“Where is the chef?” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Grundhof
Stockholm, Sweden
“Where is the chef?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel about 10 years ago, a beautiful place, clean and very stylish decorated. A problem showed up after I ordered a normal menu of salmon fish. Apparently the chef was not able at all to do his job as it was a terrible experience. I complained about this and got a second table which was even worse. Finally I ordered a coffee with a cognac. Believe it or not but the hired (temporary?) server did not even understand French or English. I had to grab the bottle myself ... It was a total disaster and back in Sweden, where I live, I compared this hotel with the famous John Cleese "Fawlty Tower" sketches.

Anyway, I returned to this place 3 years later, where everything was normal . probably the original chef was back in town and I had nothing to complain of.

Now, this year in september 2011 I returned with my wife hoping that all would be fine. To my great horror the chef must have been totally out of his mind when serving my wife a so-called exotic salad. The air was filled with a disgusting stink of vinegar and even outdated olive oil. My wife almost spewed and even I could not keep myself in place. We complained and my wife got a second try which was the same or even worse.
Old olive oil, to much vinegar and a cold piece of chicken. Absolutely disgusting!

Ordering a Cappuccino resulted in a black coffee, not anything like a fresh cappuccino or espresso..

I've seen good reviews on the chefs capabilities at this hotel on other I-net site. But this story is not made up. The chef is a disaster at this place and should not have a license to work in any kitchen.

signed:

5 Thank SM0FLY_11

Solo
Provence
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2007

This hotel is very handy for exploring the Moselle valley.

First, rather gloomy, impressions can be deceptive. The young chef and owner was in charge at the desk and showed us to a spacious, comfortable room with one of the largest bathrooms we have ever seen.

The room was fairly quiet although it faces a busy road. In summer traffic noise could be disturbing.

The dining-room was very 'girly' in style, supervised by a lovely sommelier and the chef in person. We declined the tasting menu as being too copious, but the a la carte was full of local / seasonal produce. This chef is passionate about his food and his country. We had an excellent dinner.

Breakfast was fantastic, with home-made (by chef) bread and jams.

L'Ernz Noire was excellent value for money, we will return.

• Liked — Lots of room, excellent food
  • Disliked — Possible traffic noise especially in summer
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Adam B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grundhof
Trail-Inn Natur & Sporthotel
3.0 km away
Hotel Le Bisdorff
Hotel Le Bisdorff
#5 of 5 in Berdorf

Been to L'Ernz Noire? Share your experiences!