See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 March 2017

A train trip with a "Hold UP", by the local "Hillbilly's", was fun, very surprising and followed by a superb spit roast meal at the village. Sadly during the Quiz, one team googled and won by half a "cheating point" Would recommend to all !

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2017 via mobile

Hubby and I were doing a scooter ride, we decided to go the SH 7 route to Culverden, Waiau, and Cheviot.
Traffic on the road north was flowing nicely. And I thought hmmm I've never been to the Hurunui Village building, (which is right next door to the Hurunui Hotel, which is now red stickered due to the recent earthquakes).
Next moment hubby is indicating to turn in to the car park. GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE.
Plenty of car parking available, great "old time" themed outdoor seating available.
We ordered our drinks from the large cafe, huge seat area inside the building also. Quite rustic. A chap was setting up for some live music to entertain. The coffees arrived by a very cheerful young lady,
Only when I started drinking did I discovered my cup hadn't been cleaned very well. I took it back and told the barista, and another coffee duly arrived.
We had a look at the menu, the desserts sounded absolutely scrumptious..eg Liquorice Parfait with Lime sauce or something like that. About $12.
We will have to return to try them out.
Coffee was well made

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2015

I have been to this restaurant 3 times, unfortunately it has been organised by other people so I had no choice but each time the food has been very average and the prices high. I would never choose this restaurant.
It may be fine for overseas visitors as the $ would not be so high for them so would make it a reasonable price.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2015

Found this place by accident when we needed a coffee. Try the scones, huge and fresh, just out of the oven. Lovely chat to Barb and so wished we had found this place the night before and stayed in a cottage. Magical setting near the vines

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2014

Great 3 days spent relaxing in the beautifully appointed Colonial cottage "Jesses". Beautiful bathroom and luxuriously appointed. Absolutely wonderful views over the vineyard to the landscape beyond through modern double glazed windows. We visit 3 or 4 times a year the Cafe/Restaurant for a lunch and absolutely love the curly chips, the fish was fresh and delicious. Heat pump for those who feel the cold.

You are left alone with no interruption for cleaning/servicing unit each day. No clean towels each day which makes it environmentally friendly. Ideally placed to see the region with Hanmer a half hour drive down the road.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple