All reviews tasmanian walking company overland track six days hot shower tasmanian wilderness drying room mt ossa cradle mountain side trips great walk great outdoors hiking boots glass of vino welcome sight walking holiday every evening recommend this trip
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Good food, hot showers, comfortable beds, good company and very experienced guides.
We've hiked many places and this trip ranks among our best. Day's #1 (some handholds and scrambling) and 3 (steep with brush) are the longest, particularly if you do the "Adventure" option with the mountain climb side trips. We recommend that to those that want the added challenge. Our group of 12 clients were all very experienced. So no issues.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having sampled a few walks in Tasmania, my wife and I had the Overland Track on our bucket list. Being in our 50s, we wanted to walk in a guided group, enjoy some creature comforts and have plenty of time to take photos, so we decided on the Cradle Mountain Huts/Tas Walking Company guided tour.

Their Signature itinerary does not include Cradle Mountain (which we have climbed previously) but does include an optional side trip to Mt Ossa (which we haven’t climbed), so it was perfect for us.

We were picked up from our hotel on-time on the first day and transferred to Quamby Estate to pack our gear, get briefed, etc, then transferred to Waldheim (near Cradle Mountain) to start our trek.

The huts we stayed in each night were clean, comfortable and well appointed. All except Kia Ora were two-storey with four twin bedrooms upstairs and two downstairs. Kia Ora is single storey with four internal bedrooms and two outside self-contained bedrooms.

The meals were pretty amazing with great wine available each night (even a couple of beers on the last night). The freshly baked bread each day was an unexpected indulgence.

Needless to say, the walk itself through Cradle Mountain – Lake St Clair National Park was beautiful in its diversity, covering button grass moors to temperate rainforests.

Our guides, Sanjay and Daniel, were friendly, knowledgeable and very experienced. Sanjay has guided on this trek about 30 times so was a full bottle on every aspect. They both had a great sense of humour and nothing was too much trouble.

We also had a great group of trekkers who we got to know pretty well and have kept in touch with.

The whole experience was first-rate. I would highly recommend the Overland Track with Cradle Mountain Huts/Tas Walking Company.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve done this trek with Cradle Huts/Tasmanian walking company three times over the past twenty years. I chose it because it meant I didn’t have to carry food and camping equipment for a week (as I have a dodgy back) and originally because I was travelling alone .This time I cajoled my husband ( who normally shys away from groups ) to join me. I like to take my time walking and love photography which slows me down further so I was concerned that I’d feel under pressure from the group and guides to walk faster . I hate holding people up. The guides ‘ managed me’ beautifully .Behind the scenes they might have felt differently but infront of me they made it clear that I wasn’t holding them up at all ..this allowed me to enjoy a most fabulous trip. The guides were super professional , very friendly and enthusiastic about the trek and knowledgable about the plants ,forests and about Tasmanian and global issues. I honesty cannot fault them or the accommodation or food or the walk generally in any way. It was totally magnificent !
The huts are discreetly hidden away along small unmarked tracks and usually perched with a beautiful view to gaze at . I loved lying on the decking after the walk with the forests and mountains all around and a cup of tea at my side watching and feeling the evening descend over the landscape. All the while inside the guides are busy preparing a delicious meal. I was thoroughly spoilt.
The Overland trek is truly gorgeous and hence popular .However it didn’t seem busy even though my trip was in the high season of January. It was peaceful and stunningly beautiful. Because people all walk the track in the same direction , you don’t feel it’s popularity. We went on to walk in the Walls of Jerusalem national park afterwards for three days and this seemed substantially busier because you are always crossing people going the other way.
The combination of true mountain walking yet not too strenuous ,a long distance walk passing through so many changing landscapes with different towering dolerite peaks overlooking you every day , with flora to make you gasp with delight at every turn and all the time knowing I have a comfortable warm beautiful hut to enjoy every evening meant we both enjoyed a most perfect holiday. Special touches like the guides brewing up tea for lunch and bringing out cake or cheese and biscuits and apperitifs on our arrival were much appreciated. Other special touches included the good library of fiction and non fiction in every hut with books marked if they are in each hut along the way so you could start a novel knowing you’d be able to continue reading it over the next few days . Ingenious!
I slept solidly on comfortable mattresses and was able to wash clothes in the evening knowing they’d be dry by the next day as the fire was always lit .
I could go on and on .. just suffice to say a huge thank you . We only wish there was a similar system in the UK and Europe where we live. It’s a long way for us to travel to Tasmania to enjoy such a walking holiday but it’s always worth it . I’d love to walk a long distance footpath in the Tarkine ancient forests and also walk the South west coastal footpath but without your type of hut system ,I don’t know how I can. Let me know if you get something up and running .. I trust yr company completely to do a good job of it.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
taswalkingco, Director of Sales at Cradle Mountain Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi janeB5054NC,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review and for walking with us on the Overland Track three times! It is great to read that you managed to enjoy your photography without feeling rushed. Our guides are an amazing bunch of people who work really hard to ensure everyone has the best possible time out on the track and are able to focus on their specific interests.
I hope you are able to travel back to Tassie for some more walking adventures at some point but understand it is a long way for you to travel.
All the best,
Ros

Reviewed 16 January 2019

If you want to experience the Overland Track and feel like a Rock Star then get on the Cradle Mountain Huts train. Light Packs, Great Accommodation, Fantastic food, Professional with a capital P Guides, and a wilderness like none before. Easily one of the top 10 walks on the planet!

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed 9 January 2019

The accommodations on this 6-day guided hike of the Overland Track exceeded my expectations. The huts were warm, roomy, comfortable, and quiet (you did not hear much noise from the other rooms). We had warm showers every evening (on a 5 minute timer) and were able to hand-wash necessary clothes, which helped keep our backpack weight to a minimum. The food served was excellent.

Room tip: No room choice - the tour group members need to decide among themselves who will sleep where
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
taswalkingco, Director of Sales at Cradle Mountain Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2019

Hi librarypetal,
Thanks so much for your lovely review on your Cradle Mountain Huts Walk. I am really pleased you had a good time and enjoyed the extra facilities provided in the huts. Hope to see you back in Tassie at some point.
Cheers, Ros