“Enjoyable meal, friendly service”

Old Rectory Hotel Restaurant
Price range: USD 7 - USD 26
Description: The Old Rectory Hotel is fully open to non-residents and provides informal bistro style dining in our bar area or more formal in our conservatory restaurant with views over our own golf course and a Black Mountain backdrop.
Reviewed 30 November 2017

While staying at the Old Rectory Hotel, I decided to have dinner there. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. I had the Lamp Rump which was very nice and served with some interesting and tasty accompaniments, washed down with a nice pint or two of draught Butty Bach. I ate in the dining area in the bar, rather than in the restaurant area through the back, though I believe the menu is the same in either. The service was friendly and unpretentious; I felt comfortable dining there on my own. I also had the full breakfast there, which was above average. I would recommend this as a place to eat if you are staying at the hotel, or even if you're not - I'd expect its as good or better than the other options in Crickhowell.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We have been to the Old Rectory several times in the last couple of years while on holiday in the region. The menu has a good range of dishes and wines. The food is always of a high standard and the staff are friendly. They are happy to accept dogs while dining in the bar area.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Excellent food at the Old Rectory Hotel and I couldn’t believe the prices- very reasonable indeed. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 26 September 2017

The food here is excellent, but the visit ws let down by the atmosphere and front of end staff. We arrived early in the evening and were directed to a large conservatory type annex that had no atmosphere at all, could do with some plants in there or something to make it more customer friendly. The meal was outstanding well cooked and presented. That is why it gets 3 stars. After the main course was finished we sat and waited and waited, to order desert, but nobody came near us so went to the bar paid and left, what a shame. During our meal nobody came to check if everything was ok. Second visit there and went because we thought it might have improved. Will not return a third time.

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

We dined at the Old Rectory twice while spending a week on a narrowboat on the canal and mooring here overnight. Our first meal was five stars and the second meal three stars. My husband ordered fish and chips, which came with the best mushy peas either so us has tasted. We asked their secret, but they weren't giving it away! I ordered plaice with buttered potatoes and leeks. It was so tasty that I ordered it again on the second visit. It was still good, but presentation and seasoning were both different, and a diced tomato addition detracted rather than added to flavor. Still good, just not as exceptional. We split a sticky toffee pudding with warm custard sauce, which was divine! The dessert menu had been overhauled by our return, and our cherry frangiapane tart missed the mark. They were out of blackcurrent sorbet and substituted vanilla ice cream, so all in all that dish was a disappointment. All I can see is, bring back the sticky toffee pudding! On a pus, the waitstaff was extremely friendly and helpful both times. Nice service! We'd go back.