“Lovely meal and atmosphere”
Review of The Thomas Daniell

The Thomas Daniell
Ranked #21 of 192 Restaurants in Truro
Price range: USD 7 - USD 33
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 September 2018

We went here for my birthday and had a lovely meal. The staff were very pleasant and the atmosphere was good. The food was delicious. The only downside was the cutlery was not very good quality, which I know sounds a bit strange, but it wasn't very nice to handle. Overall I would recommend it.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Ok so....it was a Saturday night and we hadnt booked. Guilty as charged that we thought we could swan up to the place and get a table. I mean, most places tell you when you get there whether they can accommodate you or not, but not here. We were told if there’s an empty table we can have it as long as we can vacate before the reserved time, which is notified on the table. There were plenty of tables eating already so thought we would chance our luck and, encouraged by the staff, wait around to see and have a drink while we wait. One of the waiters was being very helpful and even advised us of a table that was about to vacate and we could have it once they’ve left. Great we thought.....alas, 2 minutes later the woman front of house came up to us and, quite abruptly said “you’re looking for a table for 4? Well there won’t be a table available until 9:30. Would you like to book?” In a tone that was more like “I’m just saying that to seem polite but I know full well you don’t want a table that late so see you later yeah?” No apology that we had been told incorrect information which wouldn’t have bothered me because I know full well people make mistakes. If we had been told, when we walked in at about 7:30, that it was unlikely a table will become available until 9:30 we would have been like “fair enough, that’s our fault for not booking, maybe another time”.

3  Thank NorthStar54014
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

I choose to eat here because it was close to my hotel. Glad I did. Arrived at 18:45 and was met with a friendly smile and attentive service from all the members of staff I met; most attentive as I got 3 sets of cutlery at one point ;). Inside was a little toasty for my liking so I sat outside. Had the mushroom and truffle oil soup with warm bread and butter for starter, and the Veggie Meze for main. A pint of Vedett to drink (total about £26). Food was excellent, delicious and far too much for me to eat (my fault for a late lunch). The place is situated a little way out of the city and up a steep hill, but is definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

We went for an early evening meal on a Tuesday . I do like the decor and atmosphere of this pub/restaurant . The food is always good. I had fish and chips which was very fresh and tasty.My wife had the lamb flatbread which was tasty but had too much very spicy Harissa poured over it. Luckily she can eat hot food but this dish would have been inedible for some people.There was no mention of how spicy it was on the menu.
All a bit of a shame as the dish was very nice apart from this.
The staff were efficient but just lacked that attention to detail that would make eating here a 5 star experience! It took 5 minutes and 2 asks to get some ketchup for my fish and chips!
All in all highly recommended ,great food but staff need to step up a bit?

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Had a good meal here marred only by the fairly long wait for it (about 45 minutes). Puddings were also delicious.