“A REAL GEM of an HOTEL”

Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Sarlat-la-Caneda
Stafford, United Kingdom
“A REAL GEM of an HOTEL”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

What a wonderful place, hidden down a small track!
Very "Olde Worlde" in its charming appearance but very modern in its outlook. The hotel contains many interesting items of decoration (old but small machinery, for one example) dotted about in corners. The ambience was superb, the food was excellent and the staff friendly, smiling and helpful. We stayed for four nights with a party of 37 others and I did not hear one single complaint; nay, the reverse was true, everyone to whom I spoke had fallen in love with the whole experience. The restaurant staff could not have been more helpful. The extensive grounds would make for excellent strolling that unfortunately we could not enjoy because of wet weather. We could not extend any blame here to the hotel! There is an excellent outdoor swimming pool with surroundings for lazing in the sun; but again we could not sample. Our last morning was met by an electricity failure but that did not phaze the staff who battled on. The whole experience will be remembered fondly for years to come and YES, WE WOULD GO BACK AGAIN. We understood that the "Star Rating" was 3 Superior but we would give the hotel at least 4 stars if not 5. Having read some negative or poor reviews of this establishment makes us consider that things have been changed.

Room Tip: We sampled only one room but it was excellent with plenty of hangers, drawers, safe, super bathroom...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MidlandsBoater

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Derby. East Midlands
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We found this to be a really cute hotel, albeit with slightly eccentric decor in some of the rooms. But that just made it feel quirky and characterful to us.
We were there 4nights and were served a 5 course dinner every evening (incl appetiser and cheese course) and it was some of the best food we had on our trip to France (we also visited Albi and Carcassonne).
I'm quite surprised at the negative reviews - all of the staff we encountered were delightful and couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.
We enjoyed it very much and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DivaDawnie
Hobart
Reviewed 11 October 2011

After reading a number of reviews I was concerned that we had been booked to stay as part of a walking group.

After spending seven days at RDM I can't understand the negative reviews and can only assume that the property has had some changes in personnel or issues with service consistency.

The property itself is quite exquisite and beautifully located just outside Sarlat. The room was comfortable, aircon worked and during our stay we were able to sleep with the window opening. Some may not like the decor, but I thought it was well in keeping with the region.

The staff were pleasant and attentive and dealt with all our queries couteously.

The hotel only caters for breakfast which is standard French style. Other catering is undertaken by a catering company which during our stay delivered 4 course dinners to the highest restaurant standards.

The facilities including pool, bar and wifi are all accessible and in the case of wifi, is provided free of charge.

The only slight negative is that it is not located in beautiful Sarlat, but given the extensive free parking on site and the location near a supermarket it well and truly compensates for the 15 minute walk. Parking in Sarlat is restricted and quite expensive.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank HobartResident
tel aviv
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Me and my husband arrived to this hotel in june 2010 for 6 days.I asked for an extra sheet and a reading lamp that was missing. after a short time we found out that the a.c does not function. it was than 38 c.I came to the reception,
in a very polite way to ask for help with the a.c.what I got was, insulting attitude in the most ugly way.I was told not to ask any thing more and in a simply way -to get lost.
i don't recommend coming to this hotel .

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank hana_amit
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We stayed here for a few days looking forward to the charm of a mansion in the woods, a bit secluded from the madness of Dordogne. What we got was a mixed bag. Nice pool but a dilapidated mad-hatter building desperately in need of some investment. And disrespectful owners. I think you can do much, much better in the area.

Pro's:
1. Location: The Relais de Moussidiere is in a secluded depression off of one of the main roads into Sarlat, making it a great jumping off point for all of your adventures in the area (there is LOTS to do). Less than 3 minutes away, there is even a Casino supermarket when you just need to buy a ball for the kids to play in the pool...

The grounds that the Relais are located in are apparently vast, but we did not explore - it was impossibly hot and humid when we were there.

2. Pool: We were delighted by the pool, which was very pleasant owing to the deadly heat and humidity. An absolute joy for kids and adults alike. There was even some pool service (drinks).

3. Breakfast: Some of the best croissants ever. And the other items in this cold breakfast are top drawer - superb.

4. Owners: The owners generally mean well. They will give you good directions and ideas, although their dining suggestion, Cricketamu's was a flop owing to it being overwhelmed with patrons (the food was great though, just took over 2 hours!). More on the owners in "Con's" below.

Con's:
1. The Building: Others have commented on it, both liking it and not. We did not. While the decor is "eclectic" to be kind, some of the finishings are completely worn, stained, or just ugly. Coconut/hemp "rope" wallpaper, completely stained carpets from the Flashdance 80's era, bathrooms that are from the 70's (in a bad way) that look like they were put together by amateurs. Musty smells, mould in the shower. Horrible!!

Bed was OK though.

The worst has to be our experience with the aircon. Some rooms have aircon - ours did. But because of the faulty installation, the condensed water leaked onto the already dilapidated carpet. Which smelled. The worst was yet to come! As I was in a rush I neglected to tell the front desk. Do you think the cleaning staff reported it (they had to walk through puddles on the carpet!) - no. So when I got back, there was a bigger mess. A plumber was called right away, but the solution was to just put a bucket in place. After enduring this drip-drip-drip torture all night, I asked to be moved the next day. This was done (by me, moving my own luggage), to a non-air conditioned room (ughh, thank god a storm brought some cooler air). I can perhaps forgive most of the above (with difficulty), but the worst was being told that "I" was the cause of this by the female owner, because "I" am an American (I'm not) and this would not have happened if "I" were French (but I am) because French people don't like aircon (but I do). And never mind that this leakage had occurred many times before (from the stains we noticed when we first got there, and as admitted by the owner). INEXCUSABLE BEHAVIOUR.

2. The Owners: See Con's 1.

3. WiFi: Although there is apparently free wifi in the rooms, one of the rooms we were in could not get reception - probably interference from the musty air and leaking aircon!

Conclusion:
This place "has-been". Yes Faye Dunaway stayed here 500 years ago - so what? It's outdated, the owners lack proper manners and there are tons of options in the area. Go elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank Canucdude