“Room 200 A Must.Stayed June 2007” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de la Plage Mahogany

Hotel de la Plage Mahogany
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Cassis
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Room 200 A Must.Stayed June 2007”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Found this hotel by chance having been recommended Cassis as a place worth visiting.We were sat on the beach opposite the hotel & although we hadn't planned on staying overnight in Cassis,we ended up booking in for one night.
Hotel was pretty full but they offered us a suite(room 200) was quite pricey 220 euro's including breakfast,but worth every penny.
On checking in my husband left me to sign in whilst he went to park the car in the hotels carpark.I asked the receptionist if she could arrange a bottle of champagne in our room as a suprise as it was our anniversary.The champagne was waiting for us by the time we got up to the room,impressive.
The room,suite itself was very spacious.It had an amazing huge balcony overlooking the sea.Had breakfast on the balcony the next morning,which was very nice pastries all very fresh.
Location wise as I said just across the road from pebbly beach & a lovely 10 min stroll to the harbour with a good choice of restaurants to choose from.

Room Tip: Room 200 A Must.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

This hotel has the best view of any hotel I have stayed in. The views are remarkable. That is about it. There is one member of staff that does reception and bar and breakfast. The rooms are so so dated and tiny. They are very small. The welcome was rude and they just pointed the direction of my room so had to lug my luggage up. We could not believe that we paid £160 and £190 per night for two rooms when the true value Is £75-85 in my opinion. You can stay in. And b s t 3 star hotels in cassis for half the price and they look nicer. Everyone we spoke to felt ripped off! The location is great and the breakfast is quite nice too. The website looks amazing buy do not be fooled.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
4 Thank charlieg628

Travellers are raving about these Cassis hotels

Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

Broken air conditioning, broken shower, the supposed parking they had was full and we had to waste an hour to find parking and walk back. Two of three desk clerks seemed uninterested in our problems with the room or in helping us with basic info like how to walk to Cassis or whether we could leave our car parked on the side of the street overnight. Loud party hosted by hotel kept us up past 2am. We would have changed hotels in the middle of the night if it wasn't the high season and everything booked up.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FremontTroll
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

We stayed there for two days during Easter 2011. When I booked the hotel, I thought that it was a bit expensive but due to the holidays, I could not find anything else. I admit that once we arrived, I did not regret it at all.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, it is right in front of the beach, it has both a private part (for hotel guests but you have to pay) and the public part next to it. Only difference is whether you have chairs or not.
The hotel provided you with beach towels that you return before you leave, excellent idea.
The rooms are undoubtedly quite small but they all have this cute balcony with a view of the sea, makes you forget that the room is small. It was large enough for four of us to sit there and enjoy a drink.
The town of Cassis is adorable but I can see that it would be overflowing with tourists during the summer. It also has some very good restaurants, even with a Michelin star.
Parking is difficult in the town, the hotel has a parking lot for a fee but it can be full at times.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Dora Z
North Bergen, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here on the last leg of our honeymoon in May 2011. The hotel is in the most perfect location. Right on the beach - a small, gorgeous beach that appeared to be popular with the locals. It's a nice 10 minute walk to the port, which means at night it's quiet. We stayed in the suite on the 1st floor and it was gorgeous. Huge room, huge terrace, perfect view. It felt incredibly luxurious and romantic.
Now for the cons - the staff at the hotel are not the friendliest people. Most of them did not speak English, which I understand we were in France, but at an international hotel there should at least be 1 person who speaks English. And as many reviews state below, they were rather cold and off-putting. They were not helpful when we had questions about restaurants or activities at all. This was the most frustrating thing. We asked one of the receptionists where we could rent kayaks, which is a very popular thing to do in Cassis, and the man just shrugged his shoulders and said he had no idea.
Also, the breakfasts are rather underwhelming. Nothing really appealing besides fresh baguettes and fruit. Although the view from the terrace where breakfast is served makes up for that.
All this being said, I would still choose to deal with the abysmal staff and disappointing breakfasts again if it meant I could stay in a room with this incredible view and location. I think it's worth putting up with bad service for what was otherwise a pretty great experience.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple