“Accommodating and friendly service, large portions.”
Review of Windsor Restaurant

Windsor Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 48 Restaurants in Cookstown
Cuisines: Irish, British
Reviewed 11 September 2018

We were very pleased by the kind service and generous portions served at lunchtime. Definitely a favourite with the local seniors and families. As my daughter is a picky eater, they put together requested items off the menu to serve as a meal and I think we ordered some lunch specials that were definitely under 10 GBP and very filling. On menu were steaks, salads, burgers, soups, sandwiches and lighter fare. Separate gluten-free menu. Cloth tablecloths, carpeted floors, clean WCs, waitstaff very pleasant and patient. It's all good. Great value for money. We recommend!

Date of visit: July 2018
TheRoyalHotel, Reception at Windsor Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Dear Canucksontheloose,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. We are delighted to see that you were pleased with your lunch and we really appreciate your kind comments about our menu, staff and food. We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Have to say it's my favourite restaurant and I go to many different restaurants to try different menus but this is the best,excellent food all the time and service is the best I've seen nothing is too much trouble and I'm a really fussy eater. I always choose of the menu and change wee bits of it to suit my liking never any problems and always done with a smile so well done to all the staff the Lennox family

Date of visit: September 2017
TheRoyalHotel, Reception at Windsor Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Dear Mandy,

Thank you so much for your review. It is wonderful to see that The Royal Hotel is your favourite place to eat and we really appreciate your kind comments about our food and service. I'll certainly pass your remarks on to our staff team who will be delighted that you have been consistently pleased with your experiences dining with us. We look forward to seeing you for another visit in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

I've stayed here three times before .The hotel overall is very good , staff are extremely friendly and helpful, rooms are clean and spacious, the beer is also very good but the food is excellent !!!

Date of visit: August 2017
TheRoyalHotel, Reception at Windsor Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Dear Kevin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. It's great to see that you enjoyed your experience at The Royal Hotel. We really appreciate your kind comments and hope to welcome you back for a fourth visit in the near future.

Very best wishes,

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Very disappointed. We ordered our meal just as Sunday carvery was finishing and I honestly think our chips were the leftovers just reheated. Steak was overcooked and not very tasty! This used to be our favourite restaurant but I wouldn't be in a hurry back. Staff are always pleasant and attentive tho.

Date of visit: June 2017
TheRoyalHotel, Reception at Windsor Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Dear EmLou101,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your meal at The Windsor Restaurant and for your kind remarks about our staff. Please accept my apologies that you were dissatisfied with your food. We pride ourselves on our consistently high standards and can assure you that chips are always freshly cooked to order and never reheated from leftovers. Additionally, we would have been more than happy to replace your meal if you had indicated any problem at the time.

We do hope that you will return for another visit and give us the opportunity to provide the quality of food and service for which we are locally renowned.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Just moved back to cookstown and honestly I like the Royal hotel. It's family friendly. Staff are pretty good and the place is laid back. The menu has recently changed and on both occasions I ordered the t bone steak. The first time I put it down to being overcooked but after the second time and requesting medium I think the quality of the steak is very very poor. Poor cut and dry. The chicken stir fry was fine but honestly I would prefer if these country places would concentrate less on portion sizes that no normal person could or should comfortably eat and focus on quality. My last visit was a Monday night. The bar area was completely empty and we sat down and the table beside was dirty. The chairs had food items. Also the menus , if you are goin to invest in nice new menus then it is wasted when they are covered in finger prints and food stains. Come on please owner sit down in your restaurant and look around. You have such a potential as the food in cookstown is poor beyond belief and unfortunately you have failed with this new food relaunch. Go and visit some nice restaurants around Belfast or anywhere and order some of your food and compare. Basically it's cheap, massive portions , which may have worked 15 years ago but things have changed albeit not in cookstown and the Royal is not the only place. I will go again and try other things on the menu. I mean 10 quid for a stir fry that would feed 2 with an extra side, great if your standards aren't so high. Very happy to update my review when and if things improve. I'd be happy to pay more for the steak and get a decent cut. Who wants to pay 21 quid for a steak with no flavour. I'd rather pay the typical 32 for a t bone and have a big juicy thick steak. I appreciate the clientele may be price conscious but I suppose it's a bit like Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares, the people you will gain by serving great food will more than make up for regulars you will lose. Just my suggestions and take what you like and what you don't. However I see another review here mentioned the dirtiness and he questioned the integrity of the reviews. Staff are verbally attentive but when doing nothing instead of talking they could be cleaning. Whilst I won't do that I was very surprised so little bad reviews were present :)

Best wishes.

Date of visit: July 2017
TheRoyalHotel, Reception at Windsor Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Dear Rob8012,

Many thanks for your review and welcome back to Cookstown. Firstly, thank you for your kind comments about our staff and our family friendly approach. It's always our goal to make every customer feel welcomed and valued. We really appreciate your feedback regarding the T-Bone Steak as our menu is currently under review and we will pass your comments on to our Chef. We apologise if the table beside you had not yet been cleaned and for the wear and tear on the menus and we will take your recommendations on board as we are always seeking to find ways of improving customer experience.

We are very glad to see that you are willing to return to sample other dishes from our menu and we hope to welcome you back to The Royal Hotel very soon.