“3 nights in a grass covered hut called Bodvit”

STF Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The huts come with a dust free 25mm granite stone chippings gravelly floor & comfy ship size beds covered with I think, a gel mat & definitely a sheepskin. Sleeping bags (my zip broken) with a skinny pillow are provided, but I took my own compact memory foam pillow for the correct neck support. Be prepared if you have neck problems. Fortunately I sleep on my back as that's just about all you'll manage, but we all slept much better than the lovely, but HOT hotel in Zinkensdamm Stockholm. Insects were down to a minimum & definitely no ants. Best not eat in the huts which will attract them. There are candles lit ready for your arrival, which was a great touch & an official tour of the site by Jonathan. Pee in the front of the toilet & No2's in the back!! Place a spade full of soil over your business. Haha, I held off until the last day.

One thing I think the staff should do though, is make the long journey to the clean spring to fill the water canister that EVERYONE uses. My partner did it once & was then greeted with it empty a 2nd time! Can the staff do this please if possible?

We found out that you paid for the floating sauna & then had to start & stoke the fire to get it warm....too much messing around & plus, you could be doing this for someone else to jump in straight afterwards! I suppose you take your chances with that, much the same way as with the communal cooking; every morning, we were lucky enough to take over the hot embers of the previous person. I appreciate my electric kettle now as simply boiling a kettle of water just took ages on a wood fire, but great fun. I didn't realize that 14yr old girls loved fire so much;-)

We used the rowing boat free of charge & explored Lake Skärsjön. We rowed to the island in the middle & a beach far away. Lazy days exploring & swimming in the lovely lake; Moose & Beaver safaris; cooking & washing pots & pans outdoors. The web site for Kolarbyn is accurate & most people's descriptions & positive reviews I would just repeat.

Room Tip: There is a honeymoon hut/shed with a double bed
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Smokeywisk

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Amazing! If you want to jump out of everyday-life and inhale pure nature, then visit this lovely place. I had some wonderful tranquil days... making food over open fire, swimming in the lake, walking through the woods, and cosy nights in my little hobbit-hut.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marie N
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Overall: I very much can recommend this place for anyone willing to experience calm and nature in an uncomplicated but well-organized place.

Together with my two sons (10 and 12) we spent four nights at Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge. The three of us liked it very much. The place looks beautiful and one feels in perfect harmony with nature. It was a 'Into the Wild' feeling without having to hunt for food, though.

On the positive side: nice location, very peaceful ambiance, good quality basic food in the supply hut, free access to supply (i.e. trust based approach that we appreciated much), everything is well organized, no electricity/wifi and co :-) , lake, sauna.

On the negative side: limited sleeping comfort (my children slept like angels, though), no clear opening hours for receptions.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert B
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed 2 weeks at Kolarbyn as volunteer and it was a fantastic experience. If you are looking for tranquility and nature it's the perfect place to stay. You can go for a walk around the lake, use the sauna, a small boat or you can also swimming in the lake. It's good to stay one night but it's better to stay two or three nights to enjoy entirely. If you go there I advice you to do a safari (beaver/moose) with "wildsweden". I went there at the beginning of june and there was not so much mosquitoes yet. Andreas, the owner is a really nice person and helpful.
Well don't hesitate and try this unique adventure!!!

Room Tip: If you want something more confortable, you can choose the wood cabin.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The Kolarbyn Eco lodge was the highlight of our trip to Sweden! The little huts are straight out of a fairy tale, and were so warm and cosy and comfortable.

The host Andreas was great, showing us around the beautiful surrounds which include a stunning lake with a rowboat to use. A short walk around the lake takes you to the floating sauna which was a great way to unwind and warm up after a jump in the water.

The breakfast was delicious and everyone there was so friendly, chatting around the camp fires. We did a beaver and moose safari with Wild Sweden which was a great way to see the local wildlife.

I strongly recommend this unique experience

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ali446

Been to STF Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge? Share your experiences!