All reviewsrainforest walklong houseancient rainforestbase campfrom scratchknowledgeable guidespre triptemperate rainforestglowtrevortentstigerinterpretationwalksuntouchedrivercomfort
Reviewed 29 November 2017

I did the 4 day Rainforest Photography Workshop from 17-20 November with Tasmanian based photographers, Rob Blakers and Loic le Guilly. I highly recommend this workshop. For me, it was an opportunity to immerse myself in the beautiful Tarkine Rainforest and to absorb myself in my interest of nature photography. On both accounts, I am so pleased I did the workshop. The communication in the lead up to the workshop by Indianna, the manager, was really helpful and thorough. I called her a couple of times and she answered all my questions. I was very impressed by the photographers for their indepth knowledge of photographing this complex environment with so much vegetation and possible subjects, and difficult light at times. I learnt a lot - some things that were basic and that I hadn't really understood previously but other things about both the art and science of this type of photographer. A great gift was that I really came to understand how I best operate as a photographer in this environment. And that is to go slow. Our guides, Trevor and Karl, worked really hard for our group. On guiding us along the tagged trails, to sharing their passion for the Tarkine, to doing the cooking and the other things that meant our group could concentrate on our photography. The trails are often on uneven ground, going up and down, and I was very pleased I did the pre trip walking program sent out by Tarkine Trails. I wasn't used to walking much with my camera gear on my back and this got me accustomed to it. I also wasn't really fit going up hills and so the program was a help. I did use walking poles and found them great. It was a treat to be in this quiet beautiful forest and away from the internet, phone and TV. Thank you again, Tarkine Trails.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
TarkineTrailsAdmin, Manager at Tarkine Trails, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful review, BrisbaneAnne!
The feedback from our photography workshop has been fantastic, and we cannot wait for our next photography trip into this incredible rainforest in March 2018.

The takayna/Tarkine rainforest is extremely difficult to photograph - as you say, the complex environment and lighting can be very challenging and it's wonderful to hear that the guidance from both, Rob Blakers and Loic Le Guilly, taught you many new skills that you can continue to execute through your photography.

Thank you for uploading some of your images from the trip, they are absolutely stunning and have captured the unique beauty of this ancient landscape perfectly!

Reviewed 7 November 2017

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed the 4 day Tarkine rainforest walk - 10/10. The guides - Trevor, Karl and Ash - were absolutely brilliant. Talk about multi talented! They were knowledgeable and passionate about the rainforest; they were also amazing cooks, great hosts and worked non stop looking after us. The walks were an easy pace, and allowed time to really explore this beautiful environment. Then coming back to the "long house" and enjoying a glass of wine, a chat by the fireplace, and a beautiful meal just topped the day off. Thoroughly recommend a visit to this special place.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
TarkineTrailsAdmin, Manager at Tarkine Trails, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Thank you for your lovely review loolies!
Our very first trip of the season, and it went off with a delightful bang :)
We are all over the moon that you both had a wonderful time with our guides in this special part of the world, and we hope that you have both walked away with memories you will never forget!

Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

We did the 4 day rainforest walk, which is light on walking but a beautiful experience. Each day you set off from base camp for an easy walk exploring ancient temperate rainforest. The guides are passionate and knowledgeable. The evenings are spent chatting around the fireplace of the long hut with various local wines and a well cooked dinner. This is a very important part of the world.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
TarkineTrailsAdmin, Manager at Tarkine Trails, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2017

Thank you for your kind review Emily!
We are glad you had a wonderful time in the Tarkine/tarkine rainforest this year. Our guides are spectacular at what they do, with their passion and knowledge for this ancient rainforest, guests come away with an added appreciation for this ancient landscape. We hope you can visit the Tarkine again one day, maybe to do a longer, multi-day walk into the heart of this incredible landscape!

Reviewed 20 March 2017

Our group of 9 friends traveled into the Tarkine to stay at Tiger Ridge base camp as part of the Tarkine Rainforest Walk four day experience. Our guides Dan and Mic were friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable. We were treated to excellent food and drinks in the magical surrounds of this pristine and very precious part of the world. Our delicious evening sun-downers and meals were served around the warmth and glow of a glass enclosed pot belly fire surrounded and overlooking the ancient trees and ferns. The guided walks into the forest were an immersion into beauty, tranquility and the wonder of nature. What a privilege to be able to live in this virtually untouched landscape in such comfort.
Highly recommended for all nature lovers.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for your great review Trev!
It was a pleasure to have you and your group of friends join us on a private tour of the Tarkine/takayna rainforest this year. We take great pride in our wonderful guides, and the experience we offer in this ancient rainforest, and are delighted to hear that you had a fantastic time in this very special part of the world. If you ever want to organise another group trip, please let us know as we would love to welcome you all back!

Reviewed 14 December 2016

I did the six day Rainforest Walk. Spending this time walking through an other worldly, moss-covered, primeval landscape was indescribably moving, humbling and joyous. Words really can't do it justice; you're just going to have to go and see/feel for yourself. On a more practical level, the pre-trip organisation was flawless, the guides were knowledgeable and clearly passionate about the Tarkine and they looked after us superbly. I don't know what they're paid but its not enough! One of the delights of this walk is that you're not following tracks, so good guides are essential and although I felt pleasantly divorced from the everyday world I always felt completely safe. The waterfalls, brightly coloured fungi (including some glow-in-the-dark green ones), gurgling creeks, towering trees and centuries old tree ferns were wonderful but it was the intangible atmosphere of this ancient place that had the most profound and, I suspect, lasting effect on me. Do this walk if you possibly can.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rosemary G

Thank you, Rosemary, for your kind review!
You are right, it is very difficult to put into words just how spectacular and moving the Tarkine/takayna rainforest is. We are glad you had an incredible experience with our guides in this ancient rainforest, and we hope you have left with memories that you will never forget! We look forward to welcoming you back one day!