“Wonderful and cozy getaway”

STF Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge
Reviewed 24 March 2015

It was an absolutely amazing experience. Being away from busy and stressful life for a moment, in a stunning and beautiful environment. Perfect to visit with the person(s) you love, and spend some quality time together with. But also a chance to meet people, and share stories around a crackling campfire, made by some self chopped wood. The owner and his colleague were more than welcoming, despite arriving outside the requested check-in hours. Staying there for just two nights will hardly be enough to experience the place at it's fullest. Enough reasons to visit again another time.

Room Tip: the charcoal burner cabins are the best way to experience this beautiful place
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 October 2014

I stayed in Kolarbyn for 3 weeks as a volunteer, and it was simply amazing.
First of all Andreas, the owner, is a great person, charismatic and friendly, who turned this place into an unique one.
The surrounding nature is spectacular, immerse in a spruce forest, a little stream is flowing ,a mystic well in the deep forest and the twelve charcoal huts create a fairy atmosphere.
Lake Skärsjön behind is wonderful with a floating sauna on it (take a dive in to the lake after a sauna, careful it can be colddd :-)).
All around there are delicious blueberries, ling berries and mushrooms which you can pick up and safely eat.
Besides if you go in the right period, you might also see the charcoal production.
Moreover various safari (such as beaver and moose safari) are organized by WildSweden association.

Overall I would strongly recommend this place for a holiday for all those who want to enjoy the nature deeply, get rid of technology for a while, try a simple and healthy life, and basically have a memorable experience.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank davide t
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The huts come with a dust free 25mm granite stone chippings gravelly floor & comfy ship size beds covered with I think, a gel mat & definitely a sheepskin. Sleeping bags (my zip broken) with a skinny pillow are provided, but I took my own compact memory foam pillow for the correct neck support. Be prepared if you have neck problems. Fortunately I sleep on my back as that's just about all you'll manage, but we all slept much better than the lovely, but HOT hotel in Zinkensdamm Stockholm. Insects were down to a minimum & definitely no ants. Best not eat in the huts which will attract them. There are candles lit ready for your arrival, which was a great touch & an official tour of the site by Jonathan. Pee in the front of the toilet & No2's in the back!! Place a spade full of soil over your business. Haha, I held off until the last day.

One thing I think the staff should do though, is make the long journey to the clean spring to fill the water canister that EVERYONE uses. My partner did it once & was then greeted with it empty a 2nd time! Can the staff do this please if possible?

We found out that you paid for the floating sauna & then had to start & stoke the fire to get it warm....too much messing around & plus, you could be doing this for someone else to jump in straight afterwards! I suppose you take your chances with that, much the same way as with the communal cooking; every morning, we were lucky enough to take over the hot embers of the previous person. I appreciate my electric kettle now as simply boiling a kettle of water just took ages on a wood fire, but great fun. I didn't realize that 14yr old girls loved fire so much;-)

We used the rowing boat free of charge & explored Lake Skärsjön. We rowed to the island in the middle & a beach far away. Lazy days exploring & swimming in the lovely lake; Moose & Beaver safaris; cooking & washing pots & pans outdoors. The web site for Kolarbyn is accurate & most people's descriptions & positive reviews I would just repeat.

Room Tip: There is a honeymoon hut/shed with a double bed
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Smokeywisk
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Amazing! If you want to jump out of everyday-life and inhale pure nature, then visit this lovely place. I had some wonderful tranquil days... making food over open fire, swimming in the lake, walking through the woods, and cosy nights in my little hobbit-hut.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marie N
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Overall: I very much can recommend this place for anyone willing to experience calm and nature in an uncomplicated but well-organized place.

Together with my two sons (10 and 12) we spent four nights at Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge. The three of us liked it very much. The place looks beautiful and one feels in perfect harmony with nature. It was a 'Into the Wild' feeling without having to hunt for food, though.

On the positive side: nice location, very peaceful ambiance, good quality basic food in the supply hut, free access to supply (i.e. trust based approach that we appreciated much), everything is well organized, no electricity/wifi and co :-) , lake, sauna.

On the negative side: limited sleeping comfort (my children slept like angels, though), no clear opening hours for receptions.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert B

Been to STF Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge? Share your experiences!