“What a lovely Sunday afternoon visit”

The Old Green Dragon
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Oxton
Price range: USD 3 - USD 19
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: CAMRA Village Pub of the Year 2018 - located in the centre of the beautiful Oxton Estate in Nottinghamshire. With a wide range of cask beers, lagers and wines. Current beers and lagers - Timothy Taylor’s Landlord, Peroni, San Miguel, Mansfield Smooth, East Coast IPA, Guinness, Fosters, Thatchers Cider and regularly changing LocAles along with many other guest beers including Oakham, Black Iris, Blue Monkey, Shipstones, Totally Brewed, Maypole, Dukeries, Pheasantry, Pentrich, Neepsend and up to 6 cask still ciders always available. Quality fresh food at "pub prices" prepared by chef Blake and served from Wednesday to Sunday each week.
Reviewed 20 March 2017

We have had a fabulous lunch today at the green dragon pub. The staff were attentive and very helpful especially to my partner who required a gluten free meal. The roast beef was succulent and the vegetables were beautifully cooked. We will definately be returning to this fabulous little place. I have to say I really do recommend the toffee cheesecake!!

Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely Sunday lunch here after our daughter's christening and the relaxed and friendly atmosphere made it a lovely afternoon. The food was of a very high standard although we did find service a bit slow both in taking our order and between courses. It was well worth the wait though and an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We had booked a table for two and when my wife and I arrived after a 3-hour drive at 12 noon on Sunday, there were no other customers. Had we made a mistake? My disbelief was soon dispelled by the charming and attentive bar and table staff - Poppy, Meg, Lucy and Laura - and the excellent range of real ales. As Poppy said, it was the calm before the storm! The pub soon filled to capacity with a hubbub of happy diners and drinkers. The young ladies were happy in their work. Plenty of badinage and laughter. The Adnams Old Ale (and a fine Rioja for my wife) and the roast beef lunch were excellent.

A note about the lunch. Where else can you have a side platter of 6 vegetables cooked to perfection to accompany excellent beef slices, light and tasty Yorkshire pud, roast potatoes, creamy mash, dumplings and home made horseradish sauce at such a reasonable price? We were very impressed.

Full marks to the Proprietor for his stewardship of the kitchen, the cellar, the dining, the staff and front-of-house at this very well run pub. I don't know why it doesn't feature in the Good Beer Guide because the ales are magnificent. I will recommend it through my CAMRA membership.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

Booked in for Sunday Dinner on 29th. January. It's my local, welcomed, served drinks and shown to Table in the Restaurant. Always feel this room is not that welcoming and on the bland side but it's all the place has and not all places get the scenic view. Shown the menu, out of 6 of us 1 had a starter. For main I had the traditional Sunday Roast, well done Chef, the Beef was spot on, potatoes excellent, Yorkshire pudding and gravy nice, can't comment on the vegetables as eating them is against my religion. Pudding, had Blueberry Cheese cake...nice/moreish. All enjoyed, staff pleasant. Value for money....Yes. Retired to bar for several top ups of Guinness and B.S. with usual Sunday Crew......Nice afternoon, Thank you.

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

Stumbled upon this pub as we were looking for somewhere for a nice sunday lunch. Turned out to be the right choice! Welcoming, helpful and polite staff. Didnt need to book. Enjoyed a fab roast beef dinner, home made yorkies, proper gravy and lovely veg. Highly recommended would love to go back for an evening meal.