All reviews tasmanian walking company overland track six days hot shower tasmanian wilderness drying room mt ossa cradle mountain side trips great walk great outdoors hiking boots glass of vino welcome sight walking holiday every evening recommend this trip
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve done this trek with Cradle Huts/Tasmanian walking company three times over the past twenty years. I chose it because it meant I didn’t have to carry food and camping equipment for a week (as I have a dodgy back) and originally because I was travelling alone .This time I cajoled my husband ( who normally shys away from groups ) to join me. I like to take my time walking and love photography which slows me down further so I was concerned that I’d feel under pressure from the group and guides to walk faster . I hate holding people up. The guides ‘ managed me’ beautifully .Behind the scenes they might have felt differently but infront of me they made it clear that I wasn’t holding them up at all ..this allowed me to enjoy a most fabulous trip. The guides were super professional , very friendly and enthusiastic about the trek and knowledgable about the plants ,forests and about Tasmanian and global issues. I honesty cannot fault them or the accommodation or food or the walk generally in any way. It was totally magnificent !
The huts are discreetly hidden away along small unmarked tracks and usually perched with a beautiful view to gaze at . I loved lying on the decking after the walk with the forests and mountains all around and a cup of tea at my side watching and feeling the evening descend over the landscape. All the while inside the guides are busy preparing a delicious meal. I was thoroughly spoilt.
The Overland trek is truly gorgeous and hence popular .However it didn’t seem busy even though my trip was in the high season of January. It was peaceful and stunningly beautiful. Because people all walk the track in the same direction , you don’t feel it’s popularity. We went on to walk in the Walls of Jerusalem national park afterwards for three days and this seemed substantially busier because you are always crossing people going the other way.
The combination of true mountain walking yet not too strenuous ,a long distance walk passing through so many changing landscapes with different towering dolerite peaks overlooking you every day , with flora to make you gasp with delight at every turn and all the time knowing I have a comfortable warm beautiful hut to enjoy every evening meant we both enjoyed a most perfect holiday. Special touches like the guides brewing up tea for lunch and bringing out cake or cheese and biscuits and apperitifs on our arrival were much appreciated. Other special touches included the good library of fiction and non fiction in every hut with books marked if they are in each hut along the way so you could start a novel knowing you’d be able to continue reading it over the next few days . Ingenious!
I slept solidly on comfortable mattresses and was able to wash clothes in the evening knowing they’d be dry by the next day as the fire was always lit .
I could go on and on .. just suffice to say a huge thank you . We only wish there was a similar system in the UK and Europe where we live. It’s a long way for us to travel to Tasmania to enjoy such a walking holiday but it’s always worth it . I’d love to walk a long distance footpath in the Tarkine ancient forests and also walk the South west coastal footpath but without your type of hut system ,I don’t know how I can. Let me know if you get something up and running .. I trust yr company completely to do a good job of it.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
taswalkingco, Director of Sales at Cradle Mountain Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi janeB5054NC,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review and for walking with us on the Overland Track three times! It is great to read that you managed to enjoy your photography without feeling rushed. Our guides are an amazing bunch of people who work really hard to ensure everyone has the best possible time out on the track and are able to focus on their specific interests.
I hope you are able to travel back to Tassie for some more walking adventures at some point but understand it is a long way for you to travel.
All the best,
Ros

Reviewed 16 January 2019

If you want to experience the Overland Track and feel like a Rock Star then get on the Cradle Mountain Huts train. Light Packs, Great Accommodation, Fantastic food, Professional with a capital P Guides, and a wilderness like none before. Easily one of the top 10 walks on the planet!

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed 9 January 2019

The accommodations on this 6-day guided hike of the Overland Track exceeded my expectations. The huts were warm, roomy, comfortable, and quiet (you did not hear much noise from the other rooms). We had warm showers every evening (on a 5 minute timer) and were able to hand-wash necessary clothes, which helped keep our backpack weight to a minimum. The food served was excellent.

Room tip: No room choice - the tour group members need to decide among themselves who will sleep where
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
taswalkingco, Director of Sales at Cradle Mountain Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2019

Hi librarypetal,
Thanks so much for your lovely review on your Cradle Mountain Huts Walk. I am really pleased you had a good time and enjoyed the extra facilities provided in the huts. Hope to see you back in Tassie at some point.
Cheers, Ros

Reviewed 2 December 2018

At the end of the trip, I said to my partner, I am going to review this trip, which rating you would give. He said let's write down a number and exchange. Thirty seconds, without surprise, both of us gave the cradle mountain huts walk 5/5.

The Overland track in the cradle mountain - Lake St Clair national park itself is an iconic 6-day hiking track. During the six days, hikers can see mountains, alpine environment plateaus, waterfalls and vivid plants. Visitors also have opportunities to climb mountains of their choices and to greet by native animals such as wallabies, wombats, possums, birds and even tiger snakes. While it is an exciting track, it is located so remotely and nearly unbreakable in the middle that hikers normally finish it by either camping or try their luck to use the public huts for six days. They need to bring all the equipment and foods (that means at least 10-18kg of backpacks), no showers, deal with leeches and other wounds and changeable weathers. Although I wanted to do the Overland track for almost 3 years and I am reasonably fit, I was still hesitated to step out of my comfort zone and decided to finish it.

Luckily, we found the Tasmania Walking Co. The Cradle Mountain Hut walk was epic. This is the only commercial company that owns private huts along the Overland Track and those private huts are amazing. They are not luxury resort or hotel but add priceless comfort to this 6-day walk. Everyone can enjoy a 5 min hot shower after the whole day walk, dry their clothes in the dryer room (yes there is a lot of rain/snow in the cradle mountain so this becomes super important), a cooked two-course meal for dinner, afternoon tea, handmade fresh bread and fresh veggies (not to mention those veggies were brought in by guides for each trip) for lunch with a hot drink every day and a super formal continental breakfast with all the supreme local produced jams, leatherwood honeys and yogurts. Also, wine were served every day after the walk. Those wines were from renowned wine markers in Tamar Valley area (next to Launceston). This 6-days trip is not all about finishing the Overland Track and its also about experienced the first class Tasmania local products.

Our guides, N and D, were so knowledgeable for the Overland track. They provided so many interesting stories along the overland track and also educated the whole team about the importance of walking on the formed track to protect the alpine plants (because one steps can make them die and they grow super slow like hundreds of years). They also look after us well. Each hut has a very comprehensive first aid box and something called wonder wool to prevent or heal blisters. With two guides help, everyone in my group, age ranged from 14 to 60, completed the track (won't say it is easy, still with sore arm and leg but no significant pain). Two guides are also excellent at cooking. I know it sounds weird, but our meals were all cooked by two guides and those are delicious and at semi-fine dining level!

Don't worry about the walking pace, two guides usually split the group into two, with the fast-paced walker and slower-paced walker, and regroup the two at designated conjunctions. They are very experienced hiking leaders and try to make everyone feel comfortable.

The gear list sent to us before the trip was more than enough when you go during the summer period. the temperature was quite high and I didn't use half of them. Gaiter and a good pair of hiking boots is a must! The Overland track is very muddy and rocky with a lot of bushy parts. If you are not that good at walking on an uneven surface for continuously 3-4 hours a day, get a pair of hiking poles. This is my first time using hiking poles and it really helps me a lot (best hiking investment ever).

Last but not least, all the huts have no phone signal or internet. The only phone signal spot for the whole the Overland Trip is at the top of the Mt. Ossa, which takes a bit of effort to climb up :P (I gave up the climbing at half way). So make sure you download all the apps you need (such as stargazing app), e-books and tell everyone you will disappear for six days. Also, every hut has torches for ppl who want do a night animal spotting trips so you can save that weight!

Tasmania Walking Co offered us a memorable trip, this is my first time finishing 6-day tracks and gave me confidence for the next one.

Room tip: all the huts have the same design except the kia ora hut. The right-hand side first room has a spectacular view. pick that room if possible
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tastingthecloud
Reviewed 25 November 2018

The overland track is a fantastic walk and the guided, private hut approach makes it comfortable for most walkers. Our guides were also great and really went out of their way to make it a special experience for everyone.However there were two or three issues which could have been done a lot better, which would have improved the experience. First is the food; while there is plenty on offer it has a high carbohydrate, high sugar focus. There is an absence of protein and fresh food. While this may be fine if you are in your 20's, if you are older and use to a low carb diet it comes as a shock, a number of walkers complained about being bloated especially after dinner. Another issue was the rush in the morning of the first day, which is the longest and most difficult walking day.Trying to sort out packs and gear on the first morning doesn't work well, ultimately you rush out because you are so keen to get to the track. The company should do the packs and gear check the night before when you have plenty of time (some women with smaller frames found the standard pack size too big but didn't have time to do anything about it), that would give you an extra hour or so on the first walking day which would make a big difference.
Apart from these issues it is a great walk and don't be put off.

Date of stay: November 2018