All reviews lots of space sao miguel evening meal at the hotel pools quinta accommodation camino style stopover portugal villa pilgrims kettle wedding century comfort
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

We (a family of four) stayed for a week at Quinto San Miguel in Aug 2018. It was an enjoyable and memorable stay. The accommodation is rustic, charming and authentic. Perhaps, at times, you might also say quaint. Parts of the site are Instagram-beautiful, without ever trying too hard. There is an impressive church located a stone's throw away, which creates a lovely backdrop to everything you do (as well as reminding you of the time, as it chimes on the hour). There are two pools, which are not heated but never felt too cold (in late August) and you can order simple food and drinks from the reception. We also borrowed bikes and rode around the village. So, it's possible to while away a day or two staying near to, or on, the site.

The accommodation is located near to a number of good sized towns and cities and can be used as a bolt-hole to see many of the highlights of Northern Portugal. While there, we visited Villa Do Conde (15 min drive), Porto (by car and Metro), the Thursday market in Barcelos (25 mins by car), Guimaraes, Braga and a water park in Fafe (each a 30 min drive). All of these are interesting and, for different reasons, worth a visit but the amount of time spent in a car can be a challenge (and not just for teenage children).

After a few days, you can start to feel a little isolated. The accommodation is similar to a hotel, with breakfast provided, a staffed reception, rooms cleaned daily and mini bar in your room. You can also book an evening meal on site, but for our Brexit-tight English purses this was more than we ideally wanted to spend every night. Therefore we tended to eat out and, although we enjoyed a variety of food, and didnt break the bank, it meant we were restricted in what we could drink (which was particularly unfair on the driver). As a hotel-style residence, there were no facilities available where guests could prepare some food for themselves.

Apart from seeing the cultural highlights of the local towns and cities, I also took the opportunity to see some football. Many Primeira Liga teams are placed in this area of Portugal and generally play on Friday - Sunday. I went to See FC Porto (tickets available from their shops) and Vitoria SC, which is located in Guimaraes (tickets available on the door). However, Braga is also close, as are Moreirense (in Moereira de Conegos) and Rio Ave play just 15 mins away in Villa de Conde.

So, we enjoyed our stay at Quinto Sao Miguel de Argos and were grateful for the care shown by our hosts. As a base to explore Northern Portugal it is ideal, but if you wish to stay on site and be less active then, after a couple of days, you might start to feel a little isolated.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Beautiful old stone building and the hosting family are friendly and serving. Our room was large and comfortable. Hair dryer, kettle and stocked bar fridge. The dinner and breakfast was lovely. We were very pleased by our first night's stay.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2018

We stayed there for one night as a stop-over on the Camino. Book your evening meal at the hotel as there is no restaurant within walking distance. The evening meal and breakfast were both good, although a bit crowded. I would have preferred one of the modern rooms which are larger and better furnished. Our room was upstairs and furnished in an antique style.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed in this lovely guesthouse while on the Camino. It is a beautiful,old and well restored establishment with delightful rooms, all of which are quite individual. The beds were comfy and the shower good. The meal we had there was good, basic Portuguese food and was delicious. The breakfast was adequate.
The service was very friendly and the young lady had excellent English.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

The place I’m staying tonight seems like something out of a storybook. Quinta Sao Miguel do Arcos. Ancient stone walls, well-used stone floors polished by probably millions of feet that must have walked these surfaces. Roof supported by irregular wooden beams, furnishing from 1920-30s. Some added effects from the “hazy-sixties”. Astonishingly quaint bathroom with claw-feet bathtub. Looking at the construction, it’s so 1880s and furnishings so 1930s. Nothing here belongs in this century, even I’m so 1950s. Yet, it has all the modern-day comforts. Big-screen TV, electricity, hot and cold running water, plenty of outlets to charge all the digital crap we tend to lug around.

Tonight, a portion of the Quinta is set aside for a wedding. I saw the “bridal automobile”…it’s a white Datsun 1200 from 1960s, how magical does it get, eh! Mary, the amazingly personable, beautiful, accommodating, and kind receptionist explained to me all the “do’s and don’ts”, the latter not many. She informed that breakfast will be served from 9 to 11. Well, my taxi arrives at 9 which will take me about 20k south so that I trek those kilometres. She immediately offered to make me a “box” consisting of goodies like quaijo, pao, marmalada, milk, juice and a boiled egg. I was simply blown over by her willingness to help. Turns out, most guests, with the exception of some wedding party guests, are peregrinos/pilgrims like me. I already met two very nice pilgrim sisters from California.

Igreja is next door and it seems there are few places to have dinner around. An excellent place for reflection and contemplation, just metres away from St. James Way.

Date of stay: September 2017