Open today: 10:00 am - 4:45 pm

Book in advance
from
AU$31.44
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Basilica Cathedral of Saint-Denis
from AU$31.44
More Info
from AU$153.87
More Info
1,484 results
All reviews french history french royalty gothic architecture buried here burial place french kings and queens audio guide royal tombs metro line stained glass windows louis xii flying buttresses his wife visiting paris minute walk de france homes
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 July 2019

Not the normal type of thing that I enjoy but it was very beautiful and educational. Definitely pay for the headphones. Without them we would have been lost. I had a knee injury and walking was difficult so this was not the tour for me. The rest of my Party loved it. Depending on your interest level, you could spend hours and hours here to see & listen to it all.

1  Thank ck2694
Reviewed 9 July 2019

This fantastically beautiful building is of singular importance both historically and architecturally: started in 1144, it was the first church to built in the Gothic architectural style. The organ was built in 1841, and was the first organ built to have "romantic," rather than baroque, sounds. All but three of the Kings of France are buried in the Basilica, as well as a few other monarchs. We took the Metro from our Paris hotel, it stops a block from the church. Late afternoon, fantastic windows!

4  Thank MdDaddyBear
Reviewed 6 July 2019

Not sure why this isn't a must-see in Paris. Very old gothic cathedral that is the burial site for most of the kings of France. It was fascinating to see all the tombs, especially in the crypt. It is a easy Metro ride from the heart of Paris. Located on a square next to the City Hall. We went on a Saturday afternoon and had drinks at a cafe afterwards and watched the couples and their parties arrive to get married at the City Hall.

3  Thank 607kimf
Reviewed 21 June 2019

The architecture was stunning. The stained glass windows rivaled those of Notre Dame. But the Crypt was truly awe-inspiring. To see the final resting places of kings, queens, and other rulers dating from the 5th century was a walk through history. Well worth the visit!

2  Thank James773
Reviewed 12 June 2019

Quite a stark Cathedral, St Denis, and so very ancient. I wanted to have a word with the French Kings and Queens and this seemed like the place to do it. However, while entry to the body of the Cathedral is free, entrance into the space where the tombs are is by ticket. Can't remember how much but I didn't want to pay it and as you could look over the railing easily at the tombs and memorials, I just did that.
I have to say that, disappointingly, I didn't linger because it was SO cold. It was a raw, icy day outside anyway and the old stones and huge spaces magnified that. Take a pashmina or a jacket with you.
Easy to get to on the Metro and there was a local market on the square the day I visited.

Date of experience: May 2019