All reviews zurich lake lovely hotel lake view beer garden business trip service was excellent high quality outstanding location nice touch ferry ride great option i'm glad close to the train station private beach main building rooms are comfortable historic house
Reviewed 24 December 2010

We enjoyed our short stay at this small hotel in Kusnacht on Lake Zurich which is ideal for visiting Zurich city. The city is about 10 kms away but can be reached easily by bus, rail and boat. We had a nicely decorated, spacious room in a separate building from the main building which houses reception and restaurant. From our room we had an uninterupted view of the lake and the Alps beyond. There are pleasant walks alongside the lake. Dinner and breakfast at the hotel were excellent.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed for 2 nights in the Sea House of the Sonne and found it overpriced for the room standard. Our room with a lake view was in the attic and was very warm and gloomy. We paid a premium for a lakeview which I had to stand on tip toe to see, when I expressed my disappointment at paying a premium for a non-view it was ignored. In addition to the lack of view there was no assistance with taking our luggage up to the room, no air-con and no hot drinks facility. The decor was also a bit odd with modern ikea type wardrobes mixed with touches of chintz and gothic. Bathroom by contrast was spacious, bright and had the better view. When I tried to hook up to the wi-fi I found that you were expected to pay for this - very poor when you pay a room rate of over £200.

The location on the lakeside was lovely with a restaurant on the river bank plus gardens with loungers. As we had to leave the windows open to try and get some air we were wokened early and repeatedly by the regular boat service stopping at the hotel. The food was of a good quality but expensive, as were the drinks.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Küsnacht is my favorite town in this area of Switzerland because it's only about 20 minutes from Zürich, and is easily accessible by car, train, or even a ferry because the Sonne has their own boat stop. The Sonne is a really nice hotel, especially during the Spring and Summer months when the sun is shining and you can dine outside on the terrace overlooking Lake Zürich.
The service and staff here are extremely polite, friendly, and very informative. The rooms here are in my opinion flip flopped because the less expensive rooms are nicer than the junior suites! The first couple of times I stayed here I had a regular room that was on the side towards the Lake, and it was perfect. It was clean, bright, had a great view, and temperature control. The bed was comfortable and the shower didn't flood the bathroom floor, which is what occured when I stayed in a junior suite the last time I visited. Besides the water getting all over the floor, the junior suites are darker, have a cold feeling, maybe because there's no temperature control, and they are also louder because the bathroom fan shuts off when it wants to. The beds aren't comfortable, and the decor of the room is just bad. If you stay at the Sonne book a cheaper room because honestly, they are better than the suites.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2008

This is a beautiful little hotel right outside of Zurich in a nice little lakeside suburb. The rooms are all thoughfully decorated and the restaurants are great. The place is a little pricey, sure, but the staff is tremendously helpful. The hotel is worth walking around. It's very old but it's been updated in the most tasteful way. Don't forget to ask about the spa. If you're on a budget, eat at the lakeside buffet restaurant.

Be sure to walk to the nearby park to the east of the property and take a swim. You can take the train right there; the staion is nearby. Walk under the bridge, don't cross Seestrasse. Spend the few extra ducats to get the lakeside room. Don't cheap out like we did and get the street-side room. It's noisy. Oh, if you go there when it's hot, beware. The place has no AC.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank af847
Reviewed 19 April 2007

I travel a lot in the US, and I'm used to total indifference from hotel staff. I guess that's why I'm so impressed with the Romantik Seehotel Sonne in Kusnacht. From the time you arrive, until you leave, everyone is friendly and accommodating. The room was spacious and comfortable. The buffet breakfast, included in the price I paid, was excellent.

The hotel is only a few blocks from the train station, and a very easy walk, even with bags. There is a dock in front of the hotel where you can catch round-trip excursion boats that cruise Lake Zurich every hour.

Don’t hesitate to take the train from the Zurich Airport when you arrive. The S16 goes directly from the airport to the Kusnacht station—no transfer. It’s very easy.

I am not easy to impress--a pretty jaded traveler. But just one example will show you what the service level is at the hotel. I needed to depart early to the airport, about 5:00 AM. This small hotel doesn’t have a bustling lobby 24 hours a day, so when I came down the elevator, it looked as if things were closed up. As soon as I walked into the lobby, lights came on and I was greeted by a staff member. The restaurant wasn’t open, but he insisted on making me a cup of coffee to send me on my way, which he quickly prepared and served with some cookies.

You’ll enjoy your stay.