Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
wchalkey
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Good location, poor cottage”
Reviewed 18 January 2017 for a stay in August 2016

This cottage was dirty and needed some TLC. We left early because we couldn't put up with the poor condition of this cottage. We were refunded £100 because of the dirty state of the cottage but we should have had a full refund.

joanne a
“Disappointing!!”
Reviewed 4 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

If all you want is a place to rest your head then Knoll Cottage is fine.!!!
The whole of the downstairs is very disappointing. The pictures are very misleading, think they must have been taken years ago!! Jaded and tired are the words i would describe.
I think the owner should spend some money !!

Bathroom cleanliness
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Rosey4me
Leicester, United Kingdom
“In need of regrading not worth 4 ticks !!!!!!!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Main issue parking, none outside residence or near , but up side road opposite( having to ascend or descend approx. 20 steep steps) then only if available otherwise 2 hr. limit 8.00-8.00, other end of road more permit places but again all taken in other words permit useless. Problem unloading and loading as road on bend, on hill, potentially dangerous position but no choice if elderly or infirm.
The exterior paintwork is flaking and need of redecoration, on entry you are greeted by a damp smell inside, windows dirty between windows and secondary glazing and with dead flies and insects present, loose mats on living room and bedrooms without non slip grips ( Slip and trip hazards.), Bathroom wallpaper lifting off wall, wooden cladding lifting off wall, boiler cupboard situated directly above w/c pedestal and low awaiting head injury. The whole property is drab and in need of TLC don't think had much in years. Kitchen and Living Room reasonable but not great. Courtyard more like ancient prison cell with no roof , app 4.0mx 4.0m containing 2 drains and a dustbin with ladders tied against soil waste pipe, not a place to enjoy an evening tipple as stated and our dogs also refused to use it so not dog friendly.
No information pack was available for Doctors, Vets, Dentist, Shops, Restaurants and Pubs etc. No visitors book was available to comment in, wonder why? This is my worst cottage experience ever, I only stayed one night having booked for seven my Wife was so disgusted she didn't even unpack our belonging usually her first task. I don't know how the owner has the cheek to display Gold Award Certificates from 2004 and 2005 in the dining room on the sideboard. No Gold Award from me, owner could do a lot better.

Liked best: Leaving the Property
Liked least: Nothing to like.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.

Travellers are raving about these Bakewell hotels

LewisBoff...
Reading, United Kingdom
“Some plus points, but getting tired”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

I have been staying in cottages in the UK in Mach/April for 25 or so years. In the past I have been interested in remote locations, but now I have a child I decided to go for a location within a town, which seems to put the cost up and brings its own problems, such as a lack of parking and noise from the road outside.

Knoll cottage delivered on the location, with the town only being a short walk away, and the museum is even closer. There is a good supply of towels and also a good boiler giving some of the hottest water I have ever come across. All the equipment worked, although I would have thought that a folder with manuals in would have helped. Last year I was spoilt when the cottage I was staying in had free wi-fi and a computer - no such luck this year.

My overall impression is that the cottage became a holiday let around 2004 and that it is now beginning to be in need of a refresh. There are awards from 2004 and 2005 on display - but tellingly none since, and also no comments book. The front door needs some paint and there are signs of dampness on the walls, my wife has a more sensitive nose than me and said that there was a smell of dampness too!

On balance I would have been happier if I had paid less.

Liked best: location
Liked least: tired feel
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Linda A
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Well equipped cottage in a charming town.”
Reviewed 10 October 2013 for a stay in October 2013

We spent four nights at Knoll Cottage, which we found to be very well equipped with all appliances in good working order. The bathroom was lovely, spacious and warm with a large supply of towels!! The double bedroom had twin aspect windows which made it a very pleasant sunny room.
Parking is always a bit difficult in Bakewell and we decided to park on Yeld Road, which is the 1st left turning uphill past the cottage and we walked our cases down from there. The road is fast and busy at peak times and school coaches use it twice a day so I wouldn't like to try and load or unload outside the cottage.
Bakewell is a charming little town with lots of dog friendly pubs and coffee shops. We also went to Chatsworth which was really lovely and that is well worth a visit. The weather was very good while we stayed there, for October, and we were able to eat outside the pubs and enjoy the sunshine.The only disappointment was the courtyard, which although south facing got very little sun at all probably due to the large and thick trees in the adjoining garden. My little dog was not at all happy out there and this was a bit of a problem first thing in the morning. However, it is not far to walk into the town and there is a large park by the river.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The spacious bathroom which was very pleasant
Liked least: The courtyard which was very unappealing
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing