All reviews huge bed lounge area lots of space day's walk plenty of food sao miguel evening meal at the hotel looked nice and clean hungry walkers antonio pools quinta accommodation stone farms camino style
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed in this lovely guesthouse while on the Camino. It is a beautiful,old and well restored establishment with delightful rooms, all of which are quite individual. The beds were comfy and the shower good. The meal we had there was good, basic Portuguese food and was delicious. The breakfast was adequate.
The service was very friendly and the young lady had excellent English.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

The place I’m staying tonight seems like something out of a storybook. Quinta Sao Miguel do Arcos. Ancient stone walls, well-used stone floors polished by probably millions of feet that must have walked these surfaces. Roof supported by irregular wooden beams, furnishing from 1920-30s. Some added effects from the “hazy-sixties”. Astonishingly quaint bathroom with claw-feet bathtub. Looking at the construction, it’s so 1880s and furnishings so 1930s. Nothing here belongs in this century, even I’m so 1950s. Yet, it has all the modern-day comforts. Big-screen TV, electricity, hot and cold running water, plenty of outlets to charge all the digital crap we tend to lug around.

Tonight, a portion of the Quinta is set aside for a wedding. I saw the “bridal automobile”…it’s a white Datsun 1200 from 1960s, how magical does it get, eh! Mary, the amazingly personable, beautiful, accommodating, and kind receptionist explained to me all the “do’s and don’ts”, the latter not many. She informed that breakfast will be served from 9 to 11. Well, my taxi arrives at 9 which will take me about 20k south so that I trek those kilometres. She immediately offered to make me a “box” consisting of goodies like quaijo, pao, marmalada, milk, juice and a boiled egg. I was simply blown over by her willingness to help. Turns out, most guests, with the exception of some wedding party guests, are peregrinos/pilgrims like me. I already met two very nice pilgrim sisters from California.

Igreja is next door and it seems there are few places to have dinner around. An excellent place for reflection and contemplation, just metres away from St. James Way.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

Very nice sort of family driven (?) place. Which means it has charm and style, but not everything is as on a chain hotel. You had to use the telephone to summon the receptionist, who came quickly and gave great and quick service. The place is beautiful, with two outdoor swimming pools, but you had to pass some farmers on the property to get to one of them - then there were plenty of space and view all around! My room was very large, but the door a bit low. There were no air conditioning, but the walls was made of thick stone, so it was cool and nice. Good WiFi. Somewhat limited menu, and you have to order before 7 PM and eat at 8 PM not too much to choose from. The place also is far away from anything else, as far as I could figure. Quite a (nice) experience.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2017

We stayed here for 1 night whilst walking the Camino Portugues. We received a warm welcome. When you are walking the Camino you will need to book your evening meal at the hotel as there is no restaurant within walking distance. The evening meal was very good value and plenty of food for hungry walkers. Our room was more like an apartment with a kitchen/dining area, lounge area, and a huge bed which was really comfortable. The bathroom had a shower and a huge bath, There is a nice breakfast.The grounds are really well kept, pools looked nice and clean.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2017

Wonderful to end our day's walk with an elegant room and wine in the garden before dinner. Antonio was so helpful booking finding us a place for the next night and arranging for my now too heavy pack to travel ahead of us. Dinner was fun with each group having their own table but talking to each other. HIghly recommend.

Date of stay: June 2017