“Great Attraction”

Wirral Transport Museum
Ranked #5 of 35 things to do in Birkenhead
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Wirral Transport Museum & Heritage Tramway is a working museum and working heritage tramway preserving Buses, Trams & other local transport related vehicles We are open every weekend from 1pm (Saturday & Sunday) and during school holidays we are open Wednesday, Thursday & Friday plus every Bank Holiday Monday. you can ride on original fully restored heritage trams, see our collection of preserved local Buses and in the museum our ongoing restoration projects and a huge working Model Railway. A HISTORY OF BIRKENHEAD TRAMWAYS Back when Birkenhead was a pioneering industrial town it was the first place in Europe to adopt a street tramway. Those trams ceased operating in 1937, but in 1995 they were revived and you can now travel on one of a series of historic vehicles and experience tram travel for yourself. Trams dating from as early as 1901 operate to make the short journey from Woodside to the Wirral Transport Museum, where you can view the rest of the fleet - tram cars from Birkenhead, Liverpool, Wallasey and a recently restored car from Lisbon, Portugal. The Museum is a proud winner of the Wirral Unsung Hero of The Year 2012 with their volunteers. The transport collection was created as a celebration of Birkenhead's place in the history of public transport, and set up in collaboration with the volunteers of the Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society, who restore old trams. In addition to trams, the museum houses a collection of local buses in running order and a group of cars and motorbikes from the Baxter Collection. There is also a 27 foot long model railway layout. Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society Limited is a Registered Charity . No. 1092127.
Reviewed 9 November 2017

I Have visited this Museum on numerous occasions and it is a pleasure to see what is going on here. To have a tram track with trams is in my mind a little gem in this part of the Wirral. It is not open all the time so It is wise to check opening times so as to avoid disappointment. There is a model railway also.The Museum is free but there is a charge to travel on the tram but well worth the experience. This Museum suits all ages. So on the basis of my last visit I have no hesitation in recommending this attraction.

1  Thank HarryS70
"hamilton square"
in 3 reviews
"pier head"

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

An amazing collection of old and vintage vehicles7. Some past my memory others bringing nostalgia back to the day. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Tina L
Reviewed 16 October 2017

As I am restoring a BSA motorcvcle, I was looking for a similar model, a C10L, to examine, and photograph - and the museum has one.

A telephone call one week ahead of my visit, revealed that photography is not only welcomed, but positively encouraged, and Peter, the gent that I spoke to, and was later my tram conductor, chuckled when he mentioned that they also have a model railway, which pleased this "little boy", (I'm 72, and also have model railways, by the way - I just never grew up - thankfully!)

All of the staff were extremely helpful, my special thanks to David, who ensured that I got all the photo's that I needed, before I viewed the remainder of the motor cycles, the model railway, (a good size), looked at all the buses, cars and then took a ride on Wallasey No 78.

A superb afternoon out, my thanks to you all, and see you again, very soon, I hope!

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Fantastic place for a good day out, my wife and I spent a couple of hours looking around the trams buses, cars, and motorcycles, all are accessible to the public and all in great condition and this is the surprising bit “ IT’S FREE “ you can ride a working tram to Woodside and back for £2. Fantastic

1  Thank Alan_W186337