All reviewsgolf coursejacuzzi bathon arrivalhoneymoon suitewalk in showerwedding venueevening mealbeautiful hotelbooked this hotelone night stayfamily roomsteakbrecon beaconsstandard roomwedding breakfastno liftfull welsh breakfast
Reviewed 24 April 2018

Firstly, the staff are lovely, very helpful.

However, the room we stayed in - which was classed as a small double - was VERY small, and, only suitable for single occupancy in my opinion - as the only way to get into bed (on one side) was to have your back to the wall and shuffle along (there was not room to walk normally down one side of the bed).

The shower pressure was intermittent, just a dribble or barely ok (just).

The real reason for writing this review is that I had such a bad night's sleep I feel it is only fair to mention why to other readers. We were in a ground floor room, and unfortunately, as the sound insulation between rooms and especially from the floor above is pretty much non-existent - we could hear everything (people talking etc!) - from the next door room, and also from the room above (creaking floorboards, occupants talking, wandering around their room - unfortunately the upstairs guests were still crashing around at 1:30 in the morning, up several times during what was left of the night, and then up around 6am - hence my worst night's sleep ever in a hotel.

I could not recommend a small double room on the ground floor for the above reasons - hence my rating of Poor.

On the plus side - the building is nice to look at, and the views from the back of the property are simply stunning!

Room Tip: Don't book a small double on ground floor - they are VERY small and suffer badly with noise from other guests both to the side and above.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Solange888
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Took the extended family out for Sunday lunch. The place looks a bit tired and could really do with a bit of a face lift as it seems to be stuck in the 90’s. However, we probably had one of the best Sunday lunches which was quite unexpected as the place was really quite empty.

Everything was homemade and plenty of it. Veggies cooked to perfection and very tasty gravy and plenty of it. Only one very minor criticism was I do love a bit of stuffing on my roast dinner, but that’s just me personal preference. This place has so much potential, if a bit of money was invested in bringing it up to date.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

On arrival we’d found a used cup of tea, just one set of towels and no shower (this is a honeymoon suite apparently).

The building is so noisy right through-out the day. The cleaners have their lunch break at the bottom of our stairs because the establishment don’t provide them with a canteen.

The WiFi is non-existent.

At £150 for the room, you expect a lot more. There was a sky box in the room but they don’t pay for Sky you only get free view. The kettle & cups had no table, they were left on the floor?! There was an extension lead going under the bed, it was just not what you expect when you’re being charged that much. If we had been on our honeymoon we would have been so so disappointed & ripped off.

During breakfast service, the service just wasn’t there. We arrived at 9:20, all of the tables had dirty used plates on them so we made up our own table from cutlery and cups that were un-used from previous guests. The breakfasts seriously need reviewing by the management. When we left not one table had been tidied up still.

We were advised the room was £115 on booking but during checkout we were asked for £150 which we disputed. We noticed a “4 in a bed Winner” plaque at the front desk. If we had a to fill an amount we felt was necessary, the owners would be in for a surprise. There is huge potential in this property but it is in dire need of attention.

We absolutely loved the ceremony, the wedding venue, the building from the outside (although it was extremely warm through-out) and the area around it which is why we’re giving a 2 star rating.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank Sam L
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

A lovely friendly establishment beautiful scenery and walking distance to Crickhowell. Room was superb staff go above and beyond to be helpful. Food was gorgeous would definately visit again. Dog friendly

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

This was a stop en route to somewhere after a busy week. My stay here was randomly selected due to the convenient location and the fact they allow dogs, and what a fab choice that was. I had the most wonderful stay; from start to finish the staff made my dog and I feel welcome, I enjoyed a few drinks at the bar and ended up in a fabulous room with a great shower and bath. They have weddings almost every weekend, are based on a golf course and have a marquee and event room. It isn’t perfectly shiny and modern edged, but they made me feel right at home.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo