All reviews long house ancient rainforest knowledgeable guides pre trip trevor tents wilderness interpretation walks untouched river ella comfort mining campers sleeping fireplace
Reviewed 1 June 2016

For anyone wanting to get right up close and personal with the Tasmanian rainforest and not an experienced bushwalker or even camper, then this is the ideal way to do it.

Everything is provided for you including transport, food, accommodation and expert guiding. The walks are very easy going and there's plenty of time to take in the scenery or take photos.

The food deserves special mention. There was cheese and biscuits, wine, beautiful main courses and desserts and even cooked lunches on our walks.

All up a great trip and highly recommended.

Room tip: No noise in any room except the sounds of the rainforest at night.
Date of stay: May 2016
1  Thank John O
Reviewed 16 May 2016

What a way to start my new 'thing' of hiking. A 6 day bushwalk in one of the most beautiful parts of this beautiful country. The idea of going somewhere where so few people have been, leaving the 'civilised' world so far behind really appealed to me. It was green, it was quiet, it was full of the most wonderful array of fungi, of trees, ferns, grasses, fallen logs, 'totem poles' created by black cockatoos, masses of mosses, lichens, devil cameras, pristine rivers, cascading waterfalls. Heaven (yes, we really went there).

And the Tarkine Trail folk who make the visits possible - you seriously could not ask for better service (thanks Indianna!) nor better companions (not just guides or drivers - thanks Dan, thanks Erik, thanks Gino!) They all truly care about this planet and in particular this spectacular region. Their passion for it, for its continued existence, and for their part in showcasing the Tarkine to the world via their intimate tours, is inspiring. It bodes well for the future.

Carrying what I needed (well, mostly - thanks Mark!), drinking water from the river, sharing wonderful meals with good like-minded folk (hi Caroline, hi Jason, hi Brian!), snuggled at night in my sleeping bag in my little tent under the stars, getting to sleep not long after dark, feeling encouraged and supported by my fellow hikers (because yes, my short legs did make me last to arrive every time), I also felt supported by the environment, by the very air around me. I even swam in the river - totally NOT planned, but I couldn't resist it.

I plan to go again, next time on the Tarkine CoastTrail. It's good to know that, after that, if I don't feel up to a 6 day hike, with a 15k pack, Tarkine Trails has a rainforest base camp, where I can stay and just go on day walks into the forest. It looks beautiful.

I'd encourage everyone to get to the Tarkine, to see its majesty, to breathe in its essence, and to understand its importance.

Room tip: My room was a tent in the forest - nice!
Date of stay: April 2016
Reviewed 2 May 2016 via mobile

I participated in the 6 day walk at the end of March this year. Camping, an acceptable pack weight following recommendations of gear to bring. Two wonderful guides, Trevor & Jane plus guest-porter Brodie. Two other guests on the trip. Food was prepared from scratch and really lovely & nourishing. On trail interpretation was excellent. Really focused us all on the now & on the environment we were walking through. The trail is a circular trip, no major backtracking. Soft forest floor made for nice walking and good camp sites. The real star of the trail is the stunning Tarkine itself. Magnificent rainforest, truly awe inspiring giant myrtle trees with statuesque tree ferns covered in filmy ferns. It was the time of Autumn fungi emergents too. Gets you focused on the minute. Really wonderful trip.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Anne G
Reviewed 8 March 2016

This is an ancient rainforest - 600 year old trees, 800 year old palms - a place where very few people have visited. Stay in comfortable tents, carry very little - delicious meals & wine - it is a magical place. Learn about the forest, the plants and how unique it is from the guides. What more can I say - put it on your bucket list - and visit now

Room tip: All tents have a view of the rainforest
Date of stay: March 2016
1  Thank NotVeryGood
Reviewed 29 January 2016

This walk was just life altering for me. It transformed my busy, cluttered mind and stressed body into one of peace and serenity and all with a greater appreciation of forest preservation, ecology and Tasmania. The walk challenged me but throughout I felt totally supported and cared for by Trevor, Jane and Erik. There were plenty of rest stops and time to lean on an ancient myrtle and soak up the incredible environment. The food was surprisingly gourmet and delicious and my dietary requirements were catered for on an exceptional level. I'll never forget the humour and laughs we shared along the trail and still quietly chuckle at some of the moments!
This place is truly beautiful and precious and I feel even more passionate about helping to preserve this 65 million year old tract of gondwana rainforest.
I would love to book in to do this walk every year for my own health and wellbeing but to support the tremendous work of Tarkine Trails.

Date of stay: October 2015