USD 101
Orbitz.com
Cliftons(Truro)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscakeon arrivalcarlton hotelplates and cutlerycomplimentary teawelcoming hotelfree breakfastup hillwell stocked barvictoria spongeevery afternoonplenty of parkingfull englishcar parkten minute walklovely touchcomfortable bed
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Merchant House slips into the space between being a large B&B and a small hotel. The welcome was friendly and there was plenty of parking. On the Falmouth Road, it was easy to find and easy to access via the by-pass. It's a short walk downhill to the city centre; so remember it is uphill on the way back!

The room was fine, somewhat filled by the comfortable double bed. Tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Not enough space for a full wardrobe, but sufficient hanging space for a short trip. Bathroom was a tad spartan, with a weak shower. Velux window with velux blinds rather than curtains.

They serve tea/coffee and cake in the dining room / bar all afternoon, included in the price, and very nice it was too. Very English! Bar open until 11pm.

For a short trip to Truro, the Hotel is very good. I think breakfast should be included in the price, but it does leave you the choice.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear Neathoak,
Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and received our traditional welcoming and friendly service and that you indulged in our free afternoon tea/coffee with Homemade Cake.
I am delighted to hear you made use of our free on-site car parking and found the Hotel to be in a good location for visiting Truro City Centre, as you mentioned we are located on the top of a hill and for anyone who may not want to walk back up the hill First Buses offer the U1 service that departs from Truro every 30 minutes and stops directly outside the front of the Hotel.
I apologise if you were not made aware but if you book direct with us on our direct website or over the phone our delicious freshly cooked Full English breakfast is included free of charge, however as you mentioned room only rates are booked with 3rd party agents such as Booking.com or Expedia.
I am sorry to hear that you found the pressure of the shower weak which is not usually the case therefore I will be sure to look into this, our Cosy Double rooms do vary in layout due to the shape of the building and some of them do have full windows. If this is what you would prefer please be sure to give our Reception team a call to book any future stays and mention this to them and we will be more than happy to get this booked for you.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Best Wishes
Nicky Whittaker- Owner

Reviewed 3 April 2018

* Wonderful accommodating welcome
* Perfect Guest Book - concise and informative without being exhaustive!
* More rooms than expected - This is not a negative, just adds to my observation that the Merchant is "big enough to cope, small enough to care"
* Room absolutely immaculate - fantastically comfortable bedding and very thoughtful extras
* 10/10 nod to eco friendliness
* 10/10 Night porter
* 10/10 Breakfast
The Merchant has got the perfect balance of being "personal" without any false over-friendliness, "accommodating" without being overbearing and thoroughly "professional" without being stuffy or judgemental.
In summary - Great location close to Truro centre, immaculate room, accommodating staff and on-site parking.
I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever in recommending Merchant House to others.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo

Dear Hazel,
Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay with us and I do hope your family member is feeling better.
I am delighted to hear that you received the Teams traditional helpful and friendly service from booking and throughout your stay, and that you feel we give the perfect balance of personal and professional service.
I am pleased to hear that you made use of our free on-site parking and found the Hotel to be in a great location and the rooms to be clean and comfortable.
I will be sure to pass your feedback onto the staff who will be delighted with your lovely comments, I do hope to welcome you back for another stay with us when you next visit Truro.
Kind Regards
Nicky Whittaker- Owner

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed in room eight at this hotel. It was advertised as cosy, which it was, however the room large enough and comfortable. It is best to ring the hotel directly to place a booking, breakfast is incorporated in that price. Whereas using a booking company it's not.
The hotel is clean and the staff are very friendly. It's in good location, ten minute walk down hill into Truro main town. I look forward to returning.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Dawn,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our Cosy Double rooms and that you found it to be both large and comfortable. As you mentioned if you book with us direct you get breakfast included and I am so glad you managed to take advantage of our delicious freshly-cooked Full English breakfast and Continental Buffet.

I’m very pleased that you found the hotel to be clean, the staff to be friendly and the hotel itself to be in a great location. I will pass on your kind comments to the rest of the team and I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the Merchant House in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Outstanding stay.outatanding people. The guys at the Merchant make you feel like your part of the family from the get go. Each day starts off with smile with the full English to the victoria sponge afternoon tea. Nothing is to much for these guys.Stuart ,Steph, Stephie, Morgan thanks for making our time in Truro special!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Ryan M
Nicky M, Owner at Merchant House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Dear Ryan,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments following your stay with us. We pride ourselves at the Merchant House on making our guests feel right at home, so I am delighted you had an outstanding stay with us and felt part of the family.

I am so happy that you enjoyed our freshly-cooked Full English breakfast and Continental buffet and that you took advantage of our free delicious homemade Victoria sponge! I will pass on your kind comments to the team, it is always lovely for them to receive such positive feedback.

I hope to see you again for your next visit to Truro.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Great location for short walk into Truro but would recommend taxi back. Free parking a great added bonus for a central city location. The room was modern & comfortable. The staff friendly & welcoming. Great value for money. Recommend you book with them direct as you get breakfast included in the room rate.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nickerynook

Dear nickerynook,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a lovely review. I’m glad you found our centrally-located hotel to represent great value for money and that you made use of our generous on-site parking. We are very fortunate to have plenty of parking in the centre of Truro and are more than happy to provide this to our guests for free!

I’m glad you managed to book with us direct because as you mentioned, you get our freshly-cooked Full English breakfast and Continental buffet included in your room rate. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team who will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope I get the chance to welcome you back to the Merchant House on your next visit.

Kind Regards,