“An excellent and expensive day out”
Review of Longleat

Longleat
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Warminster
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Visited longleat on nice and sunny day on Sunday 2nd June.Before we start let me tell you you need atleast 7 hours to cover all the attractions that are on offer.So, make sure you reach as early as you can.We reached there at 1PM [as the girls took forever to get ready :-) ] so were not able cover everything.
1.As we reached at 1PM we grabbed a quick bite at BBQ and an icecream and headed straight to Predators of the Sky show which was amazing.Vultures , eagles and other birds flying all around and flying right above you , one has to duck many times to avoid collision with vultures !!! I had never seen my 3 year old nieche so haapy.(THis took 45 minutes)
2.After that we went to DEER valley where there are many deers you can feed them some special food which can be purchased for 1£ per cup.Again this was fantastic , I has never seen a real deer before this and my niece was ecstatic !!(This took around 20-30 minutes)
3.Then we headed straight to our cars for a SAFARI,we inserted a CD provided by Longleat staff into the CD player and it will take you through the SAFARI.
On the way to African village we saw some animals from soo close that i was able to hear the grazing sound !!!In the african village I was looking forwars to feed the Jirraffes but unfortunately feeding time is till 2 PM only.(This will take 30 minutes)
4.So we again got into the cars and headed for rest of the safari in which we saw Zebras,Lions,Tigers,Cheetas and many more.We went into the monkey enclosure and were surprised that monkeys were well manared on that day , they did nothing to our shiny black car!! Then we went to deer park where again you can feed deers from your car by buying 1£ food cup (This will easily take 1 hour)
5.After this we again parked our car and went to Jungle cruise and saw some Gorrilla's , Hippos and sea lions. On the way you can fees fish by buying fish sood for 50p (This takes 40 minutes)
6.Finally we went for Jungle train which was OK (Took 20 minutes) , we missed "Get close to the Animals" section , The maze was closed by the time we reached there and basically everything else was closed at sharp 6PM.So we missed everything else that was on offer.
But still it was a fantastic day and mind you for a family visit its quite expensive so I will suggest book online to get 15% discount.
There are too many grass areas which are immaculately maintained so do bring picnic if possible.One can easily spend 2 days here.You can visit Stonehenge also which is on the way if you are traveling from London.

1  Thank anand229
Write a ReviewReviews (7,306)
All reviews
in 230 reviews
"santa train"
in 117 reviews

Reviewed 2 June 2013

My trip to Longleat could not have been better. I loved every second! It was a Saturday in half term so I anticipated it being busy and got there early. I had prebooked a VIP bronze safari tour so went down the fast track lane. There were only a couple of cars infront of me.

I went straight to the boat which was amazing. You can feed the seals from the boat and they are really playful. I was glad I got the first tour as it meant the boat wasn't full so you could see more. It also meant I could get a second pot of fish to feed the seals (£1 per pot). I saw Niko the silverback gorilla on gorilla island. He is fab. I went back on the boat later in the day which is worth doing as you see different things. Dissapointed that the hippos were hiding both times!

I then went on my VIP bronze tour with Steve. He was a great guide and it was well worth the money as you really do go off road and up close to the animals. You skip queues by going off road and get so much closer to the animals. Steve gave us choices about what we would rather spend more time doing and really knew all the animals superbly well. It was amazing to be inches from giraffes (one even tried to look through the sunroof). We got a couple of feet from rhino, tigers, leopards and many more...amazing.

I had a quick look around Longleat house - very nice. The staff were really informative and friendly.

Such a lovely day. It's a full days trip so bare this in mind and get there early. I would recommend the VIP tours - the price is well worth it to get so close to the animals and to get all the info the guides have.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Unfortunatly the weather wasnt in our favour, however it never stopped us enjoying this magnificent house, i never expected such granduer inside or out. It was fabulous, to imagine how the family lived in the past, and the amount of people they employed giving security too, so glad its still there for us all to see. the safari park was fun, the car in front of us got torn up by a very mischievous monkey, ( wee tiny thing it was) glad it only paid us a visit, the animals on view were wonderful and so close, we loved it. Lovely coffee and cakes, ( not expensive) even the shop prices were good. Shame we never got to wander around the maze, boat etc, the heavens had opened and it was just too cold, nobody can be blamed for the weather eh. Please visit if you get the chance.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We recently too k the kids to Longleat near Bath. The kids loved it, particularly the monkey enclosure, were the monkeys actually come onto the cars. I was impressed with the number and types of animals on show including several black Rhino. Longleat is a special place and its very obvious that the animals are really well cared for, the staff are diligent and very knowledgeable. I don't think it's everyone's cup of tea, but I do think its well worth a visit.