Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
elisafenn

Exceptional hotel

Review of Altapura
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 21 Mar 2024
Incredible hotel, great location.
Food was wonderful. Great choices.
Staff were wonderful.
Service and amenities were great.
We can’t wait to come back.

Only niggle was husband hit hit head off the vertical wooden planks that over hang the food items. They were far too low, and his head was bleeding.
Date of stay: April 2023
  • StayForLong
1.0 km from Altapura
  • Vio.com
View more hotels in Val Thorens
All reviews ski shop breakfast and dinner the general manager pool and hot tub ski hotel wonderful hotel kids club luxury hotel free shuttle shuttle service perfect stay junior suite ski vacation every evening ski school concierge spa
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 March 2024

1. I have stayed at Altapura a few times just for weekends when the other 5* hotels in Val T were full or much more expensive.

2. On my last stay, when we checked in we were in a hurry to get out of skis so we collected room keys without providing the passport at checkin, assuming ok to do that a bit later.

2. Whilst in the shower a member of the reception staff let herself into the room and shouted that we had not paid for the room....which was incorrect since we had prepaid at least part of it via booking.com. She did not immediately close the door when seeing my friend standing in a towel trying to get out of the shower.

3. We got dressed and then went down to complete the checkin formalities and the staff were rude and ignored the point that they should not have let themselves into a room and if they did should immediately have left when seeing someone in the shower. Note that they had my car…so no option to leave without paying etc. ….this was just poorly trained staff.

5. Subsequent to that stay I wrote the review below, which I stand by as a reasonable assessment on location and service.

6. However I booked the hotel again since it was cheaper than the other options for this coming weekend and would give them a second chance. The hotel itself is ok…so maybe the staff were just having a bad day.

7. …but got a call from them after I booked asking me about the previous bad review and suggesting to cancel the new reservation or withdraw the review. Given their attitude to feedback I think it was time to stop spending further money with them so I accepted a cancellation and refund.

8. Advice to hotel owners is that you need better management and to streamline your check-in to avoid lengthy waits and confusion. Cancelling repeat bookings due to poor feedback is not a good look…

Original review below:

The location is far away from the centre of Val Thorens so long walk to try other restaurants….which you will want to do since the restaurant in the hotel is mediocre.

Most staff in the hotel are pretty good and helpful but the checkin is slow due to inexperienced staff. Not their fault but management choice to cut costs results in slow service.

Have stayed twice and may do again but there are better options in Val t.

Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2024

Having had the best review from friends some 12 years ago, saying how amazing it was, and that we should all stay here, one of our group managed to secure a group half biard booking for us all to go, costing £25k there abouts. The hotel, not a 5* for so many reasons, its in need of some tlc on decor, restaurant was very basic, food limited, almost every night cold, tepid, with cold plates, but dessert plates warm. One night we had chicken and chips no better than cheap basket food, £5 you'd pay the most for it. The kitchen staff changed every sitting and every day, no one consistent in the kitchen. Two friends had food poisoning, they were the only ones to have oysters. Me and two ithers had plastic in our soup, seemed to have been added to the blender. Drinks tarrif varied in the bar, I paid three different prices for the same gin and tonic ranging from 21 euros to 17 euros. A number of staff in the bar and restaurant were rude, impersonal and seemed poorly trained in hospitality. On dealing with mistakes language issues seemed to be blamed.
Our room was ok, clean towels daily, but cups etc went missing and had to be asked for.
Hotel felt tired, and the staff too, I'll equipped to manage tasks. For a miserable culture to develop it seems that this is from the top and filtered down.
The only nice thong was the hotel ski shop, who helped me with my skis.
The spa had lots of children in it and parents didn't seem to take notice of the times kids could be in the spa. Although ordinarily I wouldn't mind so much, but it wasn't managed by the hotel staff.
I've skied Val Thorens before, it's beautiful, I'd never stay at this hotel, nor any hotels associated to it, seems like its been ruined since it became a chain, sadly.
Too expensive, badly run, tired, and not up to a 5* standard they've labled it as.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2024

Nice hotel but it’s very hard to question the logic of a 5-star hotel with fabric shower curtains. We arrived to a very smelly room thanks to a damp shower curtain which I had to manually remove to remedy the bad odour. I cannot fathom the logic of using a shower curtain that will get wet and smell.

Another bizarre issue is the location of solid metal light fittings placed immediately above the breakfast tables. As a result of these low hanging bulbs, my wife and I both got smacked in the face on numerous occasions as these fittings are located at face height above the breakfast seating area. These are heavy items, and we were both hurt on several occasions as you forget their location whilst dining until raising from the breakfast area.

The swimming pool is also not child friendly. We arrived at 5pm with our 3 hound children (aged 1, 3 & 5) as we previously noticed a signpost saying that it was adults only from 6pm-8pm which was fair enough. After a few minutes in the pool, the receptionist walked over to advise the pool was a “quiet area”. We immediately felt unwelcome and decided to leave. I would like to understand why the hotel feels it’s necessary to ask young children to be quiet in a swimming pool and if this is a realistic expectation?

The hotel is in a great location and finished to a very high standard, a few simple changes would make the hotel so much more comforatable for it's guests.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2024 via mobile

Great benefits
- excellent staff very polite and helpful unpack all your ski items into locker and repack on departure
- good breakfast selection
- spa is clean and well attended to by staff and never too busy
- ski in and out to main lift
- comfortable rooms, clean and tidy fresh bottled water daily
- town shuttle bus is very efficient
- concierges are easily available and can organise lift passes
-ski shop and staff very knowledgeable and good selection of equipment
- take away breakfast was provided on our last day as we were leaving at 6.30am.

Little things that could be improved
- English breakfast tea should be served at breakfast with milk sugar etc. you just get a mug with a teabag and hot water I’d expect abit better as 5 star. The coffee is excellent though
- breakfast service is a little disorganised buffet is good bit hot drinks tend to arrive after you have eaten.
- the television in the room has limited selection of channels and movies sometimes buffer for a long time. Take a HDMI and attach your own device
- plug sockets with USB would be handy
- go half board as evening buffet is very pricey if you don’t wish to venture to the town

We had a brilliant stay and we are looking to return next year.

Room tip: Go half board as works out better value for money Take HDMI to attach IPad/laptop to the tv if you wish to have film night
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2024

This hotel is outstanding, the location on the slopes is first class, the spa is a fabulous luxury to have in a hotel in this location. The staff are amongst the most professional and friendly I have come across in any hotel in the world. The food is delicious both breakfast and lunch, the shuttle into town and back is also a welcome addition especially when it’s snowing. Looking forward to our return.

Date of stay: February 2024