“A lovely ambiance.”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We visited The Swan as a family group (with just shy of an 80 year age spread) for lunch on Easter Saturday. To our amazement the dining room was deserted! That can sometimes be an ominous sign, but it proved not to be the case for us. (By the time we were onto our mains we were joined by other diners.)
We were made welcome and seated at a table compatible with a wheelchair, and drinks arrived promptly. I sampled the Swan bitter and found it to be very palatable. After the usual agonising over the choices, the attentive staff member took our orders and our starters arrived promptly. A few of us shared things - nachos, pork pie, others kept their calamari to themselves!
When the mains arrived, scampi was a popular choice, as well as lamb's liver, fish cake - surely a waste of good sea bass?- and pork belly. The eye-catching part of the meal were the chips - gorgeous!
After two courses there really wasn't room for a pud so we went straight to the coffee, (apart from the children).
Throughout the meal the staff made sure we had all we needed, and nothing seemed too much trouble. We'd not hesitate to go back.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Grey fish fingers in the fish finger sandwiches. Incredibly greasy and tasteless fish and chips. I think the chips were just oven chips.

Won’t be going back.

Service was fine.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

I’ve visited twice with friends for some food since the Swan re-opened. As others have said the decor and ambience are great now, particularly the courtyard and gin bar area.

However both times my food has just been average. Nothing was wrong but nothing outstanding either. Yesterday I had scampi and chips which is £11.00. However the portion size did not match the price. For me a few items on the menu for basically pub grub are priced too high. My friend had a Thai curry which didn’t really have any sauce.

The menu itself didn’t really inspire us yesterday, burgers, scampi and chips and then a few random things like the Thai curry thrown in, doesn’t seem
To be a theme. As it was lunch we would have fancied more deli sandwich or hot sandwich offerings but there were just a few cold offerings such as ham and mustard.

It will be good to re try next theme there is a menu change.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

My partner, daughter and I visited The Swan today, the place was well decorated and had a casual comfortable feel.
The staff were average, they did what was needed.
What made this visit disappointing was the wait for our food... 30 minutes and when it did arrive my dinner, the lasagne was burnt... it looked awful, even the waitress looked embarrassed placing it in front of me.
I scrapped the burnt crust off and fortunately the remaining food was unaffected and tasted ok.
We won’t be going back.

1  Thank Angela T
Rosie R, Guest Relations Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Hi Angela, thanks for taking the time to leave a review for The Swan and for visiting us on Sunday.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the meal you received, this isn't our usual standard and I have passed your comments on to the kitchen team. We are always working to ensure our food is a good quality and we're disappointed this didn't show for your visit. We would like the chance to make things right and show this was a one-off occurrence, by offering you and your family a meal on us.

If you wouldn't mind dropping an email through to hello@boathouseltd.co.uk, I'll happily arrange this for you. I hope to hear from you soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Went here today with my dad for lunch, the staff were very friendly and the food was lovely. Will definitely be returning and recommending to other. Thank you for my lovely burger!

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely review! We're really glad you and your dad had a good time, hopefully see you again soon. The team at The Swan.