See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

We had a very good lunch. Service was very good, food was of high quality. The price level is rathrt high in German general terms, but good for the area. We enjoyed the dry menu (Eur 68/4 course) well and would come anytime again with pleasure.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2016

This hotel is a perfect choice if you want to visit Basel. We stayed in a newer building
behind the older area of the gasthaus. The room is clean, nice decorated and big.
Its very quiet in the neighborhood in the night. We enjoyed the wonderful breakfast buffet in the morning. You have enough parking space. If you want to go to Basel, you can catch a tram in the City of Weil and you will arrive the city of Basel without any problems and no paying parking garage fees there. The staff is very nice and helpful. I always stay there if I have to visit Basel.

Room tip: Take a room in the newer annex behind the main building
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Ralf K
Reviewed 12 September 2015

The Gasthaus Schwanen is an excellent choice if you are visiting Basel or the Haut Rhin. I stayed in a newer annex behind the main or older area of the gasthaus. My room was fastidiously clean, nicely decorated, and large by European standards. It is very quiet in the neighborhood in the evenings. TV included a few English language channels and Eurosport which allows one to keep up to date. I especially enjoyed the breakfast which had standard items (meats, cheeses, yogurt), a smoked leberkase, fresh fruit, a superior wood oven bread, and nice rolls, The coffee was first-rate. On both mornings I ate breakfast, the attendants were charming, but on the second morning the attendant in the breakfast room was positively delightful! There is plenty of parking both to the side and rear of the gasthaus.

As to location, I highly recommend the Schwanen. Hotels in Switzerland are prohibitively expensive. If going to Basel, you can easily catch a tram into the city from Weil am Rhein and quickly arrive at the city center with a minimum of hassles and no parking garage fees. If traveling over to the Bas Rhin (Mulhouse), this location offers a close stay with the positive attributes that I think make German gasthauses a better choice than similarly priced French hotels.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stay here regularly, so it can't be too bad. The rooms are always clean, service very friendly, and the restaurant is exceptional (if pricey).
Some of the rooms feel a little dated, and the new annex has a much nicer modern feel. My only real gripe is the lack of air con, and if you plan to sleep with the window open you may want ear plugs thanks to the nearby church bells.

Date of stay: August 2012
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My partner's family booked this restaurant for a large wedding reception. The food was good and the service was fine. I can recommend this place as a fine restaurant, especially for large groups. I did not stay here so cannot comment on the accommodation.

Date of stay: August 2011