“Very poor service”

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Thai cuisine
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

Ordered the Dim Sum combo starters and when it arrived it was cold and tasted rancid. I called the waiter and he took it back. After a long wait he returned with the same (yes, not a replacement) dish and it was still cold. I asked for the Manager (Derek) and all he could tell me was that they receive the food frozen (they don't prepare it) and they just heat it up! Really disappointed.

Date of visit: November 2016
2  Thank Bungane

Reviewed 26 October 2016

This was a love story that ended in tragedy, in two acts.

It was our host’s birthday and she invited us to her favourite restaurant since she had received an offer of R50 off on her special day as a loyalty card holder.

Act One

I took a special bottle of red wine from my cellar and we were greeted warmly by our waiter on arrival. Our host reminded him that it was her birthday and had come to celebrate with her discount offer.

The menu is extensive and, as a lover of Thai food, having visited the country several times, we took a while before choosing. I decided on something completely different to anything I had ordered on many previous visits to this outlet. My kids love the place too. My host chose the same dish and our partners each picked something different. The food arrived hot and quickly. All four meals were outstanding. The beverage service had been prompt and we spent a very pleasant couple of hours catching up after a long trip away. We ended with coffees and Dom Pedros, commenting how we needed to bring some close friends to this venue as it had been a special evening - and then called for the bill.

Act Two

My host forgot her glasses and asked me to check the bill. I added a generous tip, deducted the R50 offer and drew the attention of the waiter to the calculation written on the till slip. He processed the credit card and the host signed it. A few minutes later she noticed that the amount charged to the card excluded the discount. She called the waiter who apologised, took her loyalty card and agreed to sort it out. After a long wait, he returned and said that the table had been closed and he was unable now to reopen it to deduct the discount. We chased him away and called for the manager, Derek. After another long pause, he came to the table clutching the slip that showed the calculation clearly and, while admitting that this was their fault, claimed again that there was nothing he could do. We chased him away too and suggested that he should not make his problem our problem. The host added that she would not have booked there on this occasion, but for the offer.

More than 30 minutes elapsed and we could see a group of waiters all remonstrating with the manager, but with no action, before another waiter came out and repeated the sad story. At this point the host strode into the main restaurant and an angry exchange took place over his approach. The original waiter pulled R50 out of his pocket and offered it to our host. She declined to accept it and we left. At no point was any possible solution offered, other than you can come again and we’ll honour the offer. We would have considered an increased offer, a round of drinks (had it been offered right up front) or a free main course sometime in the future, but the attitude of the manager was evasive and uncompromising.

The result. We have both lost. This was an eatery on our A list. Neither couple will return to it on principle, not because of the amount involved. And they have lost four loyal, regular patrons because they spoiled a very special occasion with incredible insensitivity.

2  Thank Ratfink
Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

For a quick Asian meal at a fair price, this ticked all the boxes got me. Quick and good service. Enjoyable

2  Thank JonathanC67
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

I've been going to Simply Asia at Hobart Grove for about 2 years now and they never disappoint. Delicious fresh thai food and refreshing cocktails that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Service is great and the food arrives quite quickly so be sure to pace yourself if you're having more than one course. Would definitely recommend any day of the week.

2  Thank Mary-Anne K
Reviewed 25 August 2016

We try for a family dinner once a week. No been to one of this chain before. Was very busy but were found a table wth a very friendly welcome. Service very attentive. Helpful guidance on menu and options. Some very interesting options. Food was delivered piping hot and extremely tasty. Good value. Wine prices also very reasonable. Will return.

Date of visit: August 2016