We flew into San Juan and used Luquillo Taxi & Tours to shuttle our large group from the airport to the Fajardo Ferry terminal to catch the ferry to Vieques. The caretakers (Christian and Kaytie) had made arrangements to get us from the ferry terminal on Vieques to the property. Christian was there with his truck to load all the luggage and take some of our crew and he arranged a taxi minivan to shuttle the rest of us. When we entered the property, the taxi driver said that we were going to be staying in paradise as this is one of the nicest properties on the island.
His words proved true . . . We had one of the best vacations ever for our family during the week on this property.
Here's what we feel really made this a wonderful experience:
* Christian, Kaytie (and little Noah) were so helpful and accommodating!!!
* This property is ideal for seeing the island:
It is located on a hill overlooking Esperanza and Esperanza bay. The views and sunsets are breathtaking (especially from the top floor of the Rock House). What can be better than to be in the pool or working in the kitchen or sitting on the veranda and look out to views of the bay and boats and beauty.
Great breezes for comfort and enjoyment
3 separate houses to provide ample group and individual space
This location is literally minutes from the best beaches on the island. This is a big deal as around the island, access to restrooms is very limited (Sun Bay is really the only beach with restrooms). However, because of the location of this property, you can hit the beach in the morning and go back to the property to use the restrooms and rest in early afternoon before heading out for more fun.
* We rented two jeeps from the property. They were a great deal and super convenient!!
* The Property has beach chairs and an umbrella and beach towels. We used the beach chairs everywhere.
* The property has ice chests and insulated bags for packing a lunch for the beach. Again, these were invaluable!!
* Enjoyed exploring the property and all its fruit trees and even picked and ate fresh mangoes off two trees.
* The property is private and gated for added security.
* There is a washer and dryer at each house.
* TV and wifi at each house.
* In the late afternoon the pool begins to become shaded and is fantastic. It is fun to sit quietly under the pool pavilion and watch the egrets and birds come up and drink out of the pool.
Below was our itinerary for our week in paradise and may give you a few ideas (Distances shown are based on driving from the property):
Everyday - Swimming at the pool. Amazing!!!
Downtown Esperanza / Esperanza Beach - 3 minutes. Fun snorkeling around the pier.
Duffys for dinner - 4 minutes. Good seafood and nice outdoor seating.
Punta Arenas (Green Beach) - 35 minutes. Great snorkeling.
Navy Bunker exploring.
300-year old Cieba tree
Made arrangements to have dinner prepared and brought in by Esperanza local Gladys Adams. Fantastic local food.
Part of group did morning horseback ride with Equestrian Riding Company. They were awesome.
Breakfast at Belly Buttons
Visited Black Sand Beach. The Trail Head for Black Sand Beach - 7 minutes. Walk is easy 15 minute stroll.
Hiked to Cayo de Tierra - 4 minutes.
Went to Farmer's Market in Isabel.
Sun Bay Park and Beach - 4 minutes.
Had Waldo come and prepare a meal for our group on the beach. Paella, ribs, veggies and salad. A meal you will remember for a lifetime!!!
Media Luna Beach
Down Town Artisanal Ice Cream - 13 minutes
Shopping in Isabel.
Hiking Playuela Trails. Bring plenty of water!!
Down Town Artisanal Ice Cream - 13 minutes
Shopping in Isabel.
El Fortín de Conde Mirasol. Great historical place to visit and wonderful views.
Dinner prepared and brought in by Gladys Adams.
Bakery for breakfast and donuts. Not on Google Maps. Located on Almendro between Hucar and Tintillos. Local place with good food at cheap prices. Have breakfasts, sandwiches, donuts, bread, and pizza. Very limited seating. Opens at 7 am.
Puerto Ferro Lighthouse - 17 minutes
La Chiva (Blue Beach) - 20 minutes
Tin Box restaurant- 5 minutes. Opens at 4 pm with a few Happy Hour specials from 4 - 6 pm including $2 tacos.
Part of group did Biobay tour through Island Adventures. This is on an electric pontoon boat. Fantastic experience!!
Blaydin or Starfish Beach. Great for seeing starfish and finding shells.
Sea Glass Beach
Coqui Fire Restaurant in Isabel - 14 minutes. Need reservation.
Part of group did Bio Bay tour on clear bottom kayaks through Melaya's Tours. Fantastic!!
* If you have any needs or questions, ask Christian and Kaytie who are more than happy to help. They are the best. Extremely helpful!!
* May want to consider flying to Vieques instead of going via the ferry as the ferry cancels if there is bad weather, sells out during busy times, is often late (our 8:15 pm ferry took off after 9 pm), and can cause seasickness with some. Also, island locals get priority first boarding before ticketed guests.
* Green Store is close - 2 minutes. This is like a mini mart with limited items and is expensive. Bigger stores are in Isabel (15 minutes away) and have a little bit more of a selection. Stores do not give out bags to carry your purchase- bring your own bag. If you have picky eaters, bring your own food supplies. Fruit and veggies can only be found at the Farmers Market Tuesdays and Fridays.
* Bring plenty of sun block and bug spray and aloe for a sunburn.
* There are only a few (2 or 3) gas stations on the island (and I believe only in Isabel), so stop for gas while in Isabel. Don't get too low.
* Bring snorkels and fins.
* Buy and download Vieques Insider Essential Vieques Beach Guide.
* Great sunset viewing from the top of the Rock House and from the rooftop bar of El Blok.
* If you have an infant, bring plenty of formula as it is not sold in any stores on the island.
* Verizon has terrible reception on the island. T-Mobile has spotty reception. We could get no reception inside Vieques National Wildlife Refuge. If using Google Maps, be prepared to lose signal. May want to consider walkie talkies.
* Flashlights are a good idea to have for walking between the houses at night.