“O m g married to a Kenyan woman she sai to to see ruined city”

Jumba Ruins Monsoons
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Mtwapa
Price range: USD 20 - USD 40
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Monsoons restaurant stand on an empty pristine beach with views out to sea or back towards the beauty of the Jumba ruins and botanical park themselves. The restaurant offers a delightful range of fresh seafood as well as Italian pasta dishes. It is a place where you want to spend the day with friends, drinking in the views with a glass of wine and a dressed crab or two. An incredible haven only seconds from the chaos of the beaches closer to Mombasa,a wonderful place for families,couples and special occasions Monsoons is to be savored, not rushed.
Reviewed 28 January 2017

Then I saw the beach white clean sand beautiful beach and a little restaurant two out side tables and four fantastic sun lounger. We sat out side under a beautiful umbrellas made of straw. The waitress was discrete but amazing and efficient and very attentive to all our requirements the rest room whilst unisex was clean and very well equipped we had not intended to eat but such maws the service we felt compelled to sample the food. I don't do fish. So steak was order or the day o m g still in heaven and readable as well at 1300kshs so the owner is on site so I guess that adds to the reason for amazing food and outstanding service us British have lot to learn about good food at restaurants at reasonable prices. Julian

Reviewed 16 January 2017

Man, I've loved his place both times I've been here, years apart. Lovely location in the haunting Swahili ruins, nice beach, and exactly the kind of host you hope for: intersting, friendly unpretentious. Just wonderful. Blow your budget (because you won't be ripped off and you'll get value for every luxurious shilling you spend) and take what they have that s fresh and recommended.

1  Thank Matthew G
Reviewed 31 December 2016

My sister, niece and I spent the day at Monsoons when we were stranded in Mombasa waiting for my husband (who was dealing with security issues at our rural health centre) to take us to Malindi for a luxury few nights break (July 2011). I was living and working in rural Kisiiland at the time. My husband looked at trip advisor and told us to phone Jumba Monsoons to pick us up from our "local" hotel in Mombasa in their own secure taxi. Probably the best advice he has ever given! The Monsoons taxi faithfully picked us up and brought us to the restaurant. You walk through the atmospheric ruins to get to it. We had hardly sat down (11am) when a bottle of blue prosecco was delivered to our table - compliments of Atillo. If you ever read this Atillo, where do you get it? We have searched the internet for it without success. That bubbly in our glasses in such an idyllic setting was just lovely. Nevertheless it took the three of us a little while to "down" the prosecco at this time of day. Everything was very relaxed with no hurrying. We ordered our lunch and more drinks. Italian music drifted to our table on the gentle sea breeze. My niece had the most amazing seafood platter - beautifully cooked and beautifully presented and my sister and I had a very tasty fish dish. After lunch, we walked along the beautiful "private" beach and then came back to our table for more drinks. At this point Atillo himself joined us. He regaled us with personal stories of his many, exciting experiences as the wine flowed. Ask him to tell you about the Russian with his briefcase full of money and his armed security guards who visited the restaurant one day. We swapped the stories of our lives. Atillo's wife then joined us. We ordered drinks for our host (tuskers) and hostess (which NEVER appeared on our bill!! Looking back, I think a lot of what we ordered didn't appear on our bill. This was not a "tourist" experience. It was one of those unique lifetime experiences that will stay in your memory. It was midweek when we visited and the restaurant was very quiet - hence our memorable private and personal entertainment by the owner. Well done Atillo. We think of you still!

1  Thank Elizakwamboka
Reviewed 15 December 2016

Gone to this restaurant on a Sunday and was amazing, the food excellent, you can really taste the freshness of the seafood and we saw several fishermen bringing their catch while we were there.
The restaurant was full but the kitchen and the service worked very well, we were also offered a complementary limoncello after a fantastic tiramisu.
The place is right by the sea, a place to spend a lovely relaxing afternoon.

1  Thank 93rosy
Reviewed 14 December 2016

The restaurant was recommended by a good friend and everything was up to expectations, the food the ambiance, the service and the setting, was the best way to start our Christmas holidays at the Coast.
The seafood, jumbo prawns, was delicious and also the fillet steak with balsamic vinegar that my girlfriend ordered since she is not a seafood lover as many of us Nairobians.
We will be back Sunday, we already book since we have been told that on Sunday the restaurant is very busy.