“A good venue for a group booking ”

Bustopher Jones Wine Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 192 Restaurants in Truro
Dining options: Reservations
Description: More a dining experience than a restaurant. A beautiful menu of modern British cuisine with a European influence. Bustopher Jones also offers an extensive wine list to compliment the food with a unique selection of cocktails.
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

I had been invited to attend a retirement lunch at this Truro establishment. Never having visited before, I was intrigued to see how something described as a ‘Wine Bar and Restaurant’ delivered. First impressions were excellent - very friendly bar and waiting staff were on hand to meet and greet. The choice of gins was excellent and they had the latest offering from the Trevethan distillery in Saltash available, which was mixed and served to perfection - very impressive indeed.
The retirement party had been given a room on the first floor which was lovely - attractive, light and airy, with plenty of space to socialise and move around.
I found the lunch menu a bit strange but was pleased to see a good range of options for a gluten free diet. I selected the squid in a GF batter coating, the broccoli with garlic and chilli and the skinny fries.
Maybe because we were quite a large group, the food wasn’t of the high standard I had been anticipating. It was ok and the flavours were good, but I was disappointed with some of the things: I had envisaged tenderstem broccoli spears (especially given the price of this dish) but it was just a few florets cut off a broccoli crown with a few bits of red chilli. The mark up on that dish must have been massive!! The squid was also quite a small portion and not a range of pieces of squid, just uniform shapes. The fries, though, were very good indeed.
Coffees at the end of the meal were also very nice and served with homemade biscuits (but not GF so I couldn’t eat - but others seemed happy with).
I imagine Bustopher Jones would be a really great place for a drinks session but perhaps needs to think a little bit more about ‘value for money’ with a lunchtime menu. I enjoyed the most amazing three course lunchtime meal in Exeter last week for less than what I paid today for one course.
I would return to sample an evening meal if I was back in Truro again and would definitely go back for a drink at the bar.

Darren M, Head chef at Bustopher Jones Wine Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

Thank you for your detailed review of your visit this week.

It sounds like overall you had a great time. It is a shame that you didn't sample one of the biscuits we make for our coffees as they are gluten free and delicious, pop in next time you're in town and have a coffee and a biscuit on us to try one.

Or email us your address to info@bustopher-jones.co.uk and we'll send you some in the post.

Broccoli is strugling at the moment due to the weather we have been having, but I am very focused on supporting our local producers, our broccoli comes from Gluvian growers near to Mawgan Porth.
Tender stem at the moment would be from Africa, most probably Kenya. But I am sorry that you felt it was disappointing even though the flavour was good.

We hope that you do return in the future to try out dinner and more of the drinks menu.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

During a family trip to Truro, we all decided to eat early evening (1700) and, in a nod to my last visit to Bustopher Jones some 25 years previously, we headed for Lemon Street.

Although the 3 boys only required a ‘fries top up’ since lunch, my wife and I elected to eat from the Specials board.

Following an unexpected but welcome ‘amuse bouche’ of very rare duck breast, I opted for the pork tenderloin served with mushrooms and black pudding while my wife chose a fantastic Moroccan-style chickpea dish.

I can honestly say that my pork was one of the most sublime dishes I have ever consumed: exquisitely cooked with perfect seasoning and accompaniments in just the right portion (everyone else tasted and agreed!).

With great, but not over-bearing service, and a (child-)friendly reception - not always a given for slightly shabby tourists in a smart setting - you can tell that I was a very happy bunny!

With spot-on puddings and a really interesting wine-list, I highly recommend you visit this place. I can’t wait to return.

25 years since your last visit, hopefully it will be a bit sooner next time.

Really glad you enjoyed yourselves, we are always welcoming of families with well behaved children and yours were just that.

Being a family run restaurant we value the importance of family time, and the times of day that they need feeding, hence why we are now open all day for food.

The pork special was a dish created by our sous chef James, just before he headed off for his summer holiday and he'll be pleased to hear how well it was received.

We look forward to welcoming you all back next time you are in the area, and hope you survive the return to school blues.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Been here for food and cocktails, never disappointed. Great staff and great food with a fantastic open kitchen.

Darren M, Head chef at Bustopher Jones Wine Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Cheers Trystan.

We always aim to please. Open kitchen is fantastic almost all the time, although the occasional outbursts of singing along too the kitchen soundtrack can be an issue.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Fantastic! Popped in after the cinema and had starters and shared cheese board and express creme brûlée with mini doughnuts....soooo good! Also fabulous drinks selection, we plumped for 2 Cornish gins, also great. Will be back!

Darren M, Head chef at Bustopher Jones Wine Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Glad to hear you enjoyed your evening, we are currently looking to do some collaborations with the cinema for Sunday nights so watch this space.

From across the pass you both seemed to be having a great time, just what bank holiday weekends were made for.

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

We attended Bustophers for a leaving meal for 13 people. The communication beforehand was efficient and meals were pre-ordered by name so no confusion. Food was amazing! Atmosphere was lovely and the host made sure that nothing was too much trouble. We also took a cake for the lady that was leaving and the restaurant took care of this for us.
Would definitely go back with friends again.
Loved it!
Kath x

Than ks for your kind words Kath,

Always great to have pre-orders by names, makes everyone's life easier.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the food, and were well looked after, it was a very busy night for us in the main restaurant so glad that we still kept our standards for your party upstairs.

The singing of happy Birthday when Ashley brought the cake in nearly unsettled him in to song, but he just managed to resist.

Hope to see you all again, you were a great crowd