USD 74
USD 66
USD 96
USD 88
Agoda.com
Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge(Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park)
USD 383
USD 211
  • Restaurant
Cradle Mountain Hotel(Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park)(Great Value!)
USD 101
USD 92
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 120/night.

Comfort Inn Gold Rush(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
USD 92
USD 73
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 82/night.

Silver Hills Motel(Queenstown)
USD 72
The Empire Hotel(Queenstown)
USD 57
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrainforest walklong houseancient rainforestbase campfrom scratchknowledgeable guidespre triptemperate rainforestglowtrevortigerinterpretationwalksuntouchedrivercomfortmining
Reviewed 25 April 2012

It was an unforgettable 4 days. I expected it to be beautiful and amazing, and I wasn't disappointed. Our guide Darvis, the accommodation, the food, and the amenities were all great. What I didn't expect was the emotional response I felt to this amazing landscape, it bought me to tears more than once. How very privileged we are to still have a place like this to visit in this world. It must be protected, whatever it takes.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sylke R
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My husband and I will never forget the sublime 6 day trek in the Tarkine rainforest with Tarkine Trails. The whole thing was simply stunning - the company, food, knowledge and enthusiasm of the guides - and of course the most amazing ancient and truly pristine wilderness. We feel so lucky and privileged to have set foot in this beautiful remnant of a time long ago. Still untouched - hopefully for ever.

Room Tip: Your room is a tent - the ones supplied by Tarkine Trails are excellent and very light.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Princess_PAustralia
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Wow - our 2night / 3 day trip into the magnificent Tarkine Rainforest was truly spectacular. This part of the world needs to be protected so many generations to come can share the joy it has to offer.
Tarkine Trails were very professional and friendly team right from booking to saying goodbye to our amazing guides Rob & Clare. I couldn't recommend highly enough this trip. For me "the very unfit" the hiking was difficult but for the normal fit person it would be confortable yet challenging. To walk and see what others have not takes your breath away.
The Long House provides a central spot to gather chat, eat, drink and enjoy.
Food and drink was top class and out tent was spacious, dry and a lovely place to sleep, drifting off to the sounds of the rainforest was beautiful.

Room Tip: the tent further away is quite dark and may be a little damp
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bev F
Reviewed 18 December 2011

My wife and I are reasonably experienced bush-walkers and yet we had never 'really' visited the Tarkine, it's that remote and isolated. We have seen many absolutely beautiful natural places but nothing will move you as much as the ancient forest of the Tarkine as it allows you to become immersed in it's beauty and brings tears of joy to your eyes. All this and Tarkine Trails staff make it easy to get there, staying in comfortable and stunning surroundings with fine food, wine and company. We thought we knew all about Tasmania and it's wilderness but this is new. It's easily as impressive as Cradle Mountain, from a different perspective, and no one else is in there. The fight to save this area from industry is just starting and Tarkine Trails is designed to get us to engage and join the effort. If you go you WILL NOT be able to walk away without feeling the responsibility we must take to protect one of the most wonderful parts of the world.

Room Tip: No room better than the others. Listen for the Sugar Gliders on there roof.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2011

"Stand 20 metres off the track here, and you will be standing where no human has ever stood before." - Trevor, our guide

How to describe Tarkine Trails? It is almost impossible to encompass what this small business has to offer by using the normal language of the travel industry. Guided walks? Check. Eco-Retreat? Check. Culinary Experience? Check. They are all these things. However they offer something that there is no word for in the typical tourism jargon. In this way, they are transcendental.

This is not your normal "tourism experience". A Tarkine Trails trip is a life experience.

My two journeys with Tarkine Trails (a Tarkine Getaway and a Tarkine Explorer) have lived up to the mighty claim on their website - "Simply life changing". Tarkine Trails operate in a landscape that demands your attention and challenges your emotions. To the point where life "on the outside" is placed into perspective.

As a travel journalist and someone who has worked in the industry I have a particularly high standard for what I think tourism businesses should offer their guests.

What the TT guides have learned to do is to facilitate this experience so that the landscape becomes accessible to people who thought they could "never do that sort of thing". I found myself in a situation where I felt pampered and well-cared for physically, my body was not being asked to do anything overly challenging. This allowed me to totally immerse myself. To be overwhelmed by nature is to be revitalised.

The great thing about this is that it is done in a way that isn't pious or pretentious. Most of all these trips are FUN. It is all about enjoying good people, good wine, good food in sublime surroundings.

The undercurrent which runs beneath every footstep is that the landscape is threatened. The Twin Threats of mining and forestry hang heavy in the Tarkine air. This is truly a region beyond compare. It is incredibly valuable for its diversity of plant and animal life, it also houses sites of great archeological significance to the Aboriginal history of Australia.

The research that Tarkine Trails are doing with regards to Tasmanian devils in the area is astonishing. The Tarkine is one of the only areas that still remains free of the disease which has ravaged their population.

There are various reasons why the area is not protected but what is very obvious is that TT are not interested in fighting to save the Tarkine in the traditional way. They want to show the area to the world and make it more valuable as a tourist destination that as rocks in the back of a big truck.

And that's the kicker....

Because when you go on a Tarkine Trails trip YOU are making a difference. That is what made my experiences so personally valuable. I felt empowered. I felt like I could do something.

It was the best thing I have done.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo