returned she said that they had run out of soup and the chef wasn't happy with the new batch that had been made so had made more and it was just about to be served. We then waited some more - 40 minutes in all. Finally the soup arrived...hurrah! Except that it was the consistency of water with absolutely no flavour - no chef should have ever let that out of the kitchen and I question any chef that could actually make such awful soup. We decided to leave at that point along with several other diners that had similar experiences. What a shame - the serving staff were delightful and, on this occasion, let down by the kitchen - maybe 'Le Mistral' had blown the chef away to France!

Reviewed 8 January 2011

We really enjoyed our evening at Le Mistral. The atmosphere was very friendly and the service was excellent. A good place to eat if staying in Bakewell.

Reviewed 15 December 2010

Looking for Dinner after 8.30 in Bakewell can be hard we found this place and from the outside it looks like a small wine bar but step in side and it's a large buzzing restaurant good food & wine Very friendly & helpfull staff in all a great night Thanks