“Worth A Visit”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #10 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Whether you pop in for a scrumptious Sunday roast, a tempting dessert to satisfy your cravings for a sweet treat, or a celebratory meal with family and friends, you’re sure to find everything you need in The Red Lion. With its delicious menus, stylish yet comfortable interiors, and friendly atmosphere, you’ll be able to dine and indulge in the optimum style and comfort. Set outside Welwyn Garden City, just on the edge of Sherradspark Woods, the picturesque countryside setting adds yet another attractive dimension to this family orientated pub. Bursting with character and charm in every corner, whether you choose to drink or dine with us, you’re sure to leave with a smile in your face. We’re also a child friendly pub, so please feel free to bring your little ones along – they’ll love tucking into our dedicated children’s menu.
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Having heard about The Red Lion on a local radio station and the offer of a £40.00 voucher for £20.00 we decided to purchase and visit as we are always on the look out for new places to eat and drink.
The pub itself has had a refurbishment and very nice too. Like most pubs throughout the country, the focus is on food and being slightly different from the competition down the road.
To nibble and share we opted for the Sticky Platter, which consisted of spice Thai-style chicken skewers, Lebanese style beef kabobs, tonkatsu, pulled pork croquettes, alioli and chorizo topped flat bread. If like me you don't have a clue what half of it is, it was worth a try! First opinion was ok, but it soon became alright as everything tasted like it was pre-made and frozen. The price was £17.50 (nearly the voucher used up!!).
Now the main course, I opted for the Pan Fried Bass Fillets and having lived in Spain for over 11 years and sampled some wonderful fresh and frozen fish, I have tasted better than what I was served. The fish was over cooked and very dry and lacked substance. My wife however had the lamb which she said was amazing, and commented to the waitress how nice it was.
Having now read other reviews the general feeling would be good pub food (not restaurant) but at restaurant prices.
I will return because overall the staff were very friendly and the setting was nice but next time I will pick something else to eat.

3  Thank CostaMan
General Manager A, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Hello, reviews like this give us motivation and help us ensure we provide high-quality care, I will pass on your comments to our kitchen team as we appreciate all feedback, The Lamb Rump Special is indeed one of the most popular amongst our guests. I can only apologise that your sea bass was not up to expectation. We do encourage our guests to let us know if they are disappointed and we will happily exchange your meal. We look forward to you returning during the coming Winter months to see our real fires roaring and perhaps enjoy some homemade mulled wine.

Warm Wishes

Reviewed 13 October 2017

8 of us including three children, very friendly and efficient staff, service was not too long and not so quick that everything had to be microwaved and the food was excellent.

Beware of the post code if you are using a sat nav..... you could end up half way up the A1M and it will say you have reached your destination. Put in the actual address.

3  Thank PoitouCharentesphoto

Hi, we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit to The Red Lion, Welwyn. we take pride and our food and as you have said good food takes time. We encourage our guests to use AL6 9AJ to locate us, we hope to see you & your family again very soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

went here today for lunch ,not to return ever, wife,s salid was ok ,i had the gammon ,came out under cooked ,and to be fair ,no bother replacing the meal , as i asked for the replacement to be well cooked ,that came out again to me still on the uncooked side i left it ,had the cold crumble and custard ,couldnt be bothered to complin again ,the waitress didnt bother to ask when she bought the meal out if i would like any sauses or mustard , salt vinigar, none on the tables ,
i got the impression that could do with staff that wanted to serve you, and if you do go their ,the table i sat on had groves around the top ,full of crombs of stale food.

2  Thank bryan C
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Came on a very quiet time, 3-3:30. Service aside my dog getting really good attention from one of the young stuff (who left for a break later on I guess) was very poor.
Had the fish special and it wasn’t fresh, I didn’t have a chance to tell about this cause no one did a check back on any of the courses I had.

The soup I had for my starter was really good, gotta say.

Then ordered a cheese board which only came with 2 out the 4 cheeses advertised on the menu (still paid full price), again, no one came to check if everything was alright.

Funny enough, at the end I told the manager (who was the one waiting my table at the time) about missing 2 type of cheese and he all he said was: “oh, ok”
Hope you read this manager with the beard (Don’t know your name sadly) and learn that customers comes before the cellphone and the laptop.

No way Im coming back neither give good references about this place.

4  Thank Fermin G
General Manager A, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Fermin G, thank you for leaving us feedback. We are disappointed to hear that your experience was not a positive one. I will speak to our Head chef regarding the cheese suplliers to ensure that will have all the options availble. I can only apologise on the behalf of The Managment team that you feel let down on this occasion. We welcome all feedback , so we can continue to improve.

Regards

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Recently ate here as a group of 10 to celebrate my son's birthday. Lovely setting, bar area cosy with plenty of seating and the restaurant is well laid out. The menu has a good variety of dishes to choose from and the quality of the food was fantastic. The service was great - professional, attentive and efficient. Deputy Manager Carly really went out of her way to ensure we had a great evening! Would highly recommend.

General Manager A, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Hi Nhoseason, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! We hope to see you soon!