The Langton Arms
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Crown Hotel(Blandford Forum)
  • Restaurant
Good 3.5/5
The Saxon Inn(Child Okeford)
Great 4.5/5
The Fiddleford Inn(Sturminster Newton)
Good 3.5/5
The Grosvenor Arms(Shaftesbury)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsthe pubsteak piescotch eggfaggotspretty villagehomemade breadpicturesque villagewedding venuedorset countrysideskittle alleymashblandford forumsunday lunchbooked a tablefunction roomamuse bouchelarge bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This is a strange place. It's recently been voted Dorset DINING Pub of the Year so as we were driving through that area tonight on the way home we thought we'd look in. It's a beautiful village and the pub has an enviable setting next to the Church - or is that it's undoing? There was a wedding going on in the dining room (completely separate from the bar) and the staff in the bar seemed somewhat chilled out. That's my polite way of saying totally disinterested. We bought drinks and some nuts (no welcome, no chat, 'are you eating with us tonight?') just money changing hands in a place that should have been great but which lacked any atmosphere or sense of ownership.

We sat outside which gave us time to clock the menu (nice(ish) but also the unwatered flower pots, the empty dog bowl and cigarette butts strewn underfoot. But the nuts were the clincher. They were rancid. Not slightly stale, not the wrong flavour, just common or garden rancid which can happen in the best run establishments. My partner took them back to the bar. The strong silent Rav Wilding look-a-like bar man said 'sorry' and swept the nuts under the counter. They were replaced by a packet of plain crisps at our expense - £0.70p and Mr. Beefcake went back to talking to the other man behind the bar with the incipient bar man's stomach.

You get the picture - they couldn't have been less bothered. We did ask if they sold matches so that my partner could have a cigarette in the car but they said they didn't.

We moved on to another, rather more upmarket hostelry, where we were made hugely welcome, leant a box of matches from the kitchen and spebnt £82 on a splendid meal.

It is a mystery to me how places like The Langton can function and get awards from a well regarded guide. I have been using The GOOD Pub Guide for 30 years and this is the first time it's get me wrong.

And, yes, before anyone asks, I will be asking the pub to refund the price of the nuts!

Room Tip: Choose somebody nice to go with because the staff will not be your new best friends!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank penny s
thelangtonarms, Owner at The Langton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Firstly I would like to offer my sincerest apologies. I have spoken to the staff you mentioned and given them stern warnings about their behaviour yesterday. Having run the Langton Arms now for over twenty years, I have always strived to make my customers feel welcome and at home in our establishment, actively encouraging my staff to behave professionally giving a high level of customer service.

With regards to the peanuts; all our peanuts we sell are well within their sell-by date. So on this occasion there is nothing I can do other than apologise on behalf of the peanut manufacturing company - you surely had a faulty packet, as we have never received similar comments about them before. What I do ask of you however is that you don't judge the quality of our food from those 'rancid' peanuts you purchased. If you would like a refund of 0.75p, please email me your address and we will send the money to you.

On to our gardens - we do try very hard to upkeep and maintain our grounds, cleaning them every morning throughout the year. Unfortunately during our busy weekends with weddings, as well as the general public, the littering of our gardens does increase. With the glorious weather we had yesterday, there was a continuous flow of people eating in our garden throughout the day. No doubt you can understand that with the poor summer weather we have had this year, our flowers haven't prospered as much as in previous years, however I
can tell you that we water them every day in the morning.

I have been running The Langton Arms for the last 20 years and feel proud to own a country pub that has been in the same hands for all these years when many other local hostelries has changed ownership four or five times. I am very proud to host customers lovely weddings and functions as they are an important part of our business and the reason why we are still here and many others are not! Proprietor Barbara Cossins

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed here for two nights while in Dorset on business, very friendly greeting on arrival followed by a very quick, efficient check in.
The room are bungalow/chalet style set a little way from the pub/restaurant, they are large, with an entrance lobby, very big bathroom and spacious bedroom.
The Langton Arms is in an idyllic setting and as such is very peaceful to go back to when you want to relax after work.
Breakfast was freshly cooked and very tasty and the dinner was one of the best hotel meals I have eaten double baked cheese souffle...excellent.
The bar area was comfortable and very welcoming and service from staff was very good.
Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank theknightsthatgonee
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We booked for my friends birthday , the menu choice was varied,It was a hard choice,but I went for the green Thai chicken well presented and very yummy... Great real ale and the staff could not do enough for us..a great place to go !! Overall a fab birthday night out .

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Jane C
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I've stayed here a number of times over the past 5 years and really do look forward to comming back. The setting is perfect, the food is great (fresh and innovative), rooms excellent and the service is impeccable. Adding all of this together you can understand why so many people return again and again. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Tim B
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The Langton Arms is somewhat off the beaten track, but is definitely worth the detour. My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights whilst touring Dorset and it certainly didn't disappoint. Rooms were comfortable and spacious, breakfast was excellent, evening meals (both bar and resturant) were really high quality and all the staff friendly and efficient.

With so many good country pubs in the area I'm really glad we chose this one and will look for an excuse to return before too long!

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms included spacious bedroom, bathroom and vestibule and use of outdoor furniture.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple